Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,429 times

Advertisements

I have been heading down to the Old Stage Road area to get plants for many years now. Here are my observations. Once you turn onto Old Stage Rd. from Rt 210 at the flashing light, there are three nurseries in close proximity. The first one you'll come to is Old Stage Road nursery on the right. The plants there tend to be slightly higher priced than Broadwell's but are labeled (!) and the man who collects the money is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about every plant that's sold.... so if you have any questions he's the one to ask. When I say "slightly higher priced" I still mean "really really inxpensive."

Across the road from Old Stage Rd. nursery is Tarheel nursery (with greenhouses alongside the street). While they don't have the shrub section, that's the place to go if you're looking for perrenials or flats of annuals. They also have really nice large pre-arranged containers that are nice for sunny decks, etc.

Directly to the right of Tarheel Nursery is Broadwell's. They have a tiny white sign out front. This is definitely the place to go if you know what you're looking for. it's a good idea to take a vehicle that's sort of rugged, as some of the paths you might have to drive on are majorly cracked concrete/unpaved to say the lease. A few hints about Broadwell's.... If you're looking for liriope this is DEFINITELY the place to go. It's something like $1.50 or $2 a pot, and is always in much better condition than what they have at Old Stage Rd. nursery. They also have tall ornamental grasses in a broken down greenhouse to the left of the barn, and you can special order trees taller than what they have potted already for sale on the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 63,517 times
Default Anybody been to Broadwells Nursery?

I am looking to get some large trees from them. Has anyone been there before and if so how were the prices and your experience there?. Also, I am looking for somebody to plant them. If anyone can recommend a landscaper or company that would be great.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
A while back I went to Broadwells. They are inexpensive compared to Nursery's around the Triangle. I want to say for a tree - I think a river birch tree was something in the neighborhood of around $10 - $15.00, same with many of them, just depends on the size... They have people when you pull in that can direct you to areas what you are looking for and carry wads of cash. I don't know if they accept anything but cash.. maybe check.. but don't know for sure. A lot of these plants I find were root bound, so you need to check. I found it to be mostly self serve.. unless you buy something really large and they will help you. It's been a few years so this may have changed. I always install my own plants, so can't help on the landscaping part.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 PM

112 posts, read 477,116 times
I have never been to Broadwells, but I really want to go check it out. I heard they were super cheap. Are all the trees/shrubs they sell really large? I was wondering if they had smaller size trees and shrubs that can fit in an SUV or do you really need a truck?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:54 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
A while back I went to Broadwells. They are inexpensive compared to Nursery's around the Triangle. I want to say for a tree - I think a river birch tree was something in the neighborhood of around $10 - $15.00, same with many of them, just depends on the size... They have people when you pull in that can direct you to areas what you are looking for and carry wads of cash. I don't know if they accept anything but cash.. maybe check.. but don't know for sure. A lot of these plants I find were root bound, so you need to check. I found it to be mostly self serve.. unless you buy something really large and they will help you. It's been a few years so this may have changed. I always install my own plants, so can't help on the landscaping part.
I don't like to pay in cash !!! How do we know they are properly reporting income, paying taxes, etc. .
It just encourages dishonesty when an establishment encourages cash.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I don't like to pay in cash !!! How do we know they are properly reporting income, paying taxes, etc. .
It just encourages dishonesty when an establishment encourages cash.

Sorry, I disagree. Credit cards cost a business money (a percentage of the sale). To keep costs low some places don't take them. I don't see it as they want to cheat with taxes. Broadwells takes checks, at least they did the last time I was there.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Credit cards cost a business money (a percentage of the sale). To keep costs low some places don't take them. I don't see it as they want to cheat with taxes. Broadwells takes checks, at least they did the last time I was there.
Sorry, but I do see it as a way to skim and not report income. Cash doesn't have a paper trail. Even if you get a "receipt" it can easily "disappear." Folks, I'm not accusing these tree people of cheating, I'm just asking y'all to think about what I'm saying.

I can understand not taking credit/debit cards - it does cost a percentage/sale - but then.. it is a cost of doing business. However, when I read about people carrying around wads of money (one of the PP).. again.. I just have to wonder, .

Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,138 times
Default The nursery on Old Stage road in Angier

Ok I have been asking about this place for a while and we finally went and got our trees. We went to Broadwells and did fine. We got our trees and there had to be several English speaking people there so it was a breeze. We were in and out in a flash.

We paid $20 each for Cleveland Pear trees. They are about 10 ft tall.

I wasn't feeling upset about anything with regards to them cheating the system. I highly doubt they can run an establishment THIS popular and not pay taxes. They aren't charging us any tax either. Unless someone has accounting degrees in this specific area, I would have to say we shouldn't assume or point fingers that they are doing anything wrong. Plus, if they are a farm, which they must be, I do believe there are different accounting rules that apply.

But anyway, I can't believe how cheap it was. We are so happy! Thanks to all that helped with this.

Linda

Last edited by NCMommy2-4; 04-13-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Ok I have been asking about this place for a while and we finally went and got our trees. We went to Broadwells and did fine. We got our trees and there had to be several English speaking people there so it was a breeze. We were in and out in a flash.

We paid $20 each for Cleveland Pear trees. They are about 10 ft tall.

I wasn't feeling upset about anything with regards to them cheating the system. I highly doubt they can run an establishment THIS popular and not pay taxes. They aren't charging us any tax either. Unless someone has accounting degrees in this specific area, I would have to say we shouldn't assume or point fingers that they are doing anything wrong. Plus, if they are a farm, which they must be, I do believe there are different accounting rules that apply.

But anyway, I can't believe how cheap it was. We are so happy! Thanks to all that helped with this.

Linda

Glad you did well.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 29,261 times
There's one thing you should remember when going to a place like Broadwell's (and I'm not knocking them, because quite simply, I get large trees and plants from them when I've got a customer on a tight budget) -

The plant you get is the way it was when it was put in the pot or started in the ground. They never go through and check stock to make sure plants are doing as they should, therefore you never know if you've got a plant that has insects or disease. This is why they are able to keep cost down, and because they have less overhead (no one there with a college degree) - not saying that makes a difference in knowledge, but it does in pay!

The price is unbeatable, but if you're really wanting to look at plants and get ideas and help from the "office" try Adcock's. They have a nice display area that can really help you with making decisions. I however typically order from McLamb's (sell to contractors or other nursery's only) - out of an 800 plant job we only lost 10 plants with no irrigation system, installed in last years heat (august-sept) - I don't know if that's quality plants or quality workmanship - I like to think a little of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary