Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:03 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronskrat View Post
So Amazon would sprinkle itself all over downtown Raleigh, from Dix to North Hills, connected by busing? I'm not sure I like my "sprinkle" metaphor .
The Capital Blvd and Atlantic Ave corridor is just full of old warehouses and is "prime" redevelopment space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I know it’s contrary to the article. But I think it’s RTP or nothing for Amazon. I then imagine the excuse for not choosing Raleigh would be lack of mass transit when maybe it would be a strain on workforce or something relevant. Nashville is such a small metro area. Smaller than RDU. I just don’t see that at all. The rankings that put Raleigh ahead are the ones about cost of living or the QOL (which is pretty much referring to the burbs. Nice school, house with a yard). If it starts coming down to urban areas & trains & planes. IMO, that doesn’t play to RDU’s strength... which is why I think it’s rtp or nada.

I read Raleigh is supposed to add 30,000 more tech positions over the next few years and the labor market is already struggling a little with talent. If you imagine over 10 years adding 100,000 tech jobs. In terms of percent of jobs that are tech, Raleigh is tied with Baltimore & Washington DC is above them both. (And DC is much larger metro region). Then I think other cities just have larger pools of talent just because of their size. Aka NYC, DC, ATL, etc. DC has so much pull from Baltimore, the metro area and easier to get people to relocate to, I imagine.

If Raleigh gets Apple. Combined with its projected growth, it’s pretty much the same as getting HQ2 anyway. I just think it’s gonna go to a bigger city. Plus it’ll be more diverse plus Apple is cooler and could grow bigger than projected. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Of course you don't want to see Amazon pick Raleigh, afterall they did snub Charlotte. Who are you kidding.

^ That’s stupid. I never cared about Amazon picking CLT.

It’s just perspective from an outsider who thought RTP had a very good chance. And what I said had substance. It’s not like anything I said wasn’t true....or was insulting or it’s totally out of left field.

Here’s what other outsiders think.
Quote:

D.C. region has been viewed as a front-runner for Amazon HQ2 since the January announcement of the 20-city shortlist, but oddsmakers and gamblers appear to be getting even more bullish on the area. The latest odds released Friday from online gambling site Bovada peg Northern Virginia as the front-runner and Washington, D.C., as the second most likely to land HQ2. A gambler betting $100 on Northern Virginia would win $240 if it is selected, and betting $100 on D.C. would yield $350. The cities with the next best odds after D.C. are Austin, Boston, Toronto and Atlanta, followed by Montgomery County.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...medium=Browser

I just think by saying Amazon would prefer downtown Raleigh over Potentially RTP lowers the odds significantly that Raleigh will be selected. And I bet if Raleigh doesn’t score it, lack of mass transit will be the scapegoat.

Outside of Raleigh, Raleigh’s not considered a front runner. There are those clock baits that literally One day Boston came out on top to the next day it was dead last. It depends on criteria used. If it’s all about who has the cheaper housing and “higher” quality of living. Austin, Nashville, Columbus and Raleigh score higher. If it comes down to urban amenities, DC, Boston, ATL come out on top.

The smaller tier cities just aren’t going to win when it comes to mass transit, talent pool/labor force, etc. RTP fit the higher QOL and lower cost of living, etc model

but I’m enjoying the Amazon race because I personally want it in DC. And Raleigh and ATL are the only other finalist cities that I care about so. Hence im on this thread if I see it pop up. I have zero care about Nashville or Boston or the others.

And my belief. If it comes down to lower cost, high quality of life, etc. it’s Raleigh’s and Austin’s to lose. If it comes down to labor force, mass transit and urban amenities, it’s DC, ATL and Boston’s to lose

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-31-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronskrat View Post
So Amazon would sprinkle itself all over downtown Raleigh, from Dix to North Hills, connected by busing? I'm not sure I like my "sprinkle" metaphor .
What is potentially neat, is the majority of that area already has a railway. Depending on the tracts, you could potentially add a light rail line connecting North Hills to Dix. Connecting all of the Amazon properties.

That would make a strong North-South line.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
What is potentially neat, is the majority of that area already has a railway. Depending on the tracts, you could potentially add a light rail line connecting North Hills to Dix. Connecting all of the Amazon properties.

That would make a strong North-South line.
There's the existing rail corridor up Atlantic Avenue that could be retrofitted. I think this was a part of the first light rail proposal in Raleigh.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Amazon isn't coming here. I want it to go to Atlanta so they can redevelop the Gulch. It's probably going to Northern Virginia - either near Dulles on the Silver Line if they want to be near a tech cluster, or Potomac Yards in Alexandria/Arlington if they want something more urban.

Now with Apple, we have a real shot - and even that could be the biggest win at RTP in decades, maybe since Cisco first landed there in 1995 and grew to be a 12-building campus with 5500 workers.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There's the existing rail corridor up Atlantic Avenue that could be retrofitted. I think this was a part of the first light rail proposal in Raleigh.
Get help from Kane and Duke Raleigh, and it could skirt right on the outside of the Beltline.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
If I lived in an insanely busy area like NoVa, Boston, etc, I'd be really disappointed if Amazon came.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
^ That’s stupid. I never cared about Amazon picking CLT.

It’s just perspective from an outsider who thought RTP had a very good chance. And what I said had substance. It’s not like anything I said wasn’t true....or was insulting or it’s totally out of left field.

Here’s what other outsiders think.

I just think by saying Amazon would prefer downtown Raleigh over Potentially RTP lowers the odds significantly that Raleigh will be selected. And I bet if Raleigh doesn’t score it, lack of mass transit will be the scapegoat.

Outside of Raleigh, Raleigh’s not considered a front runner. There are those clock baits that literally One day Boston came out on top to the next day it was dead last. It depends on criteria used. If it’s all about who has the cheaper housing and “higher” quality of living. Austin, Nashville, Columbus and Raleigh score higher. If it comes down to urban amenities, DC, Boston, ATL come out on top.

The smaller tier cities just aren’t going to win when it comes to mass transit, talent pool/labor force, etc. RTP fit the higher QOL and lower cost of living, etc model

but I’m enjoying the Amazon race because I personally want it in DC. And Raleigh and ATL are the only other finalist cities that I care about so. Hence im on this thread if I see it pop up. I have zero care about Nashville or Boston or the others.

And my belief. If it comes down to lower cost, high quality of life, etc. it’s Raleigh’s and Austin’s to lose. If it comes down to labor force, mass transit and urban amenities, it’s DC, ATL and Boston’s to lose

Sometimes, your statements are just not consistent. You claim to not care, but in other threads you're quick to jump in to point out Charlotte's strengths and Raleigh's weaknesses...in a subtle way. Your brain and your fingers when typing must not be in sync.

And why would anyone continue to think that RTP had a very good chance when Amazon clearly stated that they are looking for an "urban" environment, which is very consistent with their company's culture. Seems like your thought processes are flawed.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Sometimes, your statements are just not consistent. You claim to not care, but in other threads you're quick to jump in to point out Charlotte's strengths and Raleigh's weaknesses...in a subtle way. Your brain and your fingers when typing must not be in sync.

If you think I’m subtly putting Raleigh down, then just ignore it. I rather have real discussions then someone commenting on every post I make only questioning whether I’m subtly insulting Raleigh and addressing 0 content I posted. Which I posted a thoughtful post with substance.

No one wants to read a back and forth between 2 posters. PM me how you think I’m subtly pointing out Raleigh’s weaknesses, which I can’t promise I’ll reply. Other than that, there’s an ignore feature you can use if you can’t control your rage over your belief im making subtly comments about RDU’s weakness

Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/05...deal-imminent/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary