Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The type of trees in clayton will be different from those in N. Raleigh. More pines, sweet gum, maple in clayton. More oaks/hickory/shortleaf pine in N. Raleigh and Wake Forest. GOod luck. Did you want a new house? There are older neighborhoods, where the houses may be cookie cutter but there are mature trees in the lots. Such as Village on the Green off of Lynn Rd.
That's funny since I live in North Raleigh (NW Raleigh) and my whole yard is full of Pines, two HUGE sweet gums (grrr), and maples. The sweet gum spores fall all year round and are a HUGE pain in the arse to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:28 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I saw some houses of pictures in Remington Woods. That is kind of what I like. I'd need to see it in person. Does anyone know about that subdivision? Does it have a HOA?
JQ: Maybe that's why I like the look in Clayton. Wonder why the trees are so different??
Well Wake county is on the border of the coastal plain and the piedmont. Johnston county isn't as hilly so that could be a reason, plus much of Raleigh used to be surrounded by older succession forest while places downeast used to be more farmland and less forest. Depending on where you live, your area could have been clearcut more recently where pines/sweet gum/maple and other early succession species grow. If its been around longer...like areas near Umstead then there are more late succession species like Oak/Hickories/Beech etc. I prefer those rather that early succession trees or the coastal plain landscape.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Still searching........any other suggestions????

Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The type of trees in clayton will be different from those in N. Raleigh. More pines, sweet gum, maple in clayton. More oaks/hickory/shortleaf pine in N. Raleigh and Wake Forest. GOod luck. Did you want a new house? There are older neighborhoods, where the houses may be cookie cutter but there are mature trees in the lots. Such as Village on the Green off of Lynn Rd.
All I have in my yard are pines and sweat gums and I live in Northwest Raleigh. I HATE sweat gums!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 32,638 times
I currently live in Neuse Crossing but I am moving soon and recently sold mine for around 160,000. Many of the houses have nice wooded lots. You just have to find a house at the right time to get one in your price range. I don't know what size you are looking for but for comparison mine was 1/4 acre lot with fence and many trees in the back. It's 1400 square feet. There are many houses in the neighborhood, but not many this small so I don't know what others are listed for. I would have stayed here but needed more room for a growing family. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM

What high school is that? Is there a HOA? Pool? Do you have any pics?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Remington Woods has a very bad area right across the street from the subdivision which is not unusual for Wake Forest, so you've got to be careful in that town. There are low quality apartments across the street that don't look too great. In fact they look awful. And from what I've heard there's lots of crime in that area which cascades over into Remington Woods.

Your best bet is to get in touch with a realtor, imo. Mine wouldn't even show me homes in Remington Woods and pointed out the area across the street without saying anything. All it took was a look on my part. Like you said, you've got to see for yourself. You can look online for hours but until you know the neighborhoods, it's not useful.
happy searching,
toodie
Exactly where is Remington Woods? I thought it was down 401 near the new Wake Tech - Raleigh address...

Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Mine Valley maybe an option. It's woodsy in certain parts of it that I can see on Google maps. Doesa nayone know about this subdivision. I knw the houses are older and kind of small. I like the idea that the houses are more spread out.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Can anyone suggest any neighborhoods that are woodsy or rustic in Wake co? I'm looking for a neighborhood that all the trees weren't wiped out to build the houses. Price under $160,000. Smaller homes are fine too.
To stay in that price range and get "woodsy", I am guessing you are going to have to look on the fringes in older subdivisions. Coachman's Trail comes to my mind when I think of a woodsy subdivision but I am guessing that nothing is going to come under your $160,000 cap. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Mine Valley maybe an option. It's woodsy in certain parts of it that I can see on Google maps. Doesa nayone know about this subdivision. I knw the houses are older and kind of small. I like the idea that the houses are more spread out.
Mine Valley has a lot of trees, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary