Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,836 times

Advertisements

I'm a burnt-out young professional looking to quit everything and move from a life in NYC/LA (don't write me off yet...) and find a place with my girlfriend in downtown Durham. She's going to Duke next year for grad school, and I have realized that my passion is in writing and other creative pursuits - an opportune time to move for both of us.

I have a few concerns though:

1. What are the best sub-$1000 apartments for rent downtown? I'm talking to West Village and tried Golden Belt so far. Any other suggestions? I like this slightly more urban style of living, but I also don't think our budget is much higher than this. Dont worry, I'm not looking for "the NYC experience," but rather, a nice, urban apartment in Durham.

2. Where does the "creative" community of Durham exist right now? I've searched on this site and others and need some direction. As stated above, I'm a writer who's not making much money from that yet, but I want to surround myself with creative people. I know this exists in Durham, but I have yet to find any direction online except for statistics that tout how creative Durham actually is.

3. We're moving there in July, so does that mean we should get an apartment ASAP (like many other cities with universities so close) or can we afford to wait a little?

I have extremely high hopes of Durham - I just want to know the best place to land once I get there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
You've probably already done this but you'll want to check out our version of the New York Press, the Independent Weekly:

Independent Weekly

You'll find the creative community in Durham and heading through Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and west to Carrboro. And a pocket in inside-the-beltline Raleigh (but stick with moving to Durham if you're coming from NYC).

Check out the center for documentary studies at Duke - writing groups listed in Indyweek (there's one in Chapel Hill, haven't been yet though) - the Arts Center (either Chapel Hill or Carrboro) for all sorts of stuff.

The ArtsCenter - Always Inspiring

The area around 9th St. in Durham is very artsy. You can also find some info through the meetup groups on meetup.com.

I think you're making a great choice! If you're a Richard Florida, Rise of the Creative Class sort of person, you are coming to the right place. Everything seems a little spread out, which is probably why you're having trouble pinpointing all that goes on. I think Indyweek does a good job of covering it.

Oh, re. apartments - I don't know, I made the mistake of renting in a really suburban area (it was a mistake for me, I'm not trying to bash). If I were to do it again I'd try and rent a house or apartment in or around 9th street/Old West Durham/Old North Durham, and then buy one.

There are tons of apartments around, I think you could wait.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
Grr--my post got lost...
Anyway, the apartments at American Tobacco are finished and are starting to be leased.
American Tobacco Living This is mixed use redevelopment, downtown, adjacent to the Durham Bulls ballpark. There are 4 restaurants, a Starbucks, WUNC's studio, and several offices here. More restaurants are leasing space. The apartments look nice; I have no idea what the cost might be.

Also, close to Brightleaf and West Village are Bullington Warehouse condos, at 500 N Duke St. THese sometimes get rented out by owners--try googling the address, or check craigslist.

Good luck! Durham sounds like it will suit you...

Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 8,836 times
Nice - Thanks for the responses (and email). And let me know if anyone else has any suggestions about finding a more creative life in Durham....

Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
It sounds like you're on the right track. I looked into the West Village apartments in Durham and from what I could tell, they would fit your bill quite well. They might exceed your price range, though. My wife and daughter and I almost took a 2-bedroom (quite large, admittedly) for about $1200, but we decided that we really did needed a 3-bedroom, especially for that kind of money. If you and your girlfriend could manage with a 1-bedroom, it might be in your price range. At any rate, the apartments are very cool. Lots of diverse people, lots of music on the grounds (at least the evening when I toured in late November).

We actually ended up in Carrboro, and I have to say that this area also probably has what you're looking for. Take your laptop to Weaver Street or Open Eye cafe, and you'll find many people with similar ambitions, as well as quite a few students and aging hippies.

One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of where you end up here, the pace of life and energy is going to be much, much lower than NY or LA. I recently relocated to the area after living in Moscow for nearly four years. I came partly for the same reasons you are, I suppose, as well as partly for some opportunities my wife had in the area. At any rate, the slower pace of life has definitely taken some getting used to. You may find plenty of inspiration here, but the energy to create is going to have to come from you. I suppose one could make the same comment about anywhere, though. Be prepared to be underwhelmed on the energy front....

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 149,139 times
There are plenty of places in Durham for creative types. Most aren't in downtown but surrounding it. Like the Burch Ave. neighborhood, Old West Durham, Walltown, Duke Park, Old North Durham and the like. These neighborhoods are just cool and laidback. They tend to foster youse creative classas.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 AM

32 posts, read 94,831 times
I hope you move. So many people are stuck. Go for it life is very short. I am moving also and I think this area is a great choice. Trust the creative part of you and go for it!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary