Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,323,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I doubt they get paid that much as they are usually poorly paid. But I would pay more taxes for this. A 1% budget increase? For every $1000 we pay in taxes that would only be ten dollars. Plus the fines could return some of the money spent as well.
A police salary in NC isn't $70,000, but it costs a lot more than the just the salary to put a policeman or woman on the street...payroll taxes, insurance, pension, uniforms, cars, weapons, training, etc. It adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,094,383 times
They should take some of the access Virginia cops that love to sit on the side of 95N

Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM

652 posts, read 2,697,690 times
I see a lot of red light runners since Raleigh still has terribly timed traffic signals.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 4,465,181 times
I also see a lot of red light runners. I regularly have to wait a few seconds in my green light to wait for people to stop running their red

Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,553,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I see a lot of red light runners since Raleigh still has terribly timed traffic signals.
or maybe just impatient people......

Old 11-17-2017, 03:54 PM

360 posts, read 719,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I doubt they get paid that much as they are usually poorly paid. But I would pay more taxes for this. A 1% budget increase? For every $1000 we pay in taxes that would only be ten dollars. Plus the fines could return some of the money spent as well.
As others said, costs are much more than the paycheck. Benefits and all the associated things(cars, maintenance, gas, training and on and on) cost money. Many of the things you mention in your initial post don't even result in fines. For instance(not that this was mentioned), state law doesn't allow for a fine if you are going less than 10mph over the speed limit, only a warning and 0 points against your license. Failure to use a turn signal doesn't carry a fine either unless it causes an accident. I'll use myself as an example....when I was younger, I got stopped by a state trooper for not stopping at a stop sign for 8 seconds, not using a turn signal and going 8mph over the speed limit. The result? Nothing...not even a warning! Did it deter the behavior? Nope, if anything, it sent the message that there are no consequences for it, so who cares. Mind you, I'm much older now and a smarter driver now. I also got stopped not long ago by RPD for a burned out tail light, which I wasn't aware I had. The result? Same as my first example. They didn't even check my license or registration. The moral if the story is that more police will not fix behaviors and may even embolden them if they figure out there aren't consequences.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,475,057 times
So many stupid, careless drivers on the road now that a ticket blitz would be great if there were enough officers to be dedicated to traffic enforcement.

This would rack up fines, outrageous court costs, and insurance points enough to get through the brains of the idiots now on our roads.

One time, I was walking my grandson in a carriage across the street in front of Triangle Town Center. We were in the crosswalk with the white "cross" indicator lit up. An idiot apparently on a phone made a right turn nearly taking us out. Luckily an officer was nearby and tried to pull her over. She didn't wake up until he put on the siren. I told him I'd testify if she fought the citation.

These losers need to be hit so hard by fines and insurance surcharges that they'd either clean up their acts or get their sorry selves out of our communities.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:35 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,792,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
are the laws enforced though?
Yes. My husband got a ticket in Delaware for talking on his phone while driving. He didn't even know it was illegal. LOL

Old 11-18-2017, 06:31 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,980,872 times
Talking on the phone per se does not need to be illegal. There could be fines/warnings based on erratic driving behavior: slow starts from a stop light, stopping at least a full car length behind the car ahead, wobbling all over the lane (and outside of the constraint lines), drifting, and other obvious signs of being consistently distracted. Some people can talk and drive perfectly well, but others, who are probably not very experienced drivers in the first place, should only do one thing at a time. And some locations are safer than others. But wherever there are two cars near each other on the road, the drivers need to be paying attention. Ditto where there are pedestrians, parked cars, bikes, motorcycles, innocent deer.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,531,466 times
LEO's have more than traffic enforcement responsibilities, for sure.

One day in Cary: Look at Nov 15 over at Town of Cary Police Department P2C - provided by OSSI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary