Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Needless to say, other states and communities in the deep South can be a different story. I have a friend here in Michigan who annually visits his family in a small town in Georgia, driving his Honda CRV down from Michigan. But when he gets there, he first drives to the airport, parks, and rents an American car, which he then drives to his parent's house.......Apparently, on past visits, there was some negative commentary from people in that small town about his "foreign" car, so he avoids the problem in a creative way. Nothing escalated in the past (such as vandalism), but he wasn't taking any chances.
That's just ridiculous! I think that says more about his specific relatives than anything else. There are plenty of folks driving Hondas and Toyotas and everything else all over the South. Now some folks do favor a Toyota Tundra over your Corolla or a Honda Ridgeline over your Accord Hybrid, but I don't think anyone would look twice at any car you drove unless you had some questionable bumper stickers. Take a drive via Google streetview in small town Georgia sometime and count the number of "foreign" cars you see. There are big Kia Honda factories in small town Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I consider myself North Carolinian, but many people I know whose families are actually rooted here would scoff at me calling myself native. As far as they're concerned I'm an anchor baby. And that's the thing. It is true my parents are not from NC. My family's from the northeast. You ARE from NC, so your kids' situation is a bit different.

Where is your family from, for reference?

I would rate Colorado higher than NC, but I also like the Triangle more than Denver. I still like Denver a lot. Love the Rockies, the funky towns in the front range, the things to do downtown, and the natural scenery. But it's kind of an ugly city. Imagine an area from Raleigh to Greensboro filled completely with characterless sprawl. And for half the year it's a drab brown/gray everywhere in the foothills. Also the homeless population downtown is massive.

NC cities usually get spit on in the City vs City forum because we don't hype them. There is a reason people like it here though. Raleigh is secretly a very cool city, but most importantly, unpretentious about it.
From NC as far back as anyone in the family can recall.

Last edited by RedZin; 12-06-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 12:39 AM

We are not going to talk about the Confederacy here except to say that NC was a part of it. Notably, for anyone not familiar with history, NC wasn't exactly a state that jumped to join it.

Take it on over to P&OC if you really want to talk about it.

Sidebar: Per the NCGIS, there's a huge chunk of NC that's Mid-Atlantic. Which is probably a factor that has always effected the culture in the state. I don't work for NCGIS, I just know how to Google.

So, we've been similar to areas that are familiar to people to the North of us, in some fashion, since the formation of the colonies. Which may explain why we've had some degree of steady transplantation from areas to the North of us for about that long, too.

Last edited by RedZin; 12-06-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
We experienced it with a doctor in the hospital emergency dept and it was really uncomfortable and very unprofessional. He commented in a very rude way about "all the liberal old retired people moving in with their medicare and social security". He actually knew nothing about us other than we had medicare and we weren't southern.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
We experienced it with a doctor in the hospital emergency dept and it was really uncomfortable and very unprofessional. He commented in a very rude way about "all the liberal old retired people moving in with their medicare and social security". He actually knew nothing about us other than we had medicare and we weren't southern.
Which hospital?

Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
Honestly yes. We are tired of the transplants moving down here with their bad attitudes and changing things

Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Honestly yes. We are tired of the transplants moving down here with their bad attitudes and changing things
Thank you for your honesty.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Was that the royal "we?"

Because, I'm a native and I don't have any trouble with anyone who moves here as long as those people turn out to be good neighbors who contribute positively to the area.

Which, I think, should be what we all want when you think about it.

A good mix of people who are good neighbors and enhance everyone's enjoyment of the Triangle area.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which hospital?

Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach. But other than that ER doc, my husband received great care during his 7 day admission.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach. But other than that ER doc, my husband received great care during his 7 day admission.
I'm not thinking you'd have this issue in the Triangle area in a hospital. Which is what this thread is about.

I'm sorry that happened to you in South Carolina, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary