Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 16,245 times

Advertisements

I am not in the Triangle area currently. I have read a lot about how Cary has a very low crime rate. They don't seem to tell you what this actually means.

As an example consider cities A, B, and C, and consider only crimes involving automobiles.
  • In city A everybody locks up their car in some type of enclosed parking most of the time.
  • In cities B and C everybody leaves their car parked on the street.
  • In cities A and B there are hardly any thefts of automobiles, break-ins into automobiles, smashed car windows, etc
  • In city C there are a lot of these crimes.
Suppose law enforcement presence is the same in all three cities.

Cities A and B both seem safe, based on the crime statistics. City C seems unsafe, based on the crime statistics.

But the safety of city A might an illusion—perhaps it's safe only because the bad people are just given fewer opportunities to commit crimes.

The safety of city B is real. There are many opportunities to commit crimes, yet crimes don't occur.

Is Cary like city A, where the low crime rate merely reflects fewer opportunities to commit crimes?

Or is it more like city B, where there are just as many opportunities to commit crimes as other unsafe cities, but nicer people live in Cary who just don't commit as many crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 PM

127 posts, read 135,281 times
A

People still leave their cars out, but in general most have garages. Cary isn't really a city, it's just a large section of subdivisions, that's the primary reason that the typical physical crime doesn't occur.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Pretty much any town with Cary's demographics (income, education) would have low street-crime rates. Even neighborhoods of big cities with that kind of wealth are generally safe.

Believe me, having grown up there and then moved to Chicago's south side: it's not because Cary residents are particularly street-smart!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 PM

346 posts, read 339,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
A

People still leave their cars out, but in general most have garages. Cary isn't really a city, it's just a large section of subdivisions, that's the primary reason that the typical physical crime doesn't occur.
This is so, so true.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'm an intelligent, we'll educated woman, but I'm not sure I get your question. And aren't you the member who posted about looming for the statics on gender ratios and ethnicity in The Triangle?

Yeah, you were //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...l#post49470988

I've moved twice, cross country, to cities I had never visited before. Once before the internet, when 'research materials' consisted of outdated census books at the library and current Yellow Pages that allowed me to count the number of Chinese restaurants. Now, with the internet, one can get a better idea, but it's never accurate until you get there.

Seriously - at some point statistics are just a way of avoiding taking action. If you WANT to move, get on with it. Make a visit and get a job first.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 PM

17 posts, read 16,245 times
Thanks to all of you. Those were helpful answers. So it would seem that Cary really does have people that commit fewer crimes. It's not just an illusion.

Intelligent and educated persons should note that were it not for looking things up on the Internet, I would have never heard of Cary.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I came from a place where people left their cars and houses unlocked and there was never a need to worry about it. I'm not saying Cary is unsafe by any means, but that doesn't fly here. There are a surprising amount of people roaming around the streets at night looking for unlocked car an house doors. There are home invasions every once in a while.

To me I personally don't consider this low crime, but as with anything it's all a matter of what you're used to. Some people don't consider "crimes of opportunity" to be real crime, but I think that's silly.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:35 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
There's nothing wrong with looking things up on the internet, but don't get too hung up on statistics. They're too easily manipulated and you end up missing the "bigger picture".

Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Cary isn't really a city
Good so far, because, yep, it is not a city, it is a town.

Quote:
it's just a large section of subdivisions
Nope. There's a lot of subdivisions, sure, but it is a real town.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonc View Post
Thanks to all of you. Those were helpful answers. So it would seem that Cary really does have people that commit fewer crimes. It's not just an illusion.

Intelligent and educated persons should note that were it not for looking things up on the Internet, I would have never heard of Cary.
Degree from Google University?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary