Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:33 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for someone to start a thread about how the UPS/USPS delivery person rings the doorbell and wakes them up, the baby up or causes the dogs to bark which then wakes up them and/or the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 03:42 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'm waiting for someone to start a thread about how the UPS/USPS delivery person rings the doorbell and wakes them up, the baby up or causes the dogs to bark which then wakes up them and/or the baby.
I'm waiting for a thread telling how the Jehovah's Witnesses have taken an Amazon delivery contract, and are killing two birds with one stone.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
USPS here puts small packages in my mailbox by the street and raises the flag. Come and get it

Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM

FedEx just delivered.
9:20PM.

Ringing the doorbell would have been ill-advised.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 AM

234 posts, read 162,061 times
I'm working as a driver helper for UPS this year for the Christmas season. We have bags that we put boxes/packages in if they are going to be left outside.

Tips: Request "signature required" and we won't leave packages at doorstep if no one is home. If there is a specific spot you want your package left, you can also request that.....it will show up on our DIADs (scanners) if a customer requests it. Or, people will sometimes leave a note taped to their door to knock, beep, ring door bell, etc.
------------------
Also.....if I'm delivering your package at 9 or 10 at night (after having worked for 10-11 hours already) and you don't have an address on your damn house or it's not lit up. I'm knocking REALLY ****ing Loud if I see all the lights are off inside, and I know you're sleeping, so as to wake your ass up. It's really annoying to have to walk up your long driveway only to find out you are at the wrong address when you are exhausted and just want to get home and go to bed and still have another 60 stops to make and time is of the essence...lol. --IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A PACKAGE, MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS EASY TO SEE!!! THANKS

Old 12-21-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
I'm working as a driver helper for UPS this year for the Christmas season. We have bags that we put boxes/packages in if they are going to be left outside.

Tips: Request "signature required" and we won't leave packages at doorstep if no one is home. If there is a specific spot you want your package left, you can also request that.....it will show up on our DIADs (scanners) if a customer requests it. Or, people will sometimes leave a note taped to their door to knock, beep, ring door bell, etc.
------------------
Also.....if I'm delivering your package at 9 or 10 at night (after having worked for 10-11 hours already) and you don't have an address on your damn house or it's not lit up. I'm knocking REALLY ****ing Loud if I see all the lights are off inside, and I know you're sleeping, so as to wake your ass up. It's really annoying to have to walk up your long driveway only to find out you are at the wrong address when you are exhausted and just want to get home and go to bed and still have another 60 stops to make and time is of the essence...lol. --IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A PACKAGE, MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS EASY TO SEE!!! THANKS

And, a bit of expansion on that last line....
--IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A PACKAGE...
OR,
AN AMBULANCE,
A FIRETRUCK,
THE POLICE,
UBER,
A DELIVERY OF THE BEST PIZZA IN THE TRIANGLE,
A REAL ESTATE AGENT TO SHOW YOUR SHACK,
A PLUMBER,
A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS,
SANTA CLAUS,
A DATE,
ED MCMAHON WITH A BIG CHECK,

...MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS EASY TO SEE!!!

Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's fine. I don't need to have a conversation with them. I just want to know my package is there.
I posted a bonafide free and easy solution to this issue, no one commented on it, and the whining about doorbell ringing continues.

Go to the website of UPS, USPS, FedEx and any other delivery company you get packages from. Start with www.usps.com

1. Create a free account. It's free, it's easy.
2. Turn on the setting that sends you an email and/or txt message when your package arrives and enter your email and/or mobile phone number.
3. Other options can be selected to be notified of package status, any delays during transit, all sent via email and/or txt, your choice.
4. They'll send a confirming message or email.

That's it.

Package is dropped off. Driver updates the info on his device (they all use these devices to track), info is transmitted back to the carrier's system, and within a minute or 2 you get your txt or email, alerting you to the delivery of the package, the time it was left, and where they left it (front porch, etc).

Here's the actual screen shot of the USPS.com site.

Look at the top line towards the right. See that "Informed Delivery" ?

You click there and the magic happens

Last edited by lottamoxie; 12-21-2017 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I posted a bonafide free and easy solution to this issue, no one commented on it, and the whining about doorbell ringing continues.

Go to the website of UPS, USPS, FedEx and any other delivery company you get packages from. Start with www.usps.com

1. Create a free account. It's free, it's easy.
2. Turn on the setting that sends you an email and/or txt message when your package arrives and enter your email and/or mobile phone number.
3. Other options can be selected to be notified of package status, any delays during transit, all sent via email and/or txt, your choice.
4. They'll send a confirming message or email.

That's it.

Package is dropped off. Driver updates the info on his device (they all use these devices to track), info is transmitted back to the carrier's system, and within a minute or 2 you get your txt or email, alerting you to the delivery of the package, the time it was left, and where they left it (front porch, etc).
Delivery notification generally works OK.
But, I have received that notice a couple of hours late more than once. I have collected packages before receiving the notices.
I.e., any nimble thief elves following the trucks can be in and out before I know it, and particularly if I am at the office.

Package yesterday at the edge of the porch, top of three steps.
It would have been easy to grab it without getting on a step.
And, there are large planters on both sides of the steps, where UPS could have placed it behind with just one more step.

As the above poster mentioned, though, these folks are pressed hard for time. Very hard, and particularly this time of year. This is a good time of year to manage our own expectations into the realm or reality.

If I am ordering something of significant expense, I want to pick it up at UPS, FedEx, USPS station, or the closest legitimate store.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:39 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
You usually have options for delivery:

- reroute the package somewhere else or to someone else so it's not left at your house
- instruct the carrier to hold the package for pickup
- deliver the package to one of those strip mall PO box rental places or rental boxes at USPS

If you're not home when a package is delivered and no one else is there, them ringing the doorbell isn't going to be of much use.

This is why using a little security cam, wifi, pointed right at your doorstep and can record automatically and alert you and even ring an alarm, is very helpful. Proof of anyone approaching your house, recorded in high definition.

All else fails:

- hire an armed guard to stand on your porch until you can get home.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You usually have options for delivery:

- reroute the package somewhere else or to someone else so it's not left at your house
- instruct the carrier to hold the package for pickup
- deliver the package to one of those strip mall PO box rental places or rental boxes at USPS

If you're not home when a package is delivered and no one else is there, them ringing the doorbell isn't going to be of much use.

This is why using a little security cam, wifi, pointed right at your doorstep and can record automatically and alert you and even ring an alarm, is very helpful. Proof of anyone approaching your house, recorded in high definition.

All else fails:

- hire an armed guard to stand on your porch until you can get home.

You got to nip it in the bud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRkNv6WgD70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: