Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 5,277 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my daughter is 9 and at the moment really wants to dance professionally. What would you suggest as the best dance studios that provide great training and performance opportunities? We are not interested in having her do competitions. She currently takes ballet, tap, jazz and modern. We live in the Wake Forest/Zebulon area and would prefer to stay 30 minutes or under drive time. She has taken summer classes at Raleigh School of Ballet and loved it, but its too far of a drive for class every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until I was 21. That girl is on top of things!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Yes she is! I know she is young and it may change, but want to give her the opportunity to improve on her dance skills in case she doesn't change her mind.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't know in Wake Forest (could tell you a few places in Chapel Hill and Durham), but definitely get her involved in the ADF classes in the summer in Durham when she is old enough. Not sure how young they take them, but that is some serious professional level stuff there. Actually Madonna is an ADF alumna!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
I think finding an non-competitive school will be difficult. My daughter attends Taylor Academy of Dance in Wake Forest and they have recitals but not competitions.

It does seem at odds that she wants to dance professionally but doesn't want to do competitions...the one is required to do the other

Last edited by RDUBiker; 10-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: grammar police

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlop View Post
Hi all, my daughter is 9 and at the moment really wants to dance professionally. What would you suggest as the best dance studios that provide great training and performance opportunities? We are not interested in having her do competitions. She currently takes ballet, tap, jazz and modern. We live in the Wake Forest/Zebulon area and would prefer to stay 30 minutes or under drive time. She has taken summer classes at Raleigh School of Ballet and loved it, but its too far of a drive for class every week.
Wants to dance professionally but you don't want her to do competitions?

Every future audition is a competition.

I teach dance...

Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlop View Post
Keep in mind that I'm in my 40s, so my experience with this school is limited, but as a kid her age, I took classes here:

Home

This was back when Debby Massey Driver was teaching, but the school has expanded a great deal and I really loved it at your daughter's age.

When I was older and living in Raleigh, I took dance classes at a place that I think merged with another studio and I cannot recall which one, so I wouldn't want to recommend.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM

@LLCNYC and @RDUBiker, She would probably be fine doing competitions, but as parents we are not ready for it. I have been to a few and do not agree with some of the costumes and dance moves that these young girls are doing and rewarded for. I know both City Ballet and Carolina Dance Center have strong programs, and are not required to compete. But, want to make sure we know all our options and would love personal experiences from dance studios people are at, or have been at.

Last edited by swarlop; 10-05-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 02:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There are lots of dance schools in Chapel Hill and Durham that don't require competitions with alumni that go on to dance professionally. My kids were into dance when they were younger, but their interest lagged and they dropped it as they got older.

Really ADF is the thing in this area. You can't get a better dance education than that around here. It's just a truly world class and phenomenal resource that we have in our area. They do have youth classes now, I see. Maybe take one class there and see what you and she thinks. It's a drive I know, but if she's really serious...

Youth Classes - American Dance Festival

The Intensives were what I was thinking of when I first mentioned ADF. If she's still serious about dance when she's 13 sign her up for this: http://www.americandancefestival.org...e-week-school/

Competitions are not necessary for a professional dance career and I would say are actually not recommended either.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I think finding an non-competitive school will be difficult. My daughter attends Taylor Academy of Dance in Wake Forest and they have recitals but not competitions.

It does seem at odds that she wants to dance professionally but doesn't want to do competitions...the one is required to do the other
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are lots of dance schools in Chapel Hill and Durham that don't require competitions with alumni that go on to dance professionally. My kids were into dance when they were younger, but their interest lagged and they dropped it as they got older.

Really ADF is the thing in this area. You can't get a better dance education than that around here. It's just a truly world class and phenomenal resource that we have in our area. They do have youth classes now, I see. Maybe take one class there and see what you and she thinks. It's a drive I know, but if she's really serious...

Youth Classes - American Dance Festival

The Intensives were what I was thinking of when I first mentioned ADF. If she's still serious about dance when she's 13 sign her up for this: Three Week School - American Dance Festival

Competitions are not necessary for a professional dance career and I would say are actually not recommended either.

Thank you Poppdog! I have added them to my list of summer intensives for when she gets older. Thank you for the great suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary