Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachr+3 View Post
So, what is the "difference" in the pay and benefits that is referred to here....??? And are certain districts better/worse than others...???
Salaries and benefits for teachers are established by the State in North Carolina and not the local districts, so district to district differences are nearly non-existant (a very small variance is allowed for local living costs).

School districts in NC receive all funding from the Counties and do not have their own separate tax collection millages.

Per pupil spending is set by the State and not local Districts, so there is much greater equity in quality of education available to all students state-wide.

The three items above are complete opposite to school funding/spending in MI.

The answers to your questions can be found by viewing the three publications available on-line that I referenced earlier, and also by visiting the web sites of local school districts. Search for Wake County Schools and Johnston County Schools on the web, then browse their "Employment" tabs as additional sources.

As far as health insurance costs in NC, hold onto your socks! The cost to add a spouse or children to your State Employee Health Policy can be $600+ per month depending on the policy you choose. Benefits are provided for employees only - for basic coverage only - family members, or upgrade to a moderate to premium plan, require employee contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
I got my present job in Johnston County(Calyton area) as a result of the job fair last June. I got offers from 3 different schools a few weeks after the job fair. So I would HIGHLY recommend attending. I am a first year teacher from NJ that relocated here last summer, and I know MANY other teachers from NY, NJ, OH and MI that got jobs as result of the job fair. If you have experience I think you have even a better chance. I did also receive good feedback prior to the job offer by just emailing principals introducing myelf etc., who I later met at the job fair in person.....so it did help having some contact prior to coming to the job fair. It also helps A LOT to contact the Human Resources person prior to going to the job fair. The Human Resources person in Johnston County was a HUGE HELP.

I have heard that it is much tougher to get into Wake County because the pay is higher and that Wake County includes dental(Johnston does not). But I wanted a job right away, and also preferred Johnston over Wake(not thrilled with year round schools...and a house in Johnston County was much cheaper). I was fully aware of the pay difference from NJ before I came(about an $8,000 per year difference in salary), so that part didnt shock me. In NJ I tried for 2 years to get a full-time teaching position with no luck.....so I was willing to take the pay cut to get a job here...plus we REALLY wanted to move out of NJ to NC....so it was worth the trade-off for my family.

What others have said about health insurance is true...to add any family members its about $600 per month. We found policies through Blue/Cross of NC for my husband and daughter for about $275 per month.(In NJ we were paying over a $1000...dh was self employed and I only worked part-time), so $275 per month is nothing for us. ANd as I said, no dental coverage in Johnston County....its about $65.00 per month to add dental for yourself.

GOOD LUCK with your decision. BTW---we have teachers here at my school in Johnston County who live in Cary and they say the commute is not awful. About 30 minutes.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM

46 posts, read 88,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
I got my present job in Johnston County(Clayton area) as a result of the job fair last June. I got offers from 3 different schools a few weeks ...
Great information! Thank you. I have applied for Johnston County through the state website (https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/). Do they have a job fair in June every year? I would definitely consider a position there.

From what I am reading, it looks like I have to be a little more forward in my search. I have made a few calls, but have been hesitant. I figure most administrators are very busy and might consider the call as an annoyance. I will amend my thinking in the future.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
Its June 23rd(I think) this year...and there is also one coming up soon in April, which is probably too soon for you to make plans.

We love it out here in Johnston County....its is VERY rural though, so if you are into "suburbia" this is not the place for you. Cary and Apex are moreso the yuppie/suburban areas(i.e. soccer mom-ish) that many northeaster people prefer.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Its June 23rd(I think) this year...and there is also one coming up soon in April, which is probably too soon for you to make plans.

We love it out here in Johnston County....its is VERY rural though, so if you are into "suburbia" this is not the place for you. Cary and Apex are moreso the yuppie/suburban areas(i.e. soccer mom-ish) that many northeaster people prefer.
Is the one in April for Johnston Co.? I will be there for the one in Wake Co. on April 19th. I've made my arrangements, now just need to get together my strategy.

I am torn between rural and suburbia right now. We have been living in very rural areas for the past 7 years. It is great when you are home and relaxing or outside enjoying some fresh air; however, I hate to think of the number of hours I have lost to commuting. My hubby and I are ready for some conveniences close to home. For 5 of those years, we had to drive 35-40 minutes to the grocery store... now just 20 minutes, much better.

Thanks again for the information...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM

20 posts, read 87,859 times
OK, so everyone is saying to get there early. I must say the same thing. I did get my job due to my attendance at the job fair, but realize that it is a ZOO in there. Do your research, and attend with a list of the schools you are interested in. The lines are so long, that you will not be able to go by most (maybe not even half) of the tables. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaFan View Post
OK, so everyone is saying to get there early. I must say the same thing. I did get my job due to my attendance at the job fair, but realize that it is a ZOO in there. Do your research, and attend with a list of the schools you are interested in. The lines are so long, that you will not be able to go by most (maybe not even half) of the tables. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. The fair starts at 7:00 AM. How long before the start time did you arrive?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM

166 posts, read 381,110 times
Default Thales is looking for teachers

There is a new private school opening in Apex called Thales Academy. I know they are looking for teachers now, both full time and part time. I think they have a website if you're interested.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
There is a new private school opening in Apex called Thales Academy. I know they are looking for teachers now, both full time and part time. I think they have a website if you're interested.
I will check into that. Thank you SarahMom!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:24 AM

32 posts, read 117,688 times
Default April Teacher job fair

I am flying up from South Florida for the fair. Everyone says get there early. It starts at 7:00 with the doors opening. How early should we be there by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary