Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM

678 posts, read 738,072 times

Advertisements

There's not enough room for multiple types of the same kind of restaurant/food in Parkside. You have Uncle Maddio's, Brixx Pizza, and Harris Teeter's Pizza (and the Italian restaurant too). You have two Tex Mex places: Chuy's and Tijuana Flats.

Just too many food places, and not enough traffic for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wow, I'm in the minority here, but I like Tijuanna Flats. I am often the first to turn my nose at bland, generic chains, but I've always had good experiences at 3 different TF locations. Always super impressed with the service and smiles, to the point that I've actually taken time to stop the manager and compliment them.

Food-wise, I think of them in the same vain as Chipotle or Moe's. Not earth-shattering, but always good, flavorful and seemingly fresh.

Not to argue. Just taking note. Surprised to see the comments. (Love some of the more unique sauces too)
I'm with you. I'll take TF over either Chipotle or Moe's. Moe's is awful IMO-nothing is ever served hot enough for me to feel like they actually cooked it through. TF is far from the best Mexican around, but kids are free on Sundays, they have decent beers on tap, and we always get out of there cheaper than we thought we would. The Kildaire location is pretty decent service-wise, as well.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I'm with you. I'll take TF over either Chipotle or Moe's. Moe's is awful IMO-nothing is ever served hot enough for me to feel like they actually cooked it through. TF is far from the best Mexican around, but kids are free on Sundays, they have decent beers on tap, and we always get out of there cheaper than we thought we would. The Kildaire location is pretty decent service-wise, as well.
TF isn't the best but I also agree that it's better than Chipotle or Moe's when it comes to fast-casual "Mexican" restaurants.

Chubby's Tacos is probably the best around here as well as Taqueria El Toro if you are in the Garner area. Los Cuates is great too in North Raleigh.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Can we really get some other kinds of food around here other than Americanized Italian or Mexican? That's what it seems like people want. On the other hand, a really good Italian place that seems "home" style like Ricci's at Cary Park seems to do well and people really like it.

I'm not sure how the Indian stuff at Persis is doing, or Chinese style like the one at Parkside by the optometry office. Tzakiki's is not Greek at all and is very poor quality.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Can we really get some other kinds of food around here other than Americanized Italian or Mexican? That's what it seems like people want. On the other hand, a really good Italian place that seems "home" style like Ricci's at Cary Park seems to do well and people really like it.

I'm not sure how the Indian stuff at Persis is doing, or Chinese style like the one at Parkside by the optometry office. Tzakiki's is not Greek at all and is very poor quality.
There is an enormous variety of restaurants around here. It's funny because IMO there's a lack of Italian restaurants (good or bad, americanized or not). I'm not counting pizza places as Italian.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:

Tried Persis a few weeks ago. Food was really good but service was very, very slow. We were sat right away (with 6 people) but it took a good 15-20 minutes before someone came to take our drink order. The dude taking our order left the table twice in the middle of it to consult the greater about something. Then apps took another 20 minutes; meals took over 40. I know that Indian cuisine tends to take longer to cook but man it was a long night.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
There is an enormous variety of restaurants around here. It's funny because IMO there's a lack of Italian restaurants (good or bad, americanized or not). I'm not counting pizza places as Italian.
Couple places to try - Vivace (North Hills), Garibaldi Trattoria (Fuquay), Dantes Italiano (Wakefield/Wake Forest), Melo Trattoria (Durham), Gocciolina (Durham), La Piazza (Clayton area), Mamma Mia (Apex), Casa Carbone (north of Crabtree off Glenwood), Sopranos Grill (off New Bern between 440 and 540), Tarantini (Chapel Hill)

Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 AM

430 posts, read 626,567 times
Quote:
Tzakiki's is not Greek at all and is very poor quality.
And this is why de gustibus non disputandum est.

Originally I tried the traditional greek food like gyros there and wasn't thrilled, but then I explored their menu more and found a lot of things that are really tasty. In fact it's now one of my favorite restaurants in the area. I like their fresh greek salad with nicely spiced shrimp, tasty dressing, and rice for around 500 calories.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:

Not exactly Greek, but you should try:
Bosphorus in Cary - Turkish
Kababish in Cary - I think Pakistani, but fairly diverse menu
Instanbul in Cary - Turkish
and ESPECIALLY Mediterranean Grill in Durham, Parkwood Neighborhood - Schwarma, Giro, etc. So good!

Also, for something nicer: Sitti for Lebanese, as well as Neomonde and Sasool, also Lebanese.

A bit off topic, but Charlotte (where I grew up) has a very vibrant Greek Community, and therefore a lot of great restaurants. I recently read that 8 of the 10 oldest restaurants in Charlotte are connected to the Greek Community.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Our order got screwed up at Maddio's the last couple times we were there, which was several months ago. The owner apologized saying he bought it from the original franchise owner who had to sell when she got a serious illness, maybe cancer, can't remember. Anyway, he said he was trying to work the kinks out with the employees as they had been left on their own for a while. Guess he never did get things squared away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary