Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 PM

70 posts, read 93,118 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing local parents' thoughts on the different consignment sales and stores in the Triangle. I just got my check from Kids Everywear and only got about 55% of what I expected. All those hours of sorting, tagging, driving to and from the outlet mall resulted in netting $9/hour! They take a $12 fee and 1/3 of your sales prices. Last time I only got a third of what I had expected. It's a good place to shop and hunt, but I'm about ready to give up on selling there.

Last week I also returned to Upscale Resale in Cary and got one item, new, that was a good deal. Their selection is much smaller but sometimes there are good buys too.

Kids Exchange in Raleigh was an absolute madhouse and nightmare of crowds. The last time I went was about 8 years ago with a friend, and I helped her wait in line almost an hour to pay for her items. I've never been back since.

As for brick and mortar stores, I've gotten a little more for my stuff at Once upon a Child in Cary, compared to Kid to Kid. The crossroads Cary store is mostly beat up stuff. The Apex location is much better though the selection of clothing is limited. There's a new upscale consignment store called Ever After Kids on High House near Cary Pkwy. It is tiny but has the best quality clothes and shoes as well as better brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,175,923 times
I usually sell things that hold their value on BST groups (Patagonia jackets, Livie and Luca shoes, smocked outfits). Mostly items with a cult following.

The Gap stuff I will sometimes sell on eBay. The Carter's/Target/Old Navy stuff I just donate, because it is usually stained and generally does not hold any value. Most people would rather buy brand new.

I was really excited to shop those sales when I first moved here, but since I don't work at or sell at them, it's usually picked over, overpriced, and full of the stuff I would typically donate and it's generally in very used, pilled condition. I typically buy play clothes new from Target and fancy items from the BST groups, because I know I can generally sell for the price I paid secondhand.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
The Kidcycle sale is much smaller than Kids Everywear and is only for kids' stuff until about size 16, but I've consigned there before and generally been happy with what I've received. However, I have never consigned at Kids Everywear to compare it to (have shopped there many times, though). And I probably have fairly low expectations. I am a regular seller on eBay so I sell my high-dollar items there. I don't find the entering of items and tagging to be too much work. And I just do one trip to the mall for dropoff, and I'm done. It all gets donated at the end; I don't pick anything back up.

For Kidcycle, you pay a $9 consignment fee and you get 70% return. Here's the link:

Kidcycle Consignment

Last edited by michgc; 09-22-2017 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I did Kidcycle a time or two also and thought they had a good operation. I wasn't very concerned with what I got for my stuff, though. I mostly just wanted to move it along out of my house and any $$ I got from it were icing on the cake.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your tips. I'll look into Kid Cycle. I have tried eBay but with the relatively high cost of shopping it's not worth it for most of my kids' clothes. As a buyer, I can get awesome deals but it's hard to be a seller.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 PM

btw, Kid to Kid at Cary Crossroads has closed down. it was always more run down with not as good a selection, compared to the Apex one.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 PM

230 posts, read 254,734 times
As a shopper, Kids Everywear is my favorite! I always get the best deals for me and my son! As a consignor, I have done Good 2 Grow because it was more convenient and cheaper fees than other sales. I'm not sure if they have raised their fees since I last consigned, but I am ready to consign again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary