Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you describe the area?
Triangle 56 81.16%
RDU 1 1.45%
Raleigh-Durham 9 13.04%
Other 3 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Take a flight into RDU (the AIRPORT CODE) and as you leave terminal 2; you'll get a "Welcome To______ " greeting over your head. Ignore what the pilot says as you land....he/she most likely doesn't live here.

Spoiler
Pilot usually says "Welcome to Raleigh-Durham".... sign at Terminal 2 reads "Welcome to North Carolina's Research Triangle"
Well, the pilot isn't lying. They are landing at Raleigh-Durham airport.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Being born in Durham and a resident of Raleigh, I never really LIKED the "Raleigh-Durham" moniker, but I kind of picked it up and started using it, because it's what people outside and in the area started using. I use "Triangle" or "RTP" too, but usually with folks who live here - I assume many folks outside of the area don't know what these terms mean. I also use "RDU" sometimes. "Research Triangle Park" or "Research Triangle"- I don't use this. Too clunky, stilted, formal and archaic. Non-residents may not know what this means. I don't really hear anybody using this in reference to the area, but for the actual Research Triangle Park.

All of these terms are problematic in one way or another I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Remember your audience. The public in general are pretty inept. It's quite scary. Personally I would advertise as Raleigh-Durham or just "Raleigh". Really no downsides with that.

Most people I know from the MSP area just say "Minni" or "Minneapolis" which is a pretty similar situation to our area.

When you go to (insert airline website) and type in Cary you get no returns. Chapel Hill same thing. The triangle yep nothing. Only Raleigh and Durham work.
It's a website that showcases different things to do around here and local events. So presumably it would be for people who already live here (or are considering moving here but probably way more for the former)

Old 12-11-2017, 10:47 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I cannot stand "Midtown" for "North Hills."

Sounds pretentious. LOL.
I was confused how somebody could just make up a name for a whole side of town that had previously been called something else. I'm also noticing "Midtown Creep". At first "Midtown" was North Hills. Then it started creeping down Six Forks. Now businesses and people almost as far as Six Forks and Strickland are starting to claim "Midtown" and add Midtown to the titles of their businesses.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
If you're talking about people who are from out of town and learning about the area, they don't necessarily know that RDU is the airport and why the Triangle is the Triangle. Since this was me not too long ago, I can relate to how that changed once I learned more about the area. It seems more logical to go with the two largest cities that are like bookends to everything in between. Raleigh-Durham. I don't see anything wrong with it considering so many people spend their lives living or working in between both.

People who don't yet know what a Triangle is or the abbreviation for the airport shouldn't be looked down on. That smacks of local snobbery. People are ignorant until they learn, there's nothing wrong with that. Now if they refuse to learn, and choose to live in their own little bubble, that's a whole different thing altogether.

Now that I've been here a bit, of those choices, the Triangle is a more local representation for me.

Calling this area RDU is like calling New York "LGA" or "JFK". I just don't see it.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Talking to people throughout NC it can be called "the Triangle"

Talking to people out of state, I would call it "the Raleigh area" since Raleigh IS the capitol and people have heard of it

Talking to techies everywhere you can specify RTP

Calling it RDU makes it a flyover/air-connection, not a place to explore or live.

Mention Cary and you must be a realtor since Cary is simply a nice place to live

Old 12-12-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I was confused how somebody could just make up a name for a whole side of town that had previously been called something else. I'm also noticing "Midtown Creep". At first "Midtown" was North Hills. Then it started creeping down Six Forks. Now businesses and people almost as far as Six Forks and Strickland are starting to claim "Midtown" and add Midtown to the titles of their businesses.
I wish I knew the origin. I first heard it on here. Very odd.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
If you're talking about people who are from out of town and learning about the area, they don't necessarily know that RDU is the airport and why the Triangle is the Triangle. Since this was me not too long ago, I can relate to how that changed once I learned more about the area. It seems more logical to go with the two largest cities that are like bookends to everything in between. Raleigh-Durham. I don't see anything wrong with it considering so many people spend their lives living or working in between both.

People who don't yet know what a Triangle is or the abbreviation for the airport shouldn't be looked down on. That smacks of local snobbery. People are ignorant until they learn, there's nothing wrong with that. Now if they refuse to learn, and choose to live in their own little bubble, that's a whole different thing altogether.

Now that I've been here a bit, of those choices, the Triangle is a more local representation for me.

Calling this area RDU is like calling New York "LGA" or "JFK". I just don't see it.
I don't think people mind it when someone they meet who is visiting here calls it RDU or something. It's more when someone moves here and keeps trying to make it a thing.

Naturally, it gets dismissed on this forum, but online forums are like that.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I wish I knew the origin. I first heard it on here. Very odd.
I don’t find it that shocking I recently heard someone calling NC beaches “the shore” it’s just transplanting terms

I think we all agree referring to a place called “the triangle” anywhere in the us can get confusing however if you live here and don’t understand why it’s called the triangle or are confused why Chapel Hill or that there isn’t a coherent region called “Raleigh durham” you need to hit the books

Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I don’t find it that shocking I recently heard someone calling NC beaches “the shore” it’s just transplanting terms

I think we all agree referring to a place called “the triangle” anywhere in the us can get confusing however if you live here and don’t understand why it’s called the triangle or are confused why Chapel Hill or that there isn’t a coherent region called “Raleigh durham” you need to hit the books
Yeah... when I travel, I refer to where I live as "near Raleigh, the capital of NC."

I do this, because so many people have no clue what the capitals are of a good many states. Spread the knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary