Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Amazon makes more money as a cloud company than they do off retailing anyway. When you add what they are probably going to do on the software side with grocery stores which is most likely to sell other chains their back end technology and also whatever their plans are for making healthcare more affordable there is alot of growth ahead.
Yeah, I think Amazon is one of the tech companies that wants you to believe they only do one thing. Similar to Google (now Alphabet) when people thought of them as just that search engine company, and who knows maybe people out there today still believe that, and I bet Google is just fine with that.

Like you mentioned, Amazon Web Services (AWS), their Cloud Computing Services is Amazon's true "cash cow" and their online retail, is a mere fraction of what they make from the cloud and all those servers in those non-discrete buildings that are guarded like Fort Know, up in NOVA and elsewhere.

Amazon probably would love for you to think of them as just an online retail company, it gives them perfect cover for taking over the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, I think Amazon is one of the tech companies that wants you to believe they only do one thing. Similar to Google (now Alphabet) when people thought of them as just that search engine company, and who knows maybe people out there today still believe that, and I bet Google is just fine with that.

Like you mentioned, Amazon Web Services (AWS), their Cloud Computing Services is Amazon's true "cash cow" and their online retail, is a mere fraction of what they make from the cloud and all those servers in those non-discrete buildings that are guarded like Fort Know, up in NOVA and elsewhere.

Amazon probably would love for you to think of them as just an online retail company, it gives them perfect cover for taking over the world!
AMZN is not "taking over the world."
People who are careless stewards of independence are handing the world to them.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
AMZN is not "taking over the world."
People who are careless stewards of independence are handing the world to them.
That's a good point Mike, I stand corrected, I don't know if they are using hypnosis or Jedi mind tricks, but I have no problem calling them the "Evil Empire"!

I haven't bought a thing from Amazon or any of their subsidiaries, like Zappos, in over 7 or 8 years. But who knows, this forum/message board is probably on one of their servers!

Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's a good point Mike, I stand corrected, I don't know if they are using hypnosis or Jedi mind tricks, but I have no problem calling them the "Evil Empire"!

I haven't bought a thing from Amazon or any of their subsidiaries, like Zappos, in over 7 or 8 years. But who knows, this forum/message board is probably on one of their servers!
I only use Amazon for a few items not available elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:00 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I only use Amazon for a few items not available elsewhere.
I use Amazon to price-check Ebay, and to read reviews.

I buy there maybe once a year, and berate myself when I do that.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Amazon owns and controls servers (AWS); government reliant on AWS; Amazon owns/controls government.

Several prominent government agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency, are clients of AWS, which has an early lead in providing cloud services to the government and handling top-secret data.
https://www.economist.com/news/unite...e-amazon-build

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Amazon owns and controls servers (AWS); government reliant on AWS; Amazon owns/controls government.
Skynet is real, like in The Terminator!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
I use Amazon a lot but that's only after price comparing. I've found things cheaper elsewhere and not bought from Amazon. Amazone does have the best prices on some of the staples I buy. My workout supplements are priced pretty completely on there. Their add-on deals can be amazing! I've bought a Mitchell & Ness, Adidas, Nike NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. gear for a fraction of the price you can find elsewhere. They might have the large sweatshirt going for $75 and the medium size for $4.54 or less. It really is amazing what you kind find for pennies on that site sometimes.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

38 posts, read 37,686 times
poll options do not have an option for where hq2 is going lmao

Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiksupra View Post
poll options do not have an option for where hq2 is going lmao
Sure they do "somewhere else" is anywhere not listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary