Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 AM

87 posts, read 361,045 times

Advertisements

I am researching towns to move to in NC....I originally from NY (Cold Spring Harbor LI/and NYC) and have lived in MA (Boston and Cape Cod) as of last five years. Need a village/town or downtown that is nice to go to...would like a little land. I have a horse and do not want to be in a built up pure residential developed area but can't be in the boonies. I am married and have two young children so family friendly important. I know- I want everything!

I see good nice write ups on Hillsborough, seems quaint but happening, good schools and character, not in the boonies, horse friendly and just close enough to everything in the triangle area.

My Question: If you moved to this town from NY or MA what are your thoughts and opinions of this area and what towns in NY or MA would you relate it to?

Thanks-I'm counting on you!

Dorri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Hillsborough is fairly tiny: just one main street and the rest is residential. I'd compare it to Seneca Falls in size. I know that's upstate, but I don't know much about LI. There's sort of a commercial area near the highway (Hardees etc.) and then there's a quaint little historic downtown a little further along. A lot of people there are into fishing (right on the river) and its generally a more rural are than Durham or Raleigh. You can find a nice place with some land outside of the town. The benefits are that it's close to the highway, so you can get to your job in RTP in a reasonable time.
See also: Pittsboro. A lot of people who are into land and horses are also into Chatham county.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
I moved to Hillsborough from MA, spent over 30 years in MA and know the state pretty well but I can't really think of a representative town I would compare it to...

It DOES have a New England flavor to it due to the large number of historic revolutionary war era homes though....this is a town with history and character.

Very small town, artsy vibe, less than 7000 people but as the county seat you do have amenities of a larger town including a very nice downtown.

Close to Durham and Chapel Hill, I can be in either in 20 mins or less...

Lots of horse properties in town, my daughter takes horseback riding lessons right around the corner from our house.

Definitely worth checking out in person I would think for your needs.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
How do you like the schools, Bluedevilz?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,971 times
I moved to hillsborough from rochester ny, i think that this area has way too many trailers and the educatioin is poor, but were moving to sc or holly springs soon so its all good, oh and how doyou post a question on here,? anoy one?, thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecityxox View Post
I moved to hillsborough from rochester ny, i think that this area has way too many trailers and the educatioin is poor, but were moving to sc or holly springs soon so its all good, oh and how doyou post a question on here,? anoy one?, thanks

Classic......

No further comment needed.....

Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
How do you like the schools, Bluedevilz?
Hadn't noticed your question before this thread got bumped back up....

To answer, we like the schools very much. Pleasantly surprised with the quality of teaching and dedication to the students. My oldest will be starting at Stanford Middle School next year and we have heard nothing but good things about that school as well from friends and neighbors.

I think from reading your posts that your children are older but the elementary school my kids go to now is Cameron Park and it is truly a very special school on so many levels.

The two high schools in town are at polar ends and vary significantly in age with Cedar Ridge being brand new and Orange High older than the school I went to 25 years ago (yikes!)

That being said there are good programs at both, Cedar Ridge has an IB program, the only one in Orange County (including Chapel Hill) and even if your kids are zoned into Orange High if your child is interested in the IB program and is accepted in, they can attend from outside the Cedar Ridge zone. Orange, despite its age, does offer challenging academic programs and sends quite a few of its top students to the college of their choice.

We are very comfortable with the Orange school system.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,971 times
ohkay,, well ya know what, lthe schools are ohkay, but it gets boring after a while living around here..:[..and whats your point pluedevilz

Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I'm thinking it was more towards the fact you misspelled education as you were complaining about its inadequacy in said town

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Hadn't noticed your question before this thread got bumped back up....

To answer, we like the schools very much. Pleasantly surprised with the quality of teaching and dedication to the students. My oldest will be starting at Stanford Middle School next year and we have heard nothing but good things about that school as well from friends and neighbors.

I think from reading your posts that your children are older but the elementary school my kids go to now is Cameron Park and it is truly a very special school on so many levels.

The two high schools in town are at polar ends and vary significantly in age with Cedar Ridge being brand new and Orange High older than the school I went to 25 years ago (yikes!)

That being said there are good programs at both, Cedar Ridge has an IB program, the only one in Orange County (including Chapel Hill) and even if your kids are zoned into Orange High if your child is interested in the IB program and is accepted in, they can attend from outside the Cedar Ridge zone. Orange, despite its age, does offer challenging academic programs and sends quite a few of its top students to the college of their choice.

We are very comfortable with the Orange school system.
Thanks for the info. If/when we move, it would either be for the beginning of the 2008-09 year with a 9th and 3rd grader and me staying behind with our HS senior, or the year after that, with a 10th and 4th grader. I've liked Hillsborough from afar. I didn't get the chance to visit in person last year when I was in town and my husband didn't get the chance eitiher when he was there a few weeks ago. However, he and my oldest son are flying down next week for a fairly quick trip: he has an interview on Thursday and my son is touring NC State and they'll probably do the self tour thing at UNC, etc. I would like my husband to drive to Hillsborough and take a look around. The job I interviewed for last year was in Durham. The job for which he interviewed a few weeks ago was in North Raleigh (so Chapel Hill and beyond were looking grim). But next week he'll be interviewing in Durham.

I've grown to like many of the neighborhoods in Durham but (once again from afar) favor the Orange County school district over DPS. Of course you already know that the Chapel Hill area is my favorite but housing costs are an issue.

Just from talking to the school guidance counselors and doing internet research, I'd have to say we would lean towards CRHS over Orange, if it came down to the two. The only other concern I would have would be with a mid-year transfer as CRHS runs on the 4x4 block program and our HS here in MA has the standard 7 period day program (like the Chapel Hill schools). So the mid-year switch can be tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary