Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:39 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You actually think that only employers in the Triangle lack loyalty?

Glad to see you're back to your old delusional self

The days of employer/employee loyalty are looooooooong gone - everywhere.
And have been for about 30 years, when my father was let go after 30+years at his company just as he came up to his 55th birthday....and he knew it was coming because it had happened to all his co-workers.

Big difference between then and now was that his private sector job had a nice pension, and he got the "golden parachute"....but yeah, none of what's happening here is Triangle specific. Contract employees? Ask the guys who lost their Wall Street jobs 10 years who they're "working for".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM

85 posts, read 116,796 times
It's kind of a sad to see layoffs but this area can see major impact on housing if this happens in few other companies , especially IT field . There's a influx of Indians in the are and 90% are in the IT field , buying or have bought brand new homes blindly. Any change in the job and it becomes difficult to get a job here, it's not like D.C. , Maryland or Virginia where there are tons of opportunities.
IMO, sooner or later I see housing price decline in this are.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 AM

190 posts, read 200,094 times
What happened to Citrix regarding job layoff is not a prediction for other IT companies in the triangle. Citrix has been in a bad shape for the last couple of years in term of financials compare to other software companies. So, it is not a surprise they are laying off people as the former CEO was not able to change the trend. I will not dig into Citrix offering or porfolio, but they were not able to move on from their leading product that has become a legacy product with not so much growth ahead. Citrix has became more a laggard than an innovator the last couple of years.

So, I would be cautious about making a generalization to all software IT companies from the Citrix example.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM

111 posts, read 88,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
What happened to Citrix regarding job layoff is not a prediction for other IT companies in the triangle. Citrix has been in a bad shape for the last couple of years in term of financials compare to other software companies. So, it is not a surprise they are laying off people as the former CEO was not able to change the trend. I will not dig into Citrix offering or porfolio, but they were not able to move on from their leading product that has become a legacy product with not so much growth ahead. Citrix has became more a laggard than an innovator the last couple of years.

So, I would be cautious about making a generalization to all software IT companies from the Citrix example.
For the Sharefile component of Citrix, the news of layoffs in 10/17 seems like oddball news after their announcement only 10 months prior:

Citrix Expands ShareFile Headquarters in Raleigh - Wake County Economic Development

Just for the record, my generalization was based on observations made as someone involved in software development for several decades, and throughout that time I've never known a developer to have an opposing theory or tell me they can develop better software in noisy or chaotic environments. The need to "get in the zone" and not be intermittently pulled out of it, in order to fully concentrate and do quality work is very well understood in this industry, and I'm not the only one that's seen entire companies implode simply because decisions about the environment developers should be working in were made by people who know absolutely nothing about the software engineering process (finance, HR, etc).

It happens time and time again; I guess each successive generation is just destined to things the hard way. I guess it can't be any other way in an industry that penalizes senior level people with the experience to avoid these pitfalls, they'd rather have younger, cheaper people who keep their noises buried in their smartphone and social media, and once you eliminate the folks who have been there done that and could pass the experience along, learning the hard way is the only option left.
I never figured that one out, of my three sharpest developers, 2 of them are in their 60s and one is in their 50s. They run circles around their younger colleagues; their experience and work ethic delivers to my business approximately 2-3 times the overall value that their nearest millennial equivalent does, for only about 20-25% more salary. It's just unfortunate that there are so many clueless HR people out there who are put in charge of decisions they are unqualified to make, and the companies destroyed and the livelihoods impacted as a result of this.

Last edited by rubelru; 10-08-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 03:07 PM

346 posts, read 339,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Hope this event occurs soon.

Idk ... it seems like cities/areas are either in growth mode or contracting with jobs being the catalyst.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
The open office concept is basically the same as the open classroom concept in the 1970s - what a garbled mess that was. Supposedly it enhanced the learning environment by being able to combine classes for various tasks, lessons, etc. but instead it promoted distraction, noise, inattention and interruptions. Those shiny new open classroom schools had walls being constructed within 3 years. I always thought being cheaper played into that open design.

What goes around comes around - it is amazing how some people think they are brilliantly thinking up new concepts. I saw so many failed recycled concepts throughout my career packaged as "the best new thing" that it would have been comical if not so worthless.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
I don't understand what all the talk about open concept has anything to do with layoffs? We're not talking about people who left voluntarily.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what all the talk about open concept has anything to do with layoffs? We're not talking about people who left voluntarily.
Once again, distractions lead to lost productivity, poor software quality, bad morale, nonconstructive stress, etc.
This translates into unsatisfied customers and lower sales, which inevitably results in staff reductions.

I'm not saying it's the sole factor here, but I guarantee if they were putting developers in open offices, it will contribute hugely to their downfall until it is remedied.

Seems quite a coincidence that less than a year ago with the shiny new office digs, projections were looking rosy and now this?....Especially since the tech economy is the healthiest its been in years -- most companies are growing unless they're doing something wrong, and supposedly Sharefile was doing something right until this creative new office environment came along... Luckily this should lead to minimum downtime and job searching for most folks.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelru View Post
Once again, distractions lead to lost productivity, poor software quality, bad morale, nonconstructive stress, etc.
This translates into unsatisfied customers and lower sales, which inevitably results in staff reductions.

I'm not saying it's the sole factor here, but I guarantee if they were putting developers in open offices, it will contribute hugely to their downfall until it is remedied.

Seems quite a coincidence that less than a year ago with the shiny new office digs, projections were looking rosy and now this?....Especially since the tech economy is the healthiest its been in years -- most companies are growing unless they're doing something wrong, and supposedly Sharefile was doing something right until this creative new office environment came along... Luckily this should lead to minimum downtime and job searching for most folks.
The Raleigh office is the product of the Sharefile acquisition. The SMB file storage/sharing market is extremely competitive (think Dropbox, Box, OneDrive). I don't think this layoff has anything to do with poor quality, it's strictly a strategy change.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The Raleigh office is the product of the Sharefile acquisition. The SMB file storage/sharing market is extremely competitive (think Dropbox, Box, OneDrive). I don't think this layoff has anything to do with poor quality, it's strictly a strategy change.
The definition of "poor quality software" can mean many things to many people. Techies might think "bug ridden", but it can also mean software that, when placed side-by-side with competition, does not present itself competitively, in which case the reasons that have been circulating the media could be considered software quality problems (i.e. if Dropbox and others are doing ok, and Sharefile isn't keeping up, then there is one or more factors responsible for that -- would you agree?)

Also, Dropbox et all are consumer products, I don't know that this was ever Sharefiles market. I'm not that familiar with their products but I believe it's more like a workflow-oriented document management solution than it is a consumer product that happens to have some level of enterprise penetration like Dropbox. Many of my customers have blocked consumer cloud services inside their firewall so that employees cannot get themselves or the company into trouble -- I got the impression Sharefile was catering to that group of folks. Maybe not, but I still stand by all my points. Distractions may not be the only reason for Sharefile's recent trouble, but if they were foolish enough to put engineers in open environments, it is most certainly a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary