Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheJoy View Post
I am moving too and I am officially freaked out now... but then I went through this very same fear before moving to Texas because I dreaded I would have alligators literally hanging out in my backyard - thankfully I never met one in 4 years. I am from Rome and I am seriously scared of spiders and snakes. This thread was not good for me! LOL
Dont be freaked out. This is just drama for the sake of drama on the internet. In this very thread you have someone who visits a town telling someone who has lived in that general area (presumably) for 15 years what to look out for. That right there is a microcosm of what this is - a bunch of people sharing (and in most cases exaggerating for theatre) their random run ins with a snake.

I saw big hairy spiders in DC, oh NOES cant live in DC there are spiders everywhere! I saw a rat in Kansas - OH NOES rats are everywhere they will get in your trash and into your house and into your bed and eat your children in Kansas stay away, far away!!! Take these stories with a grain of salt and listen to the people who are telling the truth/not exaggerating/maintaining a level head. Are there snakes here? Yes. Are there snakes most places? Yes. Are there more here? Maybe? Is it noticeable? No. If you see a snake, once every 5 years, you stay away from it poisonous or not. If you see a coyote somewhere, you stay away from it. Its like anywhere else. Freak out if you want, but its unnecessary, I suggest you ignore the drama, and enjoy your move. Exactly like your alligator experience - you dreaded it for no reason, based on what? Same deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM

4,256 posts, read 4,684,752 times
Good grief. I've lived in Raleigh for 30 years and have never once seen a snake on my property, not even a harmless one. In comparison my grandparents had a dairy farm in central Alabama, and when I worked on that farm as a teenager, we would not go anywhere without a shotgun to kill rattlesnakes.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,989,413 times
Two people told me yesterday that a person can only get anti-venom once in their lifetime. I asked them what happens if they get bit by a Copperhead (or other venomous snake) more than once, and they said "they're pretty much out of luck".

Is that true???

Old 11-11-2017, 04:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Two people told me yesterday that a person can only get anti-venom once in their lifetime. I asked them what happens if they get bit by a Copperhead (or other venomous snake) more than once, and they said "they're pretty much out of luck".

Is that true???
Not sure about that, but the good news is that a Copperhead bite is unlikely to kill you anyway. You might just wish you were dead

Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 PM

71 posts, read 71,370 times
Thanks for this thread! I've seriously been freaked out after reading about the snake posts. I grew up in Texas and only saw a snake 3 times in my 22 years living there. Never saw them in the neighborhood, but only on hiking trails or tall grass area. So it wasn't something I was afraid of.

Now I live in Seattle and while beautiful, I hate the weather and really need to find a new place. The only nuisance to deal with in the neighborhood is deer, bunnies, mice, slugs, spiders, and seldomly coyotes, black bears and bobcats. But you rarely see bears and bobcats. Coyotes are after the pets, not people. I just went to my garage to get something and never worry about anything in there except mice. If I was in NC, would I be afraid of a snake hiding behind my luggage that I have to look out for? Threads make it sound like they're in your back yard, on the driveway, etc.

Also, we love hiking, going to the lake and mountains. If we did that in NC, would we see snakes every time? Are there certain areas you wouldn't see them? Sorry, I'm just deathly afraid of them.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:22 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,476,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanaggie View Post
Thanks for this thread! I've seriously been freaked out after reading about the snake posts. I grew up in Texas and only saw a snake 3 times in my 22 years living there. Never saw them in the neighborhood, but only on hiking trails or tall grass area. So it wasn't something I was afraid of.

Now I live in Seattle and while beautiful, I hate the weather and really need to find a new place. The only nuisance to deal with in the neighborhood is deer, bunnies, mice, slugs, spiders, and seldomly coyotes, black bears and bobcats. But you rarely see bears and bobcats. Coyotes are after the pets, not people. I just went to my garage to get something and never worry about anything in there except mice. If I was in NC, would I be afraid of a snake hiding behind my luggage that I have to look out for? Threads make it sound like they're in your back yard, on the driveway, etc.

Also, we love hiking, going to the lake and mountains. If we did that in NC, would we see snakes every time? Are there certain areas you wouldn't see them? Sorry, I'm just deathly afraid of them.
If it bothers you that much, there are many better places to live.

Why waste your time on NC.

We only saw one snake here in 28 years and it was a tiny one.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:53 AM

333 posts, read 286,274 times
I've been here three years, walk the dog every day including on trails, and have seen one dead snake.

Neighbors have seen snakes including copperheads. You do need to look where you are going, but that's a good idea anyway.

Now, in the garage, I once had an enormous bullfrog in there...

PS the weather here is great.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I see several snakes every year, but I am alert to my surroundings. Other people who don't watch where they're going and don't get out near wooded areas probably miss them. They're out there, though. But they were in Texas, too. And probably are in Washington.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
Here's a snake tale from last year...and true I have family still living out on Sunnybrook Rd. My cousin lives in small frame house set back off the road in a wooded section. Last September he was having a large section of Masonite siding and some sheathing replaced near the ground due to rot and moisture damage. When the crew started pulling away a section of sheathing Copperheads started falling down from inside the wall. They were able to kill a few, but most were able to slither away. My cousin said he displaced over a dozen Copperheads last summer, and had to kill only a few if they posed a threat to one of his dogs.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM

121 posts, read 107,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Anybody here been bitten by a Copperhead?
My dog almost was but I caught it in time. I used to see a ton of copperheads on the Duke trail and we killed the one in our yard that went after our dog (well our dog went after it).

But... our house was in a very wooded neighborhood. Never an issue besides that one time.

There was a small garden snake in our gardenia bush that my son named "snakey" and would pick up and play with everyday He was cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary