Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times

Advertisements

Thought about you lot / this thread during my holiday travels when this happened yesterday. Was traveling for the holidays to see friends and family, stopped by a place I used to go to in downstate NY:

Me : Do you bake these here? (was getting local bagels and pastries)
Store guy: Yeah, they’re really good, aren’t they?
Me : I love these things, I get them every time I come here
Store guy: Where are you coming from?
Me : NC
Store guy: You from there?
Me : No. I’m from all over, including around here a few years. I live there now
Store guy: Where in NC?
Me : Raleigh
Store guy: Where?
Me : Where in Raleigh? Why, you know Raleigh?
Store guy: Yeah, I lived there a couple years
Me : North Raleigh (and this went on for a bit)
Store guy: What do you think of it there?
Me : It’s nice, still getting used to it, like most places, got its pluses and minuses. You?
Store guy: Nah
Me : Oh? Why?
Store guy: The people
Me : ?
Store guy: Polite to your face, then they back stab you. Happened a few times. We don’t do that around here

And then another customer ordered and the conversation ended. But it was interesting to hear the other side of what this OP is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 AM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Thought about you lot / this thread during my holiday travels when this happened yesterday. Was traveling for the holidays to see friends and family, stopped by a place I used to go to in downstate NY:

Me : Do you bake these here? (was getting local bagels and pastries)
Store guy: Yeah, they’re really good, aren’t they?
Me : I love these things, I get them every time I come here
Store guy: Where are you coming from?
Me : NC
Store guy: You from there?
Me : No. I’m from all over, including around here a few years. I live there now
Store guy: Where in NC?
Me : Raleigh
Store guy: Where?
Me : Where in Raleigh? Why, you know Raleigh?
Store guy: Yeah, I lived there a couple years
Me : North Raleigh (and this went on for a bit)
Store guy: What do you think of it there?
Me : It’s nice, still getting used to it, like most places, got its pluses and minuses. You?
Store guy: Nah
Me : Oh? Why?
Store guy: The people
Me : ?
Store guy: Polite to your face, then they back stab you. Happened a few times. We don’t do that around here

And then another customer ordered and the conversation ended. But it was interesting to hear the other side of what this OP is about.
I hear what the store guy is saying. Even a polite New Yorker will lose it once surrounded by crass, aggressive people on all sides. Polite southerners who get mad at you for something will grit their teeth, smile and blurt out a “Bless your heart” . Meanwhile they are seething. Truth is the backstabbers are everywhere; in NY the sheer number of people make them more prevalent and less disguised. I guess store guy prefers it that way.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
I hear what the store guy is saying. Even a polite New Yorker will lose it once surrounded by crass, aggressive people on all sides. Polite southerners who get mad at you for something will grit their teeth, smile and blurt out a “Bless your heart” . Meanwhile they are seething. Truth is the backstabbers are everywhere; in NY the sheer number of people make them more prevalent and less disguised. I guess store guy prefers it that way.
"What they doin"
"They smilin in your face...all the time want to take your place"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTeLePbB08

I've heard the two face complaint I think more often than not people can't accept public courtesies and assume a motive.

It's kind of like Europeans on Americans smiling

On another note I was at the mall and holding the door open for two women coming out behind my wife and instead of the standard "thank you" I just got a weird stare as they walked through the door i was holding lol

Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
You will get along fine in most southern towns if you avoid such insults and lay off the jokes about how we shut down for an inch of snow. Yes, we do. But we would be foolish to invest huge sums in snow equipment that we may not even use some years that we don't have any snow.
I think it's probably a lot more cost effective to do it the way we do it. 9 times out of 10 the snow is gone in 2 days. We had a few snowflakes a couple of weeks ago here in western Orange County (out near White Cross), roads were slick for a minute, but it was gone w/in a few hours.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of the cost of road clearing equipment, etc, vs just shutting schools and offices down for a day or two. Wonder where the break-even point for a ROI is? To be clear we do have some plows and brine, etc. And I'm pretty sure we also get more sleet and freezing rain than they do up north where they get more snow. Ice is no good for driving and I think it's harder to clear than snow.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:09 PM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
"What they doin"
"They smilin in your face...all the time want to take your place"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTeLePbB08

I've heard the two face complaint I think more often than not people can't accept public courtesies and assume a motive.

It's kind of like Europeans on Americans smiling

On another note I was at the mall and holding the door open for two women coming out behind my wife and instead of the standard "thank you" I just got a weird stare as they walked through the door i was holding lol
I Love and extend public courtesies.
That’s why I am an EX-NY’ER.
What surprises me living here is when I hold a door or let someone go in front of me and get no acknowledgement. Common in NY; a rarity here.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I've stayed out of this for the most part but as a transplant I just want to note that WE ARE AWARE that "bless your heart" is usually an insult and is very dismissive, grr.

(was just used on me in another thread)

So all of this goes both ways.

I feel like "don't be a jerk" is a pretty good motto.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM

127 posts, read 135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it's probably a lot more cost effective to do it the way we do it. 9 times out of 10 the snow is gone in 2 days. We had a few snowflakes a couple of weeks ago here in western Orange County (out near White Cross), roads were slick for a minute, but it was gone w/in a few hours.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of the cost of road clearing equipment, etc, vs just shutting schools and offices down for a day or two. Wonder where the break-even point for a ROI is? To be clear we do have some plows and brine, etc. And I'm pretty sure we also get more sleet and freezing rain than they do up north where they get more snow. Ice is no good for driving and I think it's harder to clear than snow.
On top of that, the newer salt they used up north does a number on the vehicles, and when they grind the I've off the roads it does a number on them.
The roads here aren't usually cold enough for the freezing rain to do much.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:47 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I've stayed out of this for the most part but as a transplant I just want to note that WE ARE AWARE that "bless your heart" is usually an insult and is very dismissive, grr.

I grew up in NJ and GA. Lived in Atlanta in HS and went to North Georgia often for recreation and camping. I stopped in one of those ubiquitous small town stores to buy some food and us guys were talking in a rather boisterous manner. I was waiting by the clerk, an old guy, and started talking to him. He asks in his North GA accent (almost Appalachian-he was wearing a Clemson hat) -"Where'er y'all from ?" I said Atlanta and he responded with "I doun't like Alanta". I asked him why not he replies -"...too many damn Yankees!". I still think about that comment and laugh but it exemplifies much of the traditional southern attitude.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

Oh, people know you know that.

LOL.

That said, it is sincere sometimes. It’s situational.

If you break your leg ice skating and someone comforts you with “oh! bless your heart!”

They mean you well. Unless y’all are definitely enemies.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
My grandmama told her grandchildren bless your little hearts all the time. She did so because she loved us to the moon

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 12-29-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary