Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Google Fiber expands Triangle service to Brier Creek :: Editor's Blog at WRAL TechWire

Haven't given up on us yet. It is interesting which areas they are jumping to. They have a whole lot of infrastructure completed in Cary but comparatively little service there. Probably soon, though it see,s like they are waiting a few months between each area they start installs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Brier Creek Country Club homes were getting wired up last year. It's been completed for months; however, the service has not been offered to anyone yet.

The 124 patio homes Regency in BCCC were excluded from the laying of fiber by Google. I assume because those 124 homes are actually located in Durham County (while the rest of BCCC is in Wake county.)

We have noticed fiber being laid in the immediate area outside BCCC, but don't know if it's Google Fiber or AT&T. We suspect the former, and that it is simply a completion of what they started. Always on the Wake County sides.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:39 AM

163 posts, read 154,746 times
AT&T laid fiber in my neighborhood and started offering service within 4 months.

I drive through Brier Creek to get from our daycare to the elementary school and back nearly every day and it seems like they starting digging in that neighborhood early last summer, so it's about time they lit it up.

I certainly wouldn't take that as a sign that they are still aggressively rolling out to new locations, however.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
AT&T laid fiber in my neighborhood and started offering service within 4 months.

I drive through Brier Creek to get from our daycare to the elementary school and back nearly every day and it seems like they starting digging in that neighborhood early last summer, so it's about time they lit it up.

I certainly wouldn't take that as a sign that they are still aggressively rolling out to new locations, however.
Didn't necessarily mean it as such. However, they have continually said they will continue the build out in the Triangle and seem, so far to be living up to that, at a similar pace as other cities. Even in KC, where they have put some small number of people on hold, which many took to mean it was all shutting down, they have opened other areas of KC to installs. They've also added new areas of Charlotte, Atlanta and over cities where they have been working. So, while no one knows what their plans are and they could change, they are not currently in the process of shutting down here.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
I've given up for Wakefield

Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 PM

66 posts, read 82,583 times
Don't get too excited about Google fiber if price is also important for you. I live in Cary and got Internet and Phone for $80 but to add the least options TV, it is additional $80 making total at $160.

When I had TWC, my internet was spotty but I only paid $120 with taxes. Depends on your needs what you need. I would say Google installation, service (through online), and internet/phone were great with no downtimes for almost 5 months now.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuser View Post
Don't get too excited about Google fiber if price is also important for you. I live in Cary and got Internet and Phone for $80 but to add the least options TV, it is additional $80 making total at $160.

When I had TWC, my internet was spotty but I only paid $120 with taxes. Depends on your needs what you need. I would say Google installation, service (through online), and internet/phone were great with no downtimes for almost 5 months now.
How much less would it be without the phone service? You can get Ooma for less than $5/month. Just buy the Ooma modem for $100-120.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:37 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Phone is only $10/month.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Now that I've had att fiber for a couple months now I dont really care if Google makes it to my neighborhood. The only reason I would switch would be for their tv service since I have Dish now. I would have to compare cost and channels.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Google did lose a good number of potential customers with their slow expansion and lack of communication. Allowed ATT to come in ahead. Then again the only reason ATT ever came in with fiber is because Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary