Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Both hospitals have excellent reputations - as some of the best in the country. As Poppydog mentioned, US News and World Report has an excellent website detailing the rating for hospitals. Here's the link.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...pel+Hill%2C+NC

They differ slightly in their "specialties". Duke is nationally recognized for Cardiology, and Ortho, UNC is not. UNC is nationally recognized for ENT, Duke is not. Duke is nationally recognized for Geriatrics, Neurology and Neurosurgery, UNC is "High Performing".

For "common procedures they are evenly matched except Duke is "High Performing" for Heart Bypass Surgery and Heart Valve Surgery, UNC is "Average".

If you delve into the link (click on the hospital names), it will then show the # rank of Duke and UNC among the top 50 hospitals in the country by specialty - for example Cancer, since you mentioned it - has UNC rated #16 in the country and Duke rated #40.
Interesting Poppydog. Is that all in the USnews link?

As far as the cancer rating goes, I would still think that, in some cases, it's still related to the specific TYPE of cancer.
And, occasionally, it's better or neceesary to go out of the area completely, especially with rare diseases (I speak from experience).

Which is why I refused to EVER join an HMO - I want the right to choose my doctor. And I really avoid going with one of these preferred provider policies. I want a big, long list of in network doctors (but, I admit, if I felt I HAD to go out of network, I could afford to cover the bill until I reach my out of network deductible. More people should consider some level of self-insurance or an HSA to keep their premiums down or allow them to select the plan they want/need.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 02:27 AM

96 posts, read 147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Not true with Cobra. You will be charged the employer's FULL COST - NOT YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENT + 2%. This can be a big hit. Check with your HR department as to the COBRA premium.
You are correct and I definitely misspoke there. It is the FULL cost (not the subsidized rate they may be charging you) + 2%.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Another weird consideration - I don't know the answer and am curious myself - find out which one has been patient advocates/how they deal with single people.

I'm actually going through a really bizarre thing with Duke Hospital over a mere kidney stone operation and finding that one who is single and lives alone is apparently a space alien that nobody has dealt with there. I'll spare you the long story but sometimes with Duke though the care is top notch, the red tape to get to that care is a nightmare. I don't know if UNC is different. Duke will not tell you what time your surgery is until the evening before, demands a companion the entire next day and 24 hours after. This is a pure liability issue, IMO. UNC may do the same, I don't know, but it might be worth finding out.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Another weird consideration - I don't know the answer and am curious myself - find out which one has been patient advocates/how they deal with single people.

I'm actually going through a really bizarre thing with Duke Hospital over a mere kidney stone operation and finding that one who is single and lives alone is apparently a space alien that nobody has dealt with there. I'll spare you the long story but sometimes with Duke though the care is top notch, the red tape to get to that care is a nightmare. I don't know if UNC is different. Duke will not tell you what time your surgery is until the evening before, demands a companion the entire next day and 24 hours after. This is a pure liability issue, IMO. UNC may do the same, I don't know, but it might be worth finding out.
I'm sorry that you had such difficulty - having surgery is bad enough! But I must tell you that my husband has had major surgery 3 times in the past 5 years at two different Duke hospitals. I NEVER had to stay for 24 hours afterwards and, frankly, it makes no sense that if he were single there would be a different policy. One of the surgeons did ask that I remain there during the procedure (but how would they know if I left?) And DH HAD to be released to somebody who would sign a document; therefore, no taxi, uber or self drive.

I've taken several people who were single to get cholesoscopy and other types of outpatient surgery requiring anesthetic. No requirement for me to stay (though i always do) but same deal with the sign out. Several of those friends were not happy that the couldn't just get a taxi home.

So - I just don't think this is a duke policy. Maybe something having to do with the doctor? Or the hospital rep who gave you this (mis)information?

Hope you're feeling better.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 AM

it's Duke policy, it's even in their preparation for surgery PDF. My actual doctor thinks it's all absurd. I'm getting around it all by staying for their 23-hour non-admitted observation. Which will probably cost me more money. A couple of friends did offer to be on call for me but it's not really practical.

It IS different if you call them up and tell them you are not bringing a "companion" - I was compared to the indigent and mentally ill by one patient advocate, told to join a church by another, and told by another that I would be turned away for the surgery entirely; then I finally spoke to the surgical patient advocate who at least wasn't insulting.

It's very different if you're single (info coming from hospital reps). The fact that your husband was married and had someone at home probably eliminated the discussion entirely. Please don't be dismissive of what I'm dealing with right now, which is a life changing thing in terms of my emotional feelings. I have spoken to many single people who have had similar experiences and there was just a new Ted talk about this very thing. Also, please understand that when you are not even told what time your surgery it will be, it is not easy to have someone on call to just sign you out as you did for others.

"Sick While Single? Don't Die of Discrimination | Dr. Joan DelFattore | "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qJ6Nhz6LM

This isn't about me, so enough about it - I don't want to talk about my situation anymore, but I do think it's something anyone single needs to evaluate. I don't know if UNC is any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm sorry that you had such difficulty - having surgery is bad enough! But I must tell you that my husband has had major surgery 3 times in the past 5 years at two different Duke hospitals. I NEVER had to stay for 24 hours afterwards and, frankly, it makes no sense that if he were single there would be a different policy. One of the surgeons did ask that I remain there during the procedure (but how would they know if I left?) And DH HAD to be released to somebody who would sign a document; therefore, no taxi, uber or self drive.

I've taken several people who were single to get cholesoscopy and other types of outpatient surgery requiring anesthetic. No requirement for me to stay (though i always do) but same deal with the sign out. Several of those friends were not happy that the couldn't just get a taxi home.

So - I just don't think this is a duke policy. Maybe something having to do with the doctor? Or the hospital rep who gave you this (mis)information?

Hope you're feeling better.

Last edited by NM posts; 12-10-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Every surgery I have had (and I’ve hit all three systems!) they require someone home with you for the first 24 hours. It’s a liability and safety concern. Do you have a friend who can pick you up and say they’ll hang out with you? Or family who can come in from out of town? I haven’t actually needed my husband for any more than pain med reminders and ginger ale.

If not ask for a case manager who are hospital workers adept and handling similar situations. They’ll know what the best recommendations are and be able to suggest an alternative. You will not be able to drive yourself home and they’re not going to let you leave solo in an uber on pain meds.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Oh and to answer the OP where do you live? Which is closer to you physically? I have had excellent ortho and ent care from unc, cancer care at duke is amazing. Wakemed is also excellent. Honestly I don’t honk you can go wrong so I’d choose the closest.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Duke will not tell you what time your surgery is until the evening before,

That is a pain..I had to take my mom for cataract surgery at Duke last month and it really caused havoc not knowing what time I was needed till the 11th hour. We have three kids that need to be three different places and not knowing how we were going to get them around till the last minute was annoying. IDK what it's like other places...and once at Duke everything went fast and smoothly.

My dad couldn't manage driving her so even if they assume married people won't have any issues, this could be a wrong assumption, especially with older people.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That is a pain..I had to take my mom for cataract surgery at Duke last month and it really caused havoc not knowing what time I was needed till the 11th hour. We have three kids that need to be three different places and not knowing how we were going to get them around till the last minute was annoying. IDK what it's like other places...and once at Duke everything went fast and smoothly.

My dad couldn't manage driving her so even if they assume married people won't have any issues, this could be a wrong assumption, especially with older people.
Very true - my parents would have had the same situation. it's such a weird thing. I get that the times change constantly due to need and priority surgeries but it sure makes it hard to make all of the arrangements and meet their requirements. I don't have anything to compare it to so am not sure how it is elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: