Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my wife and I are looking at buying a house in the triangle but it's pretty hard to find something nice under 200k that's not a significant ways from the city. We're in our lower 30s with a newborn, so we're looking for somewhere convenient but family friendly.

There are several nice homes in the 27604 zip code, we are looking at one in the Southall neighborhood and they seem underpriced for the size and quality compared to other areas in Raleigh.

Is it a bad area that we should avoid? It looks nice from Google maps, but pictures aren't the same as experience.

I found some posts here mentioning that there were some crime issues in some of the surrounding areas, but not necessarily in Southall itself? They were also older posts from 2011; a lot can change in six years so I was hoping for more current observations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:03 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I would not recommend the neighborhood. While the houses are pretty decent and low priced, it is not what I would consider a desirable community. I have a friend who used to live there and when I'd visit, there would be lots of teens/young adults roaming the streets at night. She had neighbors, many of whom did not keep up their yards. She has since moved.

If I had less than $200K to spend on a house, I would go to Clayton. Nice area.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
We used to live on New Hope Rd.

Not the worst, but not the best area.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:30 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
We used to live on New Hope Rd.

Not the worst, but not the best area.
Thats about right. The best thing to do spend some time in the area and get a feel or the place for yourself. I have 3 friends who bought in Southall when the neighborhood went in. They're still there and plan to stay last I heard. The location isn't bad either.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I had a couple of buyers move in when the n'hood was new but I haven't had anyone move in in many years.

Back then, it was a great n'hood, with pool. I know it went through a rough area but has it rebounded? I think the biggest issue are the schools.

Some n'hoods improve and some don't. Seems to be a cycle with some. Since I haven't had buyers or sellers in Southall for many years, I haven't been keeping up with it. I think one of the issues is that the schools weren't the best.

I agree with Poggly...go hang out for a while. Walk around. Talk to the neighbors.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 PM

So we went to the neighborhood today and talked to a few of the would-be neighbors in the cul-de-sac. Seems like, at least for that section, that it's a pretty nice, family-oriented everyone knows each other kind of atmosphere. They couldn't really speak for the rest of the neighborhood, but several of them have been there for 15+ years and felt they would be hard pressed to leave.

The schools were the big sticking point, especially the base elementary school, but apparently the Magnet and Charter school options are plentiful enough that having an undesired base school isn't the end of discussion.

We'll be touring the house tomorrow and taking another look at the area. Not settled on it, but that north-eastern corner seemed nice.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlink View Post
So we went to the neighborhood today and talked to a few of the would-be neighbors in the cul-de-sac. Seems like, at least for that section, that it's a pretty nice, family-oriented everyone knows each other kind of atmosphere. They couldn't really speak for the rest of the neighborhood, but several of them have been there for 15+ years and felt they would be hard pressed to leave.

The schools were the big sticking point, especially the base elementary school, but apparently the Magnet and Charter school options are plentiful enough that having an undesired base school isn't the end of discussion.

We'll be touring the house tomorrow and taking another look at the area. Not settled on it, but that north-eastern corner seemed nice.
Be advised that magnets and charters are not automatically available. You must win places by lottery which is a very uncertain proposition.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Be advised that magnets and charters are not automatically available. You must win places by lottery which is a very uncertain proposition.
Oh, good to know!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I would personally try to resist the temptation. Even if this will be a starter home and you plan on moving in a few years, homes in that area likely won't appreciate like other parts of the Triangle will. You'll be left with much less equity to put toward another house.

If it were me, I'd go condo or small older house in a more desirable part of Raleigh, or Apex or Cary. I think you'll feel safer, and it will be a better investment in the long run. Put in a little sweat equity, and you can likely upgrade to something a little larger in the future when you need/want a little more space.

Kudos to you for staying within your budget and not falling into the OMG I need a brand new house with 5000sf for entertaining!!!! crowd.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
^^^ Agree, a quick search shows some small but nice houses in Cary and Apex for under $200K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary