Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times

Advertisements

I'm a Frontier customer and we've been having problems with intermittent outages for the past couple of weeks. After multiple phone calls, I requested that they provide me a new router since that seemed to be the only reasonable next step. So that's on it's way and should be here in 2 days. So in the meantime, my children are in need of consistent connections as they are in a virtual school program. Their live lessons and assignments have been greatly disrupted.

I was wondering if there are some alternatives for backup service we could use for now and possibly future outages that will likely happen.

I have considered the library or cafes, but that isn't really a good option as the library doesn't open early enough and I also have other regular errands to run that would interfere with transportation.

I was wondering if there is some kind of service with a device that offers a prepaid type of service so I can pay for service as needed. I'm really not in the know when it comes these newer techy service options and trust that a lot of you know about these types of things. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:02 PM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
Most cellphone providers have hotspot data through their phones or dedicated devices. There will probably be data limits depending on plan but should be enough for homework.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
We have the new Verizon unlimited plan and use the personal hotspot option as a backup solution.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
I was having problems with Frontier back in June. I switched to U-Verse.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I was having problems with Frontier back in June. I switched to U-Verse.
That's good to keep in mind. I need to keep my options open. I'm not sure if they serve my area though.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Wasn't there talk earlier this year about a library in Orange County that has a mobile hot spot to check out to patrons? In Hillsborough maybe? That might work if you have issues with you service from time to time.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Wasn't there talk earlier this year about a library in Orange County that has a mobile hot spot to check out to patrons? In Hillsborough maybe? That might work if you have issues with you service from time to time.
I think I've told too many people about the WiFi to Go available from Orange County Public Library! There is always a long waiting list now, even though they have 100+ units. When you put it on hold, you need to wait about a month before you get it. We find it best to check it out for when we go on vacation for the kids to use in the car. You can pick it up in Carrboro (McDougle or the Century Center); no need to go to Hillsborough, luckily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary