Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 PM

49 posts, read 174,327 times

Advertisements

I did a search, but it seems like most of the non-neighborhood swimming and gym questions are about Raleigh and Cary. I'm new to the area and want to take the time before getting a new job to get in shape. I'd like to do some swimming and possibly join a gym with pilates or aerobic classes. We have limited funds since we're both currently unemployed but we could definitely afford a gym that's around $20/month.

We live in the Northgate area and I noticed that the Edison Johnson Aquatic Center is near us and they have reasonable rates for lap swimming. Anyone have experience with this center? If it's not a great place to go, any other suggestions in the Durham area?

What about low cost gyms in Durham for aerobics/pilates?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,330 times
You may want to check out your local YMCA. they offer classes of all sorts.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM

108 posts, read 494,411 times
The price of a class is not always an indication of the talent or experience of the instuctor but watch out for low priced or discounted Pilates studios. An great instructor can be nothing short of amzing. An instructor without adequate training and experience can be potentially dangerous. There are some Y's or gyms with awesome instructors. Just check their background before trusting them w/ your body.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,673 times
The local Masters team swims at the Campus Hills Pool and I've swam with them a few times DAMA Swimming

You might also look into the Hillsborough Sportsplex. Triangle Sportsplex : Where family, fun, and fitness meet!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 AM

49 posts, read 174,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
You may want to check out your local YMCA. they offer classes of all sorts.
Yeah, I looked at the Y near me, but they're so expensive - over $40/month with a $110 registration fee.

I'll check out the other pools - thanks for the info!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,214 times
I used to swim at the Edison Johnson. Lap swimming is fine. In the Summer lookout because there are kids EVERYWHERE!! So few gyms have a pool for swimming. I joined the Center for Living fitness center at Duke, they have a nice pool that is rarely that busy. It is quite expensive though.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
I used to swim at the Edison Johnson. Lap swimming is fine. In the Summer lookout because there are kids EVERYWHERE!! So few gyms have a pool for swimming. I joined the Center for Living fitness center at Duke, they have a nice pool that is rarely that busy. It is quite expensive though.
Last Summer I took my kids to Edison Johnson a few times from late July to August. We did not experience crowds at all. Usually about 5-8 kids in the pool lanes on the left. But the lap lanes on the right were empty. I'm not sure if we just hit it at off times or what.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM

36 posts, read 108,263 times
I do know that most Y's have a sliding membership scale based on your income. It never hurts to check it out. Plus, Y's have free childcare while you are working out, etc. Most clubs/gyms you have to pay for that.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Last Summer I took my kids to Edison Johnson a few times from late July to August. We did not experience crowds at all. Usually about 5-8 kids in the pool lanes on the left. But the lap lanes on the right were empty. I'm not sure if we just hit it at off times or what.
That could be possible, I was going on my way home from work, right around 5pm and it seemed to fill up. Sometimes there were swimming classes going on as well in the left lanes which meant the kids were coming in the lap lanes sometimes. It is a good place to swim and cheap too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary