Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:27 AM

259 posts, read 242,959 times

Advertisements

While I can accept that stuff happens and a tree can fall, I have trouble with this particular instance. The fact that tree was so decayed that it's trunk is hollow enough to fit a small adult seems clear enough that my neighbor has some responsibility, if not all.

The reason I mentioned the first branch falling on another neighbors yard, is because, in my mind, that should have been clear indication that the tree was unhealthy and posed a risk.

I spoke to my insurer and they weren't to helpful, but I will reach out to them again. I have no interest in claiming against my insurer because the consequences would be adverse given the costs I would like to recoup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM

259 posts, read 242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, there's no recourse unless you knew the tree was dead or in bad shape and notified your neighbor of same. You can win that case, but with no prior notice from you or anyone else that something was wrong with the tree, you're out of luck.
ok. I suspected as much and this is good information going forward. I thought the tree was in bad shape and
had I known I would have taken this action.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
I've been on both sides of this and it's worked the same way. The person with the damage makes the claim for repairs. It stinks when you have to do all the work. So when my tree fell in my neighbor's yard this summer, I paid someone to cut it up, haul it away, and fix his fence. We just kept insurance out of it since there was no damage to his house, we were friendly neighbors, and it wasn't that big of a tree.

There was zero indication of issues prior to it falling too. If there had been, I would have taken care of it. I didn't want to be "that" neighbor when a storm comes and everyone who lives within striking distance of an obviously diseased tree is worried about it falling.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
I'm in Raleigh. About a month ago a large branch from my neighbors tree fell in his neighbors yard<>Last week, it was my turn as the remain trunk gave way and the tree fell into my yard<>
Did anybody hear it?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
ok. I suspected as much and this is good information going forward. I thought the tree was in bad shape and
had I known I would have taken this action.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
In the future, put it in writing. To the homeowner, the HOA, the town, whatever. That way, if the tree falls, you'll go through your homeowners but they will have a better shot at surrogating against the other homeowner.

When we lived in NY I sent a letter to the village where we lived every year about the tree in front of my house. It was top heavy and leaned toward my house. They sent an arborist every year and said it was fine. We moved, Sandy happened and half the trees in the village came down but not that one, but the village removed it 6 months later.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Your insurance would cover such issues. Falling trees or their limbs are had to attach culpability to your neighbour, even if they did know that its condition was precarious. You really need to take pictures and bring it to their attention via certified mail but, at the end of the d ay, you cant force them to remove it

Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
This happened to me when the wind snapped the top off of one of my trees and did slight damage to my neighbor's gutter and fascia board. I called my insurance company to come take a look and assess damage thinking I had to pay. It was a quick phone call.....was told that it was not my liability and it fell under the neighbor's insurance to pay for the damage /repairs.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:35 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
If it's in your yard, it's your tree. Doesn't matter where it stood originally.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I thought the rule of thumb was, if the tree was dead, it's the land owners fault where the tree stood. If the tree was alive, it's bad luck and the homeowner who incurred the damage is responsible. It's pretty easy to tell if the tree was dead.

If it was me, I would call my homeowners and make a claim and let them figure out how to be made whole.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I thought the rule of thumb was, if the tree was dead, it's the land owners fault where the tree stood. If the tree was alive, it's bad luck and the homeowner who incurred the damage is responsible. It's pretty easy to tell if the tree was dead.

If it was me, I would call my homeowners and make a claim and let them figure out how to be made whole.
alive or dead doesn't make any difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: