Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 PM

132 posts, read 445,889 times

Advertisements

silverwing provided a silver lining. excellent post !

No guesses about next book on my reading list

Going to have a peaceful sleep now - trying to picture how Mr. Boone went about nipping 30 bears in 24 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Current transplants do seem to be "fleeing" other parts of the country... People move here, saying they are looking for a friendlier place; maybe because of the weather. But would they really be so hot to live here if jobs were stable back where they came from; if it wasn't a necessity to be bilingual and they felt pushed out of place by people not in this country legally? Would the weather really be such an issue (at least to the younger folks) if they had their dream homes to bundle in, knowing they lived in an area where life was stable and they felt their kids were safe and well-schooled?
Very interesting post!

I can only answer for myself here, but I am fleeing *and* purposely choosing Raleigh because I've always loved the south and really want to live there.

Weather is the main issue I'm fleeing Portland (with the smug hipsters a distant second). The dark rainy climate here makes me miserable six months out of the year. I'm tired of spending half of my life with a deep damp chill in my bones. The lack of sun makes me crabby and depressed. I've really got to get out of here, so to answer your questions:

1. Yes. Jobs aren't stable here, but I have a successful small business I am giving up in order to move. I'll start up the same thing in Raleigh. Raleigh seems to have a strong market for what I do, as does Portland.

2. Yes. I grew up in LA, so I'm used to living around Mexicans and I like Mexicans. I'm not so fond of illegals, but I think NC and Oregon have about the same number of them. Unfortunately, it's a growing problem everywhere. I speak a little Spanish and want to learn more, but not out of necessity -- just because it's fun.

3. Yes. I don't have my dream home, but I own a home here and could upgrade to something a little better, if I wanted to stay here.

4. I don't have kids, but I feel safe in Portland, and Raleigh seems equally safe or maybe a little more dangerous.

I still want to move there! It's calling me.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
It's not a 'Grapes of Wrath' situation for everyone looking to move to NC. For us, it's simply a chance for a better life, in a nice place. It's not like I'm currently living in a dust bowl or anything like that...people throughout history have moved here and there. Transplants aren't going to be the end of NC or the end of where they came from. 100 years ago, my family got off the boat from Italy. Italy is still there and well populated! People move. It's ok.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
It's not a 'Grapes of Wrath' situation for everyone looking to move to NC. For us, it's simply a chance for a better life, in a nice place. It's not like I'm currently living in a dust bowl or anything like that...people throughout history have moved here and there. Transplants aren't going to be the end of NC or the end of where they came from. 100 years ago, my family got off the boat from Italy. Italy is still there and well populated! People move. It's ok.
It's OK when growth is managed well.

Just heard a prediction of a 20 cent rise in property tax in the future to build more schools.

Why should all Wake County residents be gigged for this? Transplants need to pay their way with impact fees. Otherwise, they will create the tax mess they are now fleeing in NY, NJ, and CA.

Growth is not always good. It can be stopped by a rigorous policy of not encouraging sprawl and making new development pay for infrastructure up front. If that pushes growth elsewhere, no loss.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Italy is actually a mess. The birth rate is so low there among natives that they project within 100 years there will be no full blood Italians left in Italy! They have one of the lowest GDP growth rates among industrialized countries in the world. Granted this may have more to do with the reprecussions of WWII than the mass migration from the country around the turn of the century, but you never know. Look where most Italian immigrants ended up..in the Northeast. What area now is considered by many to be the "least liveable" and "most leaveable" area of the country...the NE. (note I am not blaming this on Italians or Italian-Americans, lol. I'm 1/2 Italian myself).

The people of Italy emigrated to America (again, mostly the northeast) because they were literaly starving to death and the country was faced with disease and dictatorship. The dust bowl migrants went to the west coast because a horrible drought killed all of their crops and left them with NO way to feed their families or support any kind of livelyhood. The majority of transplants to NC are looking for lower taxes and bigger, newer home, and in the case of those from the NE, milder weather (all of these things mixed in with a few others often equates to the given reason of "better quality of life"). I know there are some who actually have lost their jobs and really can't find another one where they are now, but that is actually a minority among transplants. Many actually quit the jobs they have at home, and move to NC without jobs lined up! I'm not saying that people don't have the right to move where they want to if they feel they will be happier there and perhaps live life more comfortably. But it is not right to put them in the same category as people who actually had MUCH more seious issues to flee for their survival.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
Of course I can't be sure that only the transplants are speeding, but I was basing that on the the fact that the problem didn't exist here until after the mass influx began. The same goes for our litter epidemic.

So.... because transplants find our roads smooth and fun to drive on, that means drivers should be chronically speeding on them? I don't quite get your logic on that one. Guess I'm just too much of a law-abiding citizen.
It was a humorous comment--not to be taken seriously. What's serious is the state of the roads in New England, but that's a thread for a different forum.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm not saying that people don't have the right to move where they want to if they feel they will be happier there and perhaps live life more comfortably. But it is not right to put them in the same category as people who actually had MUCH more seious issues to flee for their survival.

Well, you really don't get to judge for other people, how serious their issues are to THEM. And you painted a pretty broad and not overall accurate picture of Italian immigrants.

For me, my reasons are accurate and serious and I am fully confident in the choices I am making, to move to NC.

Again, people have moved all over the place, all throughout history-that's how it goes. It's ok. Some folks need to really relax

Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Well, you really don't get to judge for other people, how serious their issues are to THEM. And you painted a pretty broad and not overall accurate picture of Italian immigrants.

For me, my reasons are accurate and serious and I am fully confident in the choices I am making, to move to NC.

Again, people have moved all over the place, all throughout history-that's how it goes. It's ok. Some folks need to really relax
True, but we can learn from past mistakes.

Greed of developers can power growth. It can, and must, be controlled. The developers spoil a nice area then move on to spoil another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary