Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Again...I've lived here for 30 years. It always amazes me that those from other states always begin complaining after being here about 3 years. The complaint? They want the "others" to stop coming!!!

Do you see the irony???

Vicki
I will have been here for 3 years come May. On that magical day I look forward the transformation that will turn me into a grumpy transplant who desires to close the door behind me......

Just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I will have been here for 3 years come May. On that magical day I look forward the transformation that will turn me into a grumpy transplant who desires to close the door behind me......

Just kidding!
Silly NRG...you can't just "close the door", we have to put up a FENCE!!!

Vicki

Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Hopefully, the influx won't drive prices up to NY, NJ, and CA levels.

In NC, raising taxes is not taken lightly. Let's hope it stays that way.

Hope the Summer doesn't make you wish you didn't come here.
The CA exodus of the late 80's early 90's did the same thing to the Pacific Northwest. There was a saying: "Don't Californicate the Pacific Northwest". And like I see here with some comments on these forums, people tend to jump to the same conclusions. We are leaving the upper Midwest and Northeast in droves, coming down south, forcing our "Northern natures" on you good Southerners and spoiling it for everyone.

Well, that's just not true. It's the natural migration of things. When crazy politics, escalating taxes and ridiculous cost of living as well as a sinking job market in CA (sound familiar, people of the upper midwest and New England?) drove people out, they headed to where they felt was a reasonable distance, some sort of cultural similarity and a more sane lifestyle. Kansas and Oklahoma weren't it. Washington and Oregon fit the bill. I know you guys all know my husband is an Oregon native. I'm not but have lived in the PNW 12+ years. I also lived in the Bay area almost 8 years. The second "tour" to SF was when we left Portland (over my protests!). We were there a year and a half and I got us transferred back to sanity-ville. It took about a month to change over our CA plates. During that time, I can't tell you how many times I got the finger from the "polite" Seattlites (many of whom were from someplace else--just like in the Triangle), got run off the road and once, even blocked in to a parking space at the bank and threatened---physically---to go home to CA. They assumed I was a native. And even if I were a native, is it so bad to want something else? Last I looked, you didn't need a passport or a visa to visit or move to another state within the U.S. This attitude upsets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Again...I've lived here for 30 years. It always amazes me that those from other states always begin complaining after being here about 3 years. The complaint? They want the "others" to stop coming!!!

Do you see the irony???
Unfortunately, I do. And it's not pretty. ::

Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM

17 posts, read 58,398 times
Well, all I can add to this is... I've been here 40 years this coming September.

Yep, there used to be a real quality of life. Things moved slow. Drivers were polite. It wasn't too hard to get around. And the place was, above all, clean and green.

Not all development over the last 30 years or so has been bad, and on the whole, there have been improvements, and we have many more options available.

But with this latest influx from other parts of the US, and yes, Mexico... the very best aspects of the Triangle are, IMO, behind us.

Nothing but crowded and lawless highways (routine speed: 95 miles per hour, with not a cop in sight); gridlock on every other corner, and garbage strewn as far as the eye can see. And people aren't near as friendly and polite as they used to be.

I miss real Southerners.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
And California used to truly be the Golden State. Been to LA recently? It's a garbage dump. I lived in San Francisco between 1978 and 1982. I came from Boston. I was amazed at how clean it was compared to Boston. Then again, I was amazed how clean Boston was compared to Philadelphia, where I grew up.

I moved to the PNW and returned to San Francisco 10 years later, in 1988. In those 10 years, the City had gone waaaay downhill. Graffitti on the busses, trolleys and trains (unheard of when I'd first moved there). Homeless people strewn all over the city literally grabbing at you as you walked to work. Sky high prices, rude people, trash everywhere. Sound familiar?

I hate to say this, but the ugly dark side of the economic boom is that the area does lose much of what made it attractive in the first place, Unfortunately, for you long time Raleighites, we mean, dirty, rude people from the Northeast find it way more attractive than the land of the frozen tundra.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
So when NC becomes "used up" like all of the other aforementioned places...where is everyone going to next? My money is on Kentucky...maybe even just South Carolina. Who knows, in another 30 years or something; things could go full circle and the Northeast and Midwest could be the "in places" to be again? Does this mean when I'm in my 70's my modest yet very liveable house in the suburbs of Rochester NY will start to appreciate rapidly in value for about 5 years and then plumet? Perhaps by that time we will begin colonizing mars or venus and people will be flocking from the "dreary old expensive rude earth" to "friendly new and prosporous" mars?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So when NC becomes "used up" like all of the other aforementioned places...where is everyone going to next? My money is on Kentucky...maybe even just South Carolina. Who knows, in another 30 years or something; things could go full circle and the Northeast and Midwest could be the "in places" to be again? Does this mean when I'm in my 70's my modest yet very liveable house in the suburbs of Rochester NY will start to appreciate rapidly in value for about 5 years and then plumet? Perhaps by that time we will begin colonizing mars or venus and people will be flocking from the "dreary old expensive rude earth" to "friendly new and prosporous" mars?
That's why areas like NC should discourage migration by building no roads and not touting the state as a great place to live.

WCPSS especially needs to no longer promote its quality to prospective transplants.

This can be stopped if the right moves are made before the deterioration reaches the turning point.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Silly NRG...you can't just "close the door", we have to put up a FENCE!!!

Vicki
But, Vicki, the HOA would never allow this!

Hang in there, friend, there's hope.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:23 PM

920 posts, read 2,808,936 times
What happened to LA and Portland doesn't have to happen to Raleigh. I believe it's all about the attitudes transplants bring with them. If they start acting arrogant, rude and smug, it can obviously have a negative impact. (Portland natives are like that too, though -- it's just gotten A LOT worse in the past few years).

I'm leaving Portland for Raleigh, in part to escape that attitude and seek out a friendlier and more relaxed way of life. I hope my fellow transplants, no matter where they're from, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Bad behavior from transplants gives us all a bad name. Some of us just want better lives for ourselves and have no intention of turning it into a replica of where we came from.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM

After New Orleans, it was Heaven when we came here in 1989.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary