Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times

Advertisements

Culling "the bottom 15%" as an annual, obligatory exercise is being practiced by fewer companies these days, but there are still some that follow the Jack Welch model. It can be done with or without a first-to-last ranking. On the other hand, when the job market is tight, some people will avoid companies that do the 15% thing repeatedly.

Any type of financial shortfall is a good excuse for a company to get rid of people. Sometimes it's good people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, sometimes it's poor performers, but usually it's both.

Yes, the larger the employer, the more difficult it tends to be to get rid of someone. There are exceptions but I believe this is a general rule. Usually there are subtle ways to encourage someone to leave, and of course there is the outright buyout.

Performance appraisals are often "soft" or BS-filled. That's not inevitable, but doing them the right way takes time, effort, courage, training, and interpersonal skills. Many managers are deficient in one or more of those, and then the appraisal process becomes a joke or something to keep HR happy. Or it's just not the company culture.

Suppose you're a second-level manager running a group of 40 people, organized in five departments each led by a first-level manager. I've done first-to-last as a way to ensure that there is consensus in evaluations across the entire team of 40. In that respect, first-to-last can have value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:20 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
The biggest issue with the culling methodology is how employees are rated.

Sometimes employees are a protected class which requires more paperwork and justification. Usually it just means they get to stick around because managers are not likely to put in the extra work / conflict required override such cases.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
on the Citrix topic...here's a more recent article.

Dozens laid off from Citrix's Raleigh hub but hiring to continue :: Editor's Blog at WRAL TechWire

seems both the 2 laid-off people quoted were in sales, and both very recent hires. I DO know that software/application sales is a different beast than I've ever been used to.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Dozens laid off from Citrix's Raleigh hub but hiring to continue :: Editor's Blog at WRAL TechWire

seems both the 2 laid-off people quoted were in sales, and both very recent hires. I DO know that software/application sales is a different beast than I've ever been used to.
I read the article. How horrible to be hired and then almost immediately laid off. This doesn't sound like a pair of decisions made by a well run company.
I feel for these people since they make a life decision and then get canned before they can even prove themselves.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Bringing employees into an office, having them pack up their belongings, then forcing them to leave and mailing them their belongings is a pretty cruel way to fire employees.
So is laying off a significant amount of people via a prerecorded conference call. Most people had been with the company for over 20 years.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

There were others that had been with Citrix for quite a few years that were let go as well. Luckily my daughter left earlier this year due to a better offer in a new city. There was so much talk while she was there about them possibly being acquired by another company (e.g Microsoft).

Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
There were others that had been with Citrix for quite a few years that were let go as well. Luckily my daughter left earlier this year due to a better offer in a new city. There was so much talk while she was there about them possibly being acquired by another company (e.g Microsoft).
I'm very glad my IT career was with Federal government.

Quite a few employees who left us for more money came back begging for a job after a quick layoff in the private sector.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:26 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Alex, I'll take "things people have rarely uttered" for $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
what did those others do?

Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Quite a few employees who left us for more money came back begging for a job after a quick layoff in the private sector.
Ah yes - Federal Government, where IT workers go to die.

Seriously though - while gov't IT can be stable, there's very little room to advance yourself technologically, as gov't is usually 10 years behind the curve. People go there to be stagnant and stay in their comfort bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary