Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

I’ve done the NE raleigh to Chapel Hill commute and it wasn’t that bad. For the vibe you want Durham seems to fit the bill especially in the Cleveland Holloway (I think - Durham folks correct me if I’m wrong) area. Downtown raleigh could have the same and Chapel Hill - carrboro definitely does. If you’re in Durham you can take 98 across to wake forest depending on how far north and east you are for work. That’s an enjoyable drive but I also don’t mind commuting some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 7,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
The day in and day out of driving from Durham to NE Raleigh would wear me down pretty fast. Then if you have to be at work during ice/snow, you'll start packing and moving to a closer location to work right then.

Start the hipster movement in NE Raleigh. Be the urban pioneer. Use the time saved from not commuting to make your home brew or start an organic farm in the back yard.
What, I was told NC shuts down when it dusts snow!! I kid. But this is a valid concern. Being from the midwest I don't think I could deal with inept poor-weather drivers.

So it seems like the consensus is... there isn't one. I could stretch my budget to 1400/month and I have expanded my search to townhomes, but apartments are definitely out.

My company has a pretty flexible schedule - I don't HAVE to be in the office by 8 so I figure I could adjust my schedule to help with commute times. Plus I'm pretty sure I could VPN in if the weather blows. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

And.. I'm a lady. Well, I have female parts. Lady might be pushing it.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
A thought for you... this area is rapidly expanding.

What seems like a good commute now (you said you like 20 minutes or so) could turn much longer in a few years. I know you're renting, but if you get set on an area and really like where you live, neighbors, etc (which you will get more of that established feel renting a SFH) you may not want to switch from Durham to Raleigh or vice versa.

I'd do what makes sense for you with a pet to consider. Keeping a shorter commute and taking the long way to work is a good idea. That way, if traffic gets worse, you can switch it up and opt for what was a shorter route and still be happy.

My 2 cents, such as it is.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
A thought for you... this area is rapidly expanding.

What seems like a good commute now (you said you like 20 minutes or so) could turn much longer in a few years. I know you're renting, but if you get set on an area and really like where you live, neighbors, etc (which you will get more of that established feel renting a SFH) you may not want to switch from Durham to Raleigh or vice versa.

I'd do what makes sense for you with a pet to consider. Keeping a shorter commute and taking the long way to work is a good idea. That way, if traffic gets worse, you can switch it up and opt for what was a shorter route and still be happy.

My 2 cents, such as it is.
It might be all the drinking I've been doing lately but.. I don't understand. A shorter commute and taking the long way to work?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araneina22 View Post
It might be all the drinking I've been doing lately but.. I don't understand. A shorter commute and taking the long way to work?
Meaning, if you like the area, don't disregard it because the commute is shorter. You could always just take the back streets and avoid the highways, for example, if you want more time in a car with your music in the AM.

If it gets busier taking back streets, you could switch up to highways. That was my point. I think you can find what you want in Raleigh or in Durham, really. I also think there's something to be said for living closer to work.

The days you WANT to get home quickly, it's good not to be far away.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Meaning, if you like the area, don't disregard it because the commute is shorter. You could always just take the back streets and avoid the highways, for example, if you want more time in a car with your music in the AM.

If it gets busier taking back streets, you could switch up to highways. That was my point. I think you can find what you want in Raleigh or in Durham, really. I also think there's something to be said for living closer to work.

The days you WANT to get home quickly, it's good not to be far away.
Yeah, I agree. My biggest concern is the dog. If she gets sick I'll of course want to be close to home. Otherwise I couldn't care less as I'm hardly ever home.

Hmmm, decisions decisions. At this point in time I'm renting an Airbnb and I'm going to spend a week or so checking places out. So hopefully that gives me a good feel for the different neighborhoods. I just know that suburbia isn't for me - I grew up in it and every time I have to visit it a little bit of my soul dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary