Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Thanks. So this kind of furthers my point. NC is apparently an area where they can own cheap warehousing space and employ the lowest paid folks at the company.

Why have they not made a significant investment on the software side here yet????

I mean who here sincerely thinks they are going to make the commitment to jump from focusing on minimum wage employees in the state to relocating hundreds of executives making seven figures and tens of thousands earning low to high six figures to the area out of the blue? They've already had 20 years to do so but they chose other cities to make this investment so far.
So North Carolina only has low paying warehouse jobs and is not capable of high paying white collar jobs? Uhhh wut?? Lol. They aren’t “focusing” on only warehouse jobs here. They have warehouse jobs all over the country. What exactly are you on about? Amazon isn’t relocating. And if they did choose NC, they wouldn’t be asking people to come work at a warehouse in the middle of a farm. It would be a a modern development in one of our growing cosmopolitan metros. According to your hot take, a company that doesn’t have any software jobs in a state can never choose to put them there lol. Sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Segment I saw on the news tonight about the Amazon HQ2 competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vKzteTlCjo

Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Two things that kills Raleigh's or Charlotte's chances.

1) lack of mass transit. Traffic is pretty horrible in Charlotte and Raleigh particularly during rush hour. With out a commuter rail system, I just don't see how Amazon would consider North Carolina. Charlotte's light rail system is not extensive enough. Mass Transit is one of their requirments also.

2) Incentives. This kill our chances all together. There are metro/states that are just as attractive as Charlotte or Raleigh which are planning to offer $8 billion out if the gate. I doubt NC will get above a billion.

Austin, Tx has a better chance than Raleigh. Its a big tech area and its city population is larger than Charlotte's and its metro is well over 2 million. Austin also has mass transit. We assume Amazon is looking at an east coast city but there are a number of cities between the east coast and west coast that qualify.

I think the top 3 are Boston, suburban DC and Austin. Also North Carolina's metros are not "cosmopolitan" or big enough for the likes of Amazon despite the fact that both areas have over a million in their metros. Its either going to be a tier 1 city or a high tier 2 city.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-30-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

1) lack of mass transit. Traffic is pretty horrible in Charlotte and Raleigh particularly during rush hour. With out a commuter rail system, I just don't see how Amazon would consider North Carolina. Charlotte's light rail system is not extensive enough. Mass Transit is one of their requirments also.

2) Incentives. This kill our chances all together. There are metro/states that are just as attractive as Charlotte or Raleigh which are planning to offer $8 billion out if the gate. I doubt NC will get above a billion.

Austin, Tx has a better chance than Raleigh. Its a big tech area and its city population is larger than Charlotte's and its metro is well over 2 million. Austin also has mass transit. We assume Amazon is looking at an east coast city but there are a number of cities between the east coast and west coast that qualify.

I think the top 3 are Boston, suburban DC and Austin. Also North Carolina's metros are not "cosmopolitan" or big enough for the likes of Amazon despite the fact that both areas have over a million in their metros. Its either going to be a tier 1 city or a high tier 2 city.

Charlotte is bigger than Austin, Austin is neglibigly bigger than Raleigh-DURham. Raleigh is just as big in Tech as Austin is. Austin has zero mass transit. Charlotte is metropolitan. Austin is in the same tier as Charlotte & Raleigh. All of your points fail except for the inventive discussion but I’m not completely convinced it is all about incentives. It will be a factor between the choices that make the most sense and they’ll probably try to extract incentives from a city they find that fits their needs and wants best

Im sorry Greensboro doesn’t hold a fart in this contest. But Raleigh absolutely does for the reasons mentioned in the GSO section. Atlanta, NoVa/DC, Boston, Austin, Toronto, Dallas & Raleigh stick out as strong candidates.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Segment I saw on the news tonight about the Amazon HQ2 competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vKzteTlCjo
Very interesting video. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Austin has zero mass transit.
Austin's mass transit service is definitely way more advanced than Raleigh at this point - they have a commuter rail line, 2 bus rapid transit lines, and way more bus service.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedfil...System_Map.pdf

Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Austin's mass transit service is definitely way more advanced than Raleigh at this point - they have a commuter rail line, 2 bus rapid transit lines, and way more bus service.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedfil...System_Map.pdf
Yep I was going to say that. Also Austin's population is 947, 000. Charlotte's population is 842, 000. Austin's population is more than twice the size of Raleigh.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Quote:
Yep I was going to say that. Also Austin's population is 947, 000. Charlotte's population is 842, 000. Austin's population is more than twice the size of Raleigh.
Thats very true but we all know city limit population nunbers are basically worthless. Im not saying Raleigh is the size of Austin but i think the point was that there CSAs are pretty close.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte is bigger than Austin, Austin is neglibigly bigger than Raleigh-DURham. Raleigh is just as big in Tech as Austin is. Austin has zero mass transit. Charlotte is metropolitan. Austin is in the same tier as Charlotte & Raleigh. All of your points fail except for the inventive discussion but I’m not completely convinced it is all about incentives. It will be a factor between the choices that make the most sense and they’ll probably try to extract incentives from a city they find that fits their needs and wants best

Im sorry Greensboro doesn’t hold a fart in this contest. But Raleigh absolutely does for the reasons mentioned in the GSO section. Atlanta, NoVa/DC, Boston, Austin, Toronto, Dallas & Raleigh stick out as strong candidates.
Why bring this nonsense to the Triangle thread? Leave it in the Triad thread where it belongs.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:

I was thinking Boston or NYC but Austin definitely makes sense as well. One thing no one is talking about is a pre existing talent pool which Austin also has. All the FANG companies already have a big presence there including Amazon so they have the talent ready to poach. This is a big thing in Seattle where Facebook built a nice new building across the street from Amazon's campus for this purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary