Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking Pittsburgh. It's hip now, has a good cost of living, and has Carnegie Mellon robotics nearby. Amazon likes robots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,161,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Hopefully they included $5-7 Billion in tax credits in those 32 pounds!

I'm not saying that will cause Amazon to pick the Triangle (still think Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Boston have better shots), but $5-7 Billion does make companies take notice.
I certainly hope that Ryan Combs and the others know what they are doing when shipping this via FedEx the day before the deadline and making it publicly visible.

I once shipped a proposal to an RFP to a state government office using FedEx and it was diverted to and held at a hub location for some unknown reason. I contacted FedEx and they couldn't tell me exactly why it was delayed, but nevertheless the package arrived after the deadline and they couldn't accept it. Apparently with government RFPs, submittals must be received by the deadline stipulated in the RFP and stamped with the date/time upon receipt. If its not received by the cutoff time, they must return it to the sender. This is mandated by law and there are no exceptions.

For high profile, high stakes RFPs, it is best to use a private courier or have someone hand deliver the proposal. Someone who knows this process very well told me that there are ways for competitors to track down other proposals if carried by a major carrier and cause mischief. Let's hope everything goes smoothly with this delivery.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:04 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
That is true about government stuff (worked on a bid for a project for two weeks and the bid opening was at Va Tech in Blacksburg and the guy delivering it after filling in the final numbers got to the room just in time to see them shutting the door down the hall), but Amazon can do what they want.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I am really curious as to what (if any) incentive package will be offered on the Triangle's behalf. Some cities simply arent giving one and calling Amazons bluff that surely they already know where they want to put HQ2.

I found this website interesting in which it outlines the incentives that each state pays out each year.
Explore Government Subsidies - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Interestingly enough, North Carolina pays out about $660million a year in incentive programs and New Jersey is just ahead of us at $678million. However we see New Jersey was willing to up its offer to $7billion!!!! to attract Amazon. Mind boggling. Would NC be willing to do something like that? I highly doubt it as we probably would have heard something about it by now. But i guess it wont be too surprising if they did offer big money even if its to a lesser degree.
If you read through that list of incentive grants for NC, its striking just how few have been done in the past 5 years...just 3 of the 100 largest. I'd say thats a pretty good indication of the philosophy of the current General Assembly regarding incentives, and I wouldn't hold my breath for an incentive package from NC thats truly competitive.

Also interesting that of the $660 million, $395 million is for sales tax exemptions for agriculture.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 AM

326 posts, read 384,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I'm thinking Pittsburgh. It's hip now, has a good cost of living, and has Carnegie Mellon robotics nearby. Amazon likes robots.
It'll be interesting to see if Pittsburgh gains any traction with this. They've been hip for about 2 minutes (after about 60 years of decline); I wonder if Amazon will put any stock into a city's new hipness. Another newly hip city is Richmond, VA--I can't see their bid making it very far either.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Pittsburgh gains any traction with this. They've been hip for about 2 minutes (after about 60 years of decline); I wonder if Amazon will put any stock into a city's new hipness. Another newly hip city is Richmond, VA--I can't see their bid making it very far either.
While Pittsburgh does have Carnegie Mellon, probably one of the best computer science/artificial intelligence schools in the US, and a relatively low COL, as compared to other places, that's about it, I guess you can throw in a light rail system that services the southern suburbs?

I'm not saying Amazon is not going to Pittsburgh, maybe they will, but there are some prognosticators that believe and would be shocked if Amazon picks a city/metro area that has less than 4 million people, even though they set their minimum at 1 million.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,006,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If you read through that list of incentive grants for NC, its striking just how few have been done in the past 5 years...just 3 of the 100 largest. I'd say thats a pretty good indication of the philosophy of the current General Assembly regarding incentives, and I wouldn't hold my breath for an incentive package from NC thats truly competitive.

Also interesting that of the $660 million, $395 million is for sales tax exemptions for agriculture.

On the other hand, we've run up a pretty good surplus the last few years. So we're in a position to make a solid offer if we really want it.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

No breath being held. I just found it interesting how out of nowhere NJ is throwing out huge incentives when what they normally do each year compares almost exactly to NC, numbers wise. So i guess theoritically its not out of the realms of possiblity but definitely still just about zero chance we see anything close to that being offered.

I too found that last bit telling with how much is designated for agriculture.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Looks like Moody's Analytics has 1. Austin 2. Atlanta 3. Philadelphia 4. Rochester, N.Y.

Forbes put Philadelphia at the top, The New York Times chose Denver and Geekwire picked Toronto.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
On the other hand, we've run up a pretty good surplus the last few years. So we're in a position to make a solid offer if we really want it.
Phil says we don't really want it.

Last edited by BC1960; 10-19-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary