Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM

29 posts, read 32,851 times

Advertisements

Well, im new to this board. My name is Melissa and im a mommy and a mommy to be again Im finding a hard time to find a place to rent. Alot of the owners i talk to are having an issue renting to a young mom like myself. I'll be 19 on March 24 and i really want to get out of my bfs mothers house! I don't want to go to far..i'm right now in Raleigh and Durham isnt that far. We want atleast a 4 bedroom home, townhouse or if there is such a thing an oversized apartment haha We are able to afford with the help of my bfs parents up to 500,000...without there help were looking at between 250-300,000) i would love to be able to afford between the range of 250-300,000, less if possible. I just don't want this money to be held over my head (if you know what i mean) so back to the main subject, we want a nice neighbordhood filled with kids, so my little girl has some kids to play with A nice park..good school district!..i want stuff near by not out in the rural area! We also want to rent for about 3 maybe 4 years if possible the only issue is for the owner willing to rent to a young mom. Thanks for any feedback i get!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,078,979 times
$500K is a LOT of money to pay for rent...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM

oh not to pay for rent..to maybe buy a home..those are what those numbers are for

Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,078,979 times
But your subject header indicates you want to find a place to rent. So the question is: what is your budget?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 PM

261 posts, read 1,215,273 times
Default Fair Housing.....

Hi Melissa. Congratulations on your new addition.

Federal and State Fair Housing Laws strictly prohibit disciminating on the basis of family status. STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!! There is no gray area to these laws. Rental properties managed by professional management companies, Realtors, OR private individuals are all governed by these laws. The penalties are very stiff for not upholding the protected classes covered by Fair Housing.

Therefore, if someone says to you that they will not rent to you because you are a mom, or a dad (old or young), you should immediately inform that person of the Fair Housing Laws and report that violation. A person can not be denied a rental because they have children (exception would be an adult community with a minimum age limit, like a neighborhood for folks 55 and over)

If the problem actually is a lack of credit history, lack of verifiable income to pay the rent, etc., that is a perfectly acceptable reason to turn down your application.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM

thanks for the info! HappyNCgirl..its not my credit..the lady just wont rent to me because of my age. My thought is that she doesnt think im capable to withstand the rent..im really not sure. Were going back over this weekend to talk to her so hopefully everything works out!!

sorry for the misread on the thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 PM

551 posts, read 2,285,241 times
I'd advise you to keep looking, even if things 'work out' with this opportunity. If the landlord is difficult to work with now, or makes things difficult for you, imagine how it will be when you're trying to get something fixed, etc! There have been a couple of threads on here about finding rental houses, you can find them by searching and locate several more options in any case.

I used Henry Properties Moderator cut: url removed to rent a house in Cary several years ago and found them to be fair, dependable, and friendly. Couldn't ask for much more!

Good Luck!

Last edited by autumngal; 03-17-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.