Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:01 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilian View Post
Now TBC got Chicago & the cost to City of Chicago is 0.

Let's see how this plays out in a couple of years.
I’m not fully read up on TBC but what’s the difference between what they are proposing vs public transit/subway systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Why are Charlotte boosters dissing Raleigh amenities in the Triangle forum?

From your comment I gather that you have visited Union Station in person, and you have been in several other Amtrak stations across the country within the last 5-10 years to have a real sense of what stations all over the country are like to make such a condescending remark.

People respond to new-ness of facilities probably explaining his reaction.

I don’t need to visit “Union Station” Raleigh to know it’s not anywhere remotely comparable to the Washington Union Station and that surely 99% of people would generally agree... which is incredible considering no one can agree on anything these days.

Union Station serves more passengers in 2 days than Raleigh’s Union Station will serve in a year. Has H&M, Victoria Secrets and plenty of other places to shop. The architecture simply can’t compare (yes. I’ve only seen the Raleigh Union Station in pics) to Union Station in Washington. Denver, Chicago. Plenty of others I would imagine a similar consensus.

It’s not “dissing” to think his remarks about the new train station in Raleigh is beyond hyperbole. I’m not even sure why it’s relevant to HQ2.

And for the record. :/ My post read a little more Washington boosterism than Charlotte boosterism if anything. Charlotte is irrelevant and isn’t in the running for HQ2. Washington, Atlanta, Raleigh and others are

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-07-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 09:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I don’t need to visit “Union Station” Raleigh to know it’s not anywhere remotely comparable to the Washington Union Station and that surely 99% of people would generally agree... which is incredible considering no one can agree on anything these days.

Union Station serves more passengers in 2 days than Raleigh’s Union Station will serve in a year. Has H&M, Victoria Secrets and plenty of other places to shop. The architecture simply can’t compare (yes. I’ve only seen the Raleigh Union Station in pics) to Union Station in Washington.

It’s not “dissing” to think his remarks about the new train station in Raleigh is beyond hyperbole. I’m not even sure why it’s relevant to HQ2.
Of course anyone is welcomed to post in any thread they'd like, but I think that it has become obvious that you and a few select others spend a significant amount of time in the Raleigh threads "throwing shade" at Raleigh and the Triangle whenever someone posts something positive or shows any level of enthusiasm about any good publicity that Raleigh has received.

I don't pretend to know what motivates anyone, but your pattern of posts in this and other Triangle threads suggests some level of insecurity.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Of course anyone is welcomed to post in any thread they'd like, but I think that it has become obvious that you and a few select others spend a significant amount of time in the Raleigh threads "throwing shade" at Raleigh and the Triangle whenever someone posts something positive or shows any level of enthusiasm about any good publicity that Raleigh has received.

I don't pretend to know what motivates anyone, but your pattern of posts in this and other Triangle threads suggests some level of insecurity.

I’m not going to respond to this after this post because it’ll turn into a back & forth between 2 posters and that’s annoying on a forum.

But you’re like that one GSO poster only the Raleigh version. He went on & on about why 561 was going to happen and had little quotes and links and all this faith that it was going to happen. It was very hyperbolic also. And I believe you’re pretty critical on the poster quite constantly. HQ2 is your project 561.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
To someone who obviously has never experienced much outside of Greensboro and thinks that it is the center of the universe, i'm sure there's a lot of special things about it.

Anyway, I do like to follow this thread because it’s pretty active and I would like Amazon to come to Washington and you guys post lots of articles I don’t come across. I can’t think of anything except 1 way Washington doesn’t eclipse Raleigh in the bid for HQ2. Its a lower cost city. People can buy a house with the picket fence for 300k.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I’m not going to respond to this after this post because it’ll turn into a back & forth between 2 posters and that’s annoying on a forum.

But you’re like that one GSO poster only the Raleigh version. He went on & on about why 561 was going to happen and had little quotes and links and all this faith that it was going to happen. It was very hyperbolic also. And I believe you’re pretty critical on the poster quite constantly. HQ2 is your project 561.

Anyway, I do like to follow this thread because it’s pretty active and I would like Amazon to come to Washington and you guys post lots of articles I don’t come across. I can’t think of anything except 1 way Washington doesn’t eclipse Raleigh in the bid for HQ2. Its a lower cost city. People can buy a house with the picket fence for 300k.
Seriously Charlotte485? Do you have split personalities?

You were the same way when you lived in Charlotte. You seem to attach your personal identity to the cities where you live.

That Raleigh vs. Charlotte thread is full of your BS posts, but i'm not so petty as to post a long diatribe just to prove a point.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 07-08-2018 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I guess you were so devastated when Charlotte didn't make Amazon's shortlist you decided to move to a city that did make the list so you could have something to brag about in Raleigh threads and feel good about yourself.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 07-08-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM

171 posts, read 143,256 times
Quote:

LOL. Why would you "want" them to come to DC so badly that you would troll a Triangle forum? I understand how the prospect of Amazon to DC could be seen as a boring choice. There probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference in the day to day life of a DC resident.

Amazon could be a transformative development for Raleigh as a whole, so the pros/cons make for a much more interesting discussion. Just telling the forum that someone has exaggerated opinions on the train station, or that their city is inferior in every measure exept one, isn't constructive.

I would also note that the statement "I can’t think of anything except 1 way Washington doesn’t eclipse Raleigh in the bid for HQ2." Is probably as much or more hyperbolic than someone saying that the Raleigh train station is the best they've seen.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
LOL. Why would you "want" them to come to DC so badly that you would troll a Triangle forum?
Exactly! He won't understand though how that makes no sense.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
LOL. Why would you "want" them to come to DC so badly that you would troll a Triangle forum? I understand how the prospect of Amazon to DC could be seen as a boring choice. There probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference in the day to day life of a DC resident.

Amazon could be a transformative development for Raleigh as a whole, so the pros/cons make for a much more interesting discussion. Just telling the forum that someone has exaggerated opinions on the train station, or that their city is inferior in every measure exept one, isn't constructive.

I would also note that the statement "I can’t think of anything except 1 way Washington doesn’t eclipse Raleigh in the bid for HQ2." Is probably as much or more hyperbolic than someone saying that the Raleigh train station is the best they've seen.

It’s not trolling. The topic of this thread isn’t just to say positive things about Raleigh’s chance to get HQ2 and anything else is off topic. Yes, it’s dumb to say Raleigh is the best train station. Maybe built in the last 10 years? Assuming we aren’t counting Denver.

1.) Tech workforce - Washington
2.) Education - Washington
3.) Transit system - Washington
4.) Culture - Washington
5.) Amenities - Washington
6.) median income - Washington (54k vs. 93k)
7.) Traffic - Raleigh
8.) Cost of living - Raleigh
9.) crime - Raleigh

Washington would be just as transforming were it in Anacostia. It would be a huge difference. Amazon in Raleigh would be a smaller Rosslyn or any number of suburb in Washington. Is a rosslyn really that transformative that you’d wanna go there and walk & live around amazon-burb vs. the real city of Raleigh? I’m not saying that’s not great, but it became far less interesting when the location was announced for Raleigh. It’s goimg to be a suburban campus now.

Getting amazon into Anacostia could help fuel it to become a very nice and desirable neighborhood over time. That’s way more exciting than if it were to go to NoVa, or any suburban location. But I’m not sure amazon is basing choices on issues like that.

I mainly used Washington because I’m most familiar with it & Atlanta over other contenders. Apple I could see a much stronger case for Raleigh.

And bonus pictures of Raleigh’s current Amtrak station today from the Carolinian at around 5pm from my fiancé heading back to clt from Washington
Attached Thumbnails
Raleigh's Bid for Amazon HQ2-6906622e-52eb-42e5-a7aa-964a1c33c663.jpeg   Raleigh's Bid for Amazon HQ2-1ccc8b33-536d-4eee-9344-5def4cce82e4.jpeg  

Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
It’s not trolling. The topic of this thread isn’t just to say positive things about Raleigh’s chance to get HQ2 and anything else is off topic. Yes, it’s dumb to say Raleigh is the best train station. Maybe built in the last 10 years? Assuming we aren’t counting Denver.

1.) Tech workforce - Washington
2.) Education - Washington
3.) Transit system - Washington
4.) Culture - Washington
5.) Amenities - Washington
6.) median income - Washington (54k vs. 93k)
7.) Traffic - Raleigh
8.) Cost of living - Raleigh
9.) crime - Raleigh

Washington would be just as transforming were it in Anacostia. It would be a huge difference. Amazon in Raleigh would be a smaller Rosslyn or any number of suburb in Washington. Is a rosslyn really that transformative that you’d wanna go there and walk & live around amazon-burb vs. the real city of Raleigh? I’m not saying that’s not great, but it became far less interesting when the location was announced for Raleigh. It’s goimg to be a suburban campus now.

Getting amazon into Anacostia could help fuel it to become a very nice and desirable neighborhood over time. That’s way more exciting than if it were to go to NoVa, or any suburban location. But I’m not sure amazon is basing choices on issues like that.

I mainly used Washington because I’m most familiar with it & Atlanta over other contenders. Apple I could see a much stronger case for Raleigh.

And bonus pictures of Raleigh’s current Amtrak station today from the Carolinian at around 5pm from my fiancé heading back to clt from Washington
I thought you weren’t going to reply after your last post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary