Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are two families with toddlers (3 to 4 year olds). I don't want to go to Gatlinburg TN. Too crowded, besides been there many times.

Any other places within 3 to 5 hour drive for fall colors? Should be family/kid friendly. Would prefer to rent cabin but also open to hotels. Just a weekend trip 2 nights tops.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Just anywhere in the mountains. Plenty of cabins all over. Gatlinburg -- I'm with ya, yeech!

You could go somewhere like Blowing Rock or Asheville, but they will be crowded too. Not Gatlinburg level insanity, but definitely bustling with leaf peepers. Anywhere from the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Tennessee line should be great.

What do you want in the way of family/kid-friendly? Hotels will book up, better get on it.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:48 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Every time I made plans to see fall colors in the mountains it rained the whole weekend. I thought the colors were just as nice around the triangle anyway. I liked driving out past Jordan Lake towards Pittsboro on 64, or driving up highway 50 from Raleigh towards Creedmore. There's plenty hillsides around to showcase the colors.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
Fairy Stone Park in Va.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,927 times
West Virginia would be my choice. It's about three hours to Bluefield, WV
and about four hours to the New River gorge area. The New River Gorge is
beautiful and you can get some fantastic shots of the bridge and fall colors.
Hiking the Endless Wall Trail is fairly easy and the scenery is breathtaking. It
can be dangerous and I'm not sure it would be a good choice for toddlers.
Concho Overlook is incredible and you're looking down at the river in a horseshoe
curve at Thurmond, WV. Thurmond is worth the trip as well if you're that close.
It's basically a ghost town but the train depot and town are really cool. It was the town
back in the day and one of the wealthiest as well from what I've read. Here is a photo
I took of the depot in Thurmond, WV...

If anyone likes trains then I'd suggest the Pokey (Norfolk Southern's Pocahontas route).
There is nothing like the sound of several locomotives working hard to get up those mountains...

If you follow the Pokey route it will really make you appreciate what you have or how bad you
THOUGHT you had it. The demise of the coal industry has hit this area hard. I've included a link
to the Frograil tour of the Pokey. Even if you're not a railfan it makes for some good reading.

Frograil Rail Tours -- NS Tidewater to Lakes Railfan Tour

I can't help you on the cabins or places to stay etc. I always do a day trip when I go.
Wherever you go have fun and be safe!

Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Hello,
We are two families with toddlers (3 to 4 year olds). I don't want to go to Gatlinburg TN. Too crowded, besides been there many times.

Any other places within 3 to 5 hour drive for fall colors? Should be family/kid friendly. Would prefer to rent cabin but also open to hotels. Just a weekend trip 2 nights tops.

thanks
Wherever you go, you need to make reservations Now.
We have a small b&b in Todd and October has been booked for months.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 AM

43,281 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Go to the NC Zoo south of Asheboro.

Great scenery, and great outing for the kids.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Go to the NC Zoo south of Asheboro.

Great scenery, and great outing for the kids.
Beautiful drive up that way

Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 AM

43,281 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Beautiful drive up that way
The direct route out US 64 is great. Swinging south is great, too.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:39 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,377 times
I go as a day trip, but I'm sure you could find a rental near Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock state parks north of Winston-Salem. There's a major road construction project going on in WS, so check out mapping/traffic ahead of time.

I went to South Mountain state park, south of Morganton, once and really enjoyed it.

A walk in Duke Forest is great if you don't have the time to head to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary