Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 6,079 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with any of the Triangle area STEM programs (Science Fun for Everyone, Zaniac, Mad Science and others)? I am looking for reviews, or thoughts from parents on what their child got out of the program.

Did your child learn a lot? Were they just entertained with fun colors, loud noises and fizzing reactions? Were they given experiments, or were they just given a set of instructions to follow/ a set project to do?

I have been to some free programs at the library, and while they were incredibly entertaining, I felt like the kids didn’t take away as much knowledge as they could have. My 7 year old really seems to like it, and I’m curious about the educational value of these programs.

Also, does anyone know if there is a one-stop-shop website that summarizes and reviews such programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
Science Fun for Everyone regularly does in-school field trips at my kid's Elementary School. The kids really enjoy them & seem to learn. I don't think the teachers would continue to use them if they didn't see educational value in their programs.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:57 AM

430 posts, read 626,621 times
My son did 5 or 6 sessions of Science Fun for Everyone over the years. They were definitely given experiments to do. My son always had fun and always wanted to go back.

Each day they send the parents write ups of what the kids did that day, so I went into my mail archives and picked one out at random. This one is from 2014...

This afternoon The Teslas (the older group) devoted their attention to optics. We built one of the earliest light capturing devices: the box camera! We learned that light traveling through a convex lens becomes inverted. Everyone worked to make two separate mechanisms which allow the cameras to focus on objects that are near or far away.

While The Teslas worked on their cameras, The Einsteins (the younger group) split into two groups to tackle two awesome activities. The first half began the afternoon in our Computer lab building with our Lego Robotic Kits. We saw automated top spinners, tweeting birds, boats that rocked back and forth and even airplanes that narrowly avoided crashing. Student's built models out of their Legos and then connected them to computers to program their movements.

While the first half of the group built their Lego creations, the other half began by mixing up their own batch of Silly Putty. The students mixed polyvinyl globules, sodium borate, and a little bit of all-purpose flour to make the thick sticky goo! Just like real putty, our mixture picks up ink off of a newspaper to make some stretchy funny faces!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Thank you jill7930 and Pixel_Dent! That information is really helpful!

Science Fun for Everyone sounds great.

Pixel_Dent, what made you decide to go there the first time? How does Science Fun compare to other STEM camps?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:55 PM

430 posts, read 626,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNCin13 View Post
Pixel_Dent, what made you decide to go there the first time?
I think I remember that my son went there for a birthday party and had a great time. But it was years ago.

After the first time he kept going back because he always had fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtoNCin13 View Post
How does Science Fun compare to other STEM camps?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 PM

163 posts, read 154,705 times
I have a 3rd-grader and a 1st-grader. They've both been to Science Fun for Everyone several times and loved it. They've also had the in-school field trips as mentioned above, too. I feel like they both get some good knowledge out of it, as well.

Since Discovery Child in Morrisville decided to do away with their Track Out camps, we were looking for another place with computer stuff and happened upon Zaniac. My kids liked that one so much that they attended all 3 weeks during their last Track Out (Track 4). I thought it was great that they taught them about 3D printing, but my kids mostly loved it because of Minecraft and other games. I don't think they learned as much as at Science Fun, but they enjoyed being there (which has not always been the case when we've tried new camps).

Old 11-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback! It’s great that these camps are a lot of fun. When considering a STEM camp for my child, I am looking for one that will be fun and also instill some curiosity in him.

For anyone who has been to a camp, did you notice any change in your child after the camp? Were they more curious? Did they want to explore more, or try to repeat the project at home? Maybe they started making more observations, or were more confident when approaching something new at school. Anything that would suggest that the camp made an impact on your child’s thinking?

Do the camps give the kids more activities to do when the program is done to try to extend the learning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary