Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 02:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Your first order of business is to decide what you want.
Yes, that makes the process much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 02:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,599 times
Roach allergies are serious. Get a letter from your GF's doctor.

Present this and ask to be immediately released by certified mail. Do not stay in the complex.

This will be a serious scare to the owners since medical bills can rack up a big loss.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
OP, the google reviews of that place talk about roaches so there is NO WAY the management is unaware of this .... they are slumlords, it seems.

So keep taking pictures, go to them again, document it, ask to break the lease, and ultimately get out.

Take the to small claims court for the deposit if you must. I don't know how it is in NC, but in other states there needs to be actual cause to keep a deposit.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:53 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I assumed the OP has already talked to them and decided that they were not going to agree to dropping the lease willingly. That is always the first obvious thing to do.
I wasn’t referring to the local management office. I was talking about the main corporate office (this company runs many locations in NC), which apparently the OP mentioned later in the thread that they are considering, but haven’t done yet. I would call them right away. They may be unaware of how the location is being managed. I can tell you that the environment that the OP is living in is NOT up to the standard of Hawthorne Residential.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
OP, the google reviews of that place talk about roaches so there is NO WAY the management is unaware of this .... they are slumlords, it seems.
It's not just Midtown. I looked at reviews of other nearby Hawthorne apartments (Six Forks and North Ridge) out of sheer curiosity and there are a LOT of pissed off tenants! They have even more bad reviews than Midtown.

I agree that there's no way in hell the owners don't know anything about the roaches or the other problems people are bitching about. Those apartments sound like glorified outhouses.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Read reviews of any apartment complex, and you’ll find a lot of pissed off tenants. It’s the nature of apartment living. And they’re often less than truthful.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 PM

197 posts, read 208,329 times
OP, I am sorry this has happened to you. Just terrible. I don't have any new advice but, I seem to recall that you were raving about an apartment you previously lived (near PNC arena?). Why did you leave there? Go back there's not an option?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Read reviews of any apartment complex, and you’ll find a lot of pissed off tenants. It’s the nature of apartment living. And they’re often less than truthful.
Well, we know the reviews are truthful about the roaches, so...

And that wasn't really my point. The point is that the management probably knows the reviews are there.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Well, we know the reviews are truthful about the roaches, so...

And that wasn't really my point. The point is that the management probably knows the reviews are there.
I wasn’t calling into question the OP’s story. But no, not all reviews about roaches are truthful. There are people who embellish reviews both negatively and positively. I tend to stick with the “middle of the road” reviews as typically most truthful (in all things, to be honest, not just apartments).

Since I have first hand current experience with Hawthorne Residential, I’ll stick with my feelings on their corporate standards and practices.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wasn’t calling into question the OP’s story. But no, not all reviews about roaches are truthful. There are people who embellish reviews both negatively and positively. I tend to stick with the “middle of the road” reviews as typically most truthful (in all things, to be honest, not just apartments).

Since I have first hand current experience with Hawthorne Residential, I’ll stick with my feelings on their corporate standards and practices.
THE OP HAS FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AS WELL...AND PHOTOS

Oh FFS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary