Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you describe the area?
Triangle 56 81.16%
RDU 1 1.45%
Raleigh-Durham 9 13.04%
Other 3 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:26 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's NEVER Raleigh-Durham to me. I have never used that and never will. Raleigh-Durham is not a place. Fuquay-Varina is a place. Winston-Salem is a place. Raleigh and Durham are two places. There is NO such place as Raleigh-Durham and I would VERY strongly urge you to NOT do that.

The Triangle is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (so Raleigh-Durham leaves out CH) and the places encompassed by that large Triangle and around it.

RDU is the airport. Used to be a radio station.

I am okay with Research Triangle although that does make me think of RTP, but if you leave out the "park" part it can work for the whole region.
Yeah I mentioned that RDU would leave out Chapel Hill. Someone else said though that including Chapel Hill would be like including Cary or any other suburb of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I usually say the Research Triangle area or just Triangle. And personally, whether you think of it as one big area probably depends on where you’re from for most people. Like say, from Dallas Fort Worth you’re likely to have no issues going to Durham or Raleigh or Chapel Hill or any place in between. If you’re from someone with one primary town that’s smaller, you’re likely to stick with your own area n

Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yeah I mentioned that RDU would leave out Chapel Hill. Someone else said though that including Chapel Hill would be like including Cary or any other suburb of a city.
This is making me twitch

Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Chapel Hill is not a suburb.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Chapel Hill is not a suburb.

I prefer "Research Triangle" because I think it's pretty descriptive of the area in such few words lol. Triangle is much more generic. Almost no one outside of the Carolinas would know what you meant if you referred to the Triangle. There are too many "tri" areas already. RDU just makes me think of the airport. Raleigh-Durham implies a dynamic that wouldn't be found here.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 12-11-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Apparently it is. Organization I help out with wants to rebrand with one of those options.......it's a 50/50 split so far with 2 of the options.
Take a flight into RDU (the AIRPORT CODE) and as you leave terminal 2; you'll get a "Welcome To______ " greeting over your head. Ignore what the pilot says as you land....he/she most likely doesn't live here.

Spoiler
Pilot usually says "Welcome to Raleigh-Durham".... sign at Terminal 2 reads "Welcome to North Carolina's Research Triangle"

Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Remember your audience. The public in general are pretty inept. It's quite scary. Personally I would advertise as Raleigh-Durham or just "Raleigh". Really no downsides with that.

Most people I know from the MSP area just say "Minni" or "Minneapolis" which is a pretty similar situation to our area.

When you go to (insert airline website) and type in Cary you get no returns. Chapel Hill same thing. The triangle yep nothing. Only Raleigh and Durham work.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I know it's a personal pet peeve, but there's almost nothing I hate more than calling this area "Raleigh-Durham". One, it implies that the cities are much closer together geographically (City hall to city hall is about 25 miles, other hyphenated areas like Minneapolis-St.Paul are about 1/2 that). Two, it implies that they have similar identities, which they don't. And three, it ignores all the other cities and towns that make up "The Triangle".

RDU is almost as bad for most of the same reasons as above, plus it's the airport code which I think is just lame.

If you want to be inclusive, just go with "The Triangle".
I agree with all of this.

"Raleigh-Durham" used as a moniker at all (unless referring to the official name of the airport) makes me cringe.

Triangle. Three points. I've lived in all of them (and several of the parts in-between!).

My employer started with one branch in Raleigh and then gradually grew to include a few more in Wake County suburbs....it was referred to as "Capital Area ________" until merging with Durham and Chapel Hill branches in the 2000s to become "_________ of the Triangle".

This fact coupled with me growing up in Wake and later living in both Durham and Orange counties make me think of the area as "The Triangle" being the most well rounded descriptor.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
"The Triangle" is a local/regional name for "Raleigh". I highly doubt you'd be able to find many people who know where "THE Triangle" is on a map. Raleigh, you might have a fighting chance. I bet most would connect "tri-state area" and point to NYC.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's NEVER Raleigh-Durham to me. I have never used that and never will. Raleigh-Durham is not a place. Fuquay-Varina is a place. Winston-Salem is a place. Raleigh and Durham are two places. There is NO such place as Raleigh-Durham and I would VERY strongly urge you to NOT do that.

The Triangle is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (so Raleigh-Durham leaves out CH) and the places encompassed by that large Triangle and around it.

RDU is the airport and a radio station.

I am okay with Research Triangle although that does make me think of RTP, but if you leave out the "park" part it can work for the whole region.
Raleigh-Durham is an airport.

I really hope nobody ever forces it to be a "thing."

I cannot stand "Midtown" for "North Hills."

Sounds pretentious. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary