Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 9,534 times

Advertisements

I'm not really very familiar with Raleigh real estate. I'm currently in CA, and trying to find out more about the different areas. Is the North Hills/North Raleigh location considered highly desirable? Is it customary to pay upwards of 400K for a townhome in the beltline?

Please advise.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
Are you looking at th Ashton Woods townhomes? I think those are in the $400K price range, because they are billed as luxury town homes and have very nice finishes. Being inside the beltline definitely increases the price. The area is really nice and having easy proximity to 440/access to downtown is nice, plus I like living near the North Hills Shopping Center which I can walk to from my home. I think the area will continue to be desirable due to its proximity to the City Center and the development John Kane continues to do. It's not an ideal commute if you work in RTP, but fine for downtown Raleigh and Cary.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM

If you are talking about Ashton Woods, I would caution that that particular development butts up against 440 and the surrounding area (Wake Forest) feels a little industrial, but you'd be right next Trader Joe's, Costco, Kroger, and an unbuilt Wegman's

Old 09-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
If you are talking about Ashton Woods, I would caution that that particular development butts up against 440 and the surrounding area (Wake Forest) feels a little industrial, but you'd be right next Trader Joe's, Costco, Kroger, and an unbuilt Wegman's
I do like the development very much. I'm curious, what is the issue with the 440? There are a few townhomes, whose back yard locations face the 440. I've noticed that the backyards of those townhomes have some noise issues, from the cars, but I was told that the city could very well build a privacy wall, and this would alleviate the noise. How likely is this? I'm not sure if the city is very pro-active about these sort of issues, or not?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:27 PM

I'm not really sure, but I imagine it would be noisy. I lived in the apartment buildings just down the street when we first moved to Raleigh. I was surprised there was a market for luxury town homes at that price point, but I guess it's bigger than the 1960s split level home that I purchased in North Hills. That location is zoned for some excellent schools, but I'm not sure what type of people they are attracting.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina234 View Post
I do like the development very much. I'm curious, what is the issue with the 440? There are a few townhomes, whose back yard locations face the 440. I've noticed that the backyards of those townhomes have some noise issues, from the cars, but I was told that the city could very well build a privacy wall, and this would alleviate the noise. How likely is this? I'm not sure if the city is very pro-active about these sort of issues, or not?
A sound wall will reduce, but not alleviate, noise.

For the money, it seems like there should be agreeable choices without the 440 proximity.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:51 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
There's been studies that have shown increased health problems for people who live in properties directly backing up to a freeway.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
On paper, one might think that this is a good location and, frankly, it is. However, it doesn't come without its challenges. IMO, it's one thing to be interstate adjacent and "inside the Beltline" (you'll learn that cache after you move to Raleigh and then decide for yourself if it's worth the $ or not), it's completely another to be ITB and against a freeway with so much so close but not walkable. For me to put up with the freeway, I better darn well be able to really walk to things. Sure Trader Joe's is close and technically walkable but you'll have to cross one of Raleigh's busiest arteries to do so in an area where drivers aren't necessarily thinking about pedestrians.
That said, I suspect that if these townhouses were closer to North Hills and walkable to it, they'd be more expensive.
Though not brand-new, I'd look at the Ramblewood townhouses and condos nearer North Hills proper. While not on the same side of the interstate as North Hills, there is a reasonable and safe walking route to it via Ramblewood Dr. and Lassiter Mill Rd. You also won't back up to the freeway. Plus, there's already a high brick wall separating the other side of Ramblewood Dr. from I-440.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina234 View Post
Is the North Hills/North Raleigh location considered highly desirable?
So "North Raleigh" covers a lot of ground and it depends on exactly where you are talking. The area near North Hills in N. Raleigh, if I look at Zillow (FWIW), it shows the market for some of the homes in that area I checked as "Very Cold".

We are kicking the tires on a move right now and the base schools in that area, especially Carroll Middle, really turned us off. I'm not, at all, one of these super crazy people about school rankings, but I also don't really want to send my kid off to a school with really low ratings and a bad rep. Even if you don't have kids, this area is so driven by families that it has a big effect on real estate demand/prices.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There's been studies that have shown increased health problems for people who live in properties directly backing up to a freeway.
The backyard spaces of the townhomes facing the 440 is separated by ample trees, but I do worry about the noise issues. You can't really enjoy the outdoor area, with all of the noise.

I will do some research concerning the health implications. It's all very interesting, but I must admit that I really loved the floor plan and overall high quality finishes of the town homes. I'm just trying to figure out, if the wall is built, will the value of those townhomes go up?? I love that it's so close to the north hills areas.. literary a 5 minute or so drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary