Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 6,624 times

Advertisements

I am new to Raleigh NC and searching for an apartment. I relocated from PHL and now living with friends. I have 2 jobs, no pets, no kids and can pay up to 1000 a month. I have a clean criminal background, no evictions, no owed rent or damaged property. My credit history is very short and I only have 1 open line of credit which is my car and it is paid ontime every month. I do have a utility bill on there in which im disputing and a credit card under 500 bucks that I owe. Thats all thats on there yet they keep asking for a Guarantor. I have applied to 3 apts and same story. I was told I need to get another line of credit to start building up my credit report...Ok. I hear ya, but I need a place to live before I worry about a credit card I need a place NOW. I cannot afford to keep paying app fees to onle be asked if I have a guarantor. Where else can I look besides craigslist? Willing to live in RDU, DUrham, Cary, CLayton, Garner. Anywhere. Please provide names or numbers.

What I need is, Places, phone numbers, property management info, websites.

Last edited by imsoimportant; 11-17-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
could one of your friends be your Guarantor?
maybe PAY your friend to do that.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
It's going to keep happening. Can you not get a roommate for now from craigslist roommate section? That's whay I had to do for my first 2 years here...saved me a lot of money, actually...lots of cool people willing to rent out a room for 500 a month.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks TurkeyDance, but thats not an option.. I wouldnt ask someone to do something for me that I most certainly wouldnt do for them. So that's not an option. I will do what I can on my own.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks LordHelmit, May be what I need to do for a short term stay. I really need my own space because I have a job that I can work remotely (from home or office). its getting cold out and it would be nice to work from my own space and save money on lunch gas, and more sleep.. This will need to be a last resort for me

Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Why can't you work at home with a roommate? Chances are they won't even be home during the day, but if they are, you just work in your room.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Yes I can, however, I am a reservation agent for an airline and it will need to be a quiet background. I would never want to live with a roomate and subject them to not playing music, or tv, or even having their company "keep their voice down". Even if Im in my room, (Which is a reason I dont prefer a roomate) I wouldnt want to sit in the same place locked in a room for 8-10.. I need range.. So again, this is an option but will be a last option. Im old enough to know that situations start out great but can get bad. Trying to avoid every issue thats in my power. Thank u

Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Try individuals instead of apartment complexes.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Get a free copy of your credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com and print it.

Bring it to an apt you might want and ask upfront if they can approve you perhaps with a higher deposit. Do not pay application fees if you are not told you have a chance. This worked for me after being bankrupted bye a layoff in New Orleans years ago.

Utility companies normally do not report to the credit bureaus. If the disputed account is in collection, file a statement of dispute with all 3 major bureaus.

I worked in credit card and security for 15 years and you sound approvable to me. Just give the credit report up front before spending money.

A co-signer is very stupid to assume the responsibility for someone else's debts. Very poor solution.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Are you sure your rent to income ratio is acceptable? If not, that could be another reason why they may be requesting a Guarantor or a really good credit rating.

My daughter also had limited credit history. We did have her get a credit card in college so she could start building her credit history. Her apartment complex was fine with her limited good credit history as long as her rent to income ratio was acceptable (which was).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary