Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times

Advertisements

The Rolls Royce and Mitsubishi franchises were sold to Westgate. Leith, Inc. decided to move on-neither was helping the bottom line. Mitsubishi moved in with Westgate's used car operation. Leith will be expanding the old Cheviot Hills campus to include Jaguar/Land Rover, a new facility for Lincoln, and eventually a new Acura location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htj View Post
yep, i found this thread curious as well. Whenever i'd look at bmw's, i'd drool over the RRs as well.

Still interesting if they're going to expand to a standalone dealership. Does that mean they were doing so well they outgrew sharing space with BMW? I don't see many (any?) on the road around here.
As far as I can tell, this is the only Rolls-Royce dealership in NC, so I think they're serving more than just the Raleigh area. I do find it a bit surprising that they are putting a standalone Rolls-Royce dealership in Raleigh instead of Charlotte though. Not that there isn't a good amount of wealth around the Triangle, but I've lived here all my life and can only recall seeing maybe five Ghosts, five Phantoms, one Wraith, and a few older models driving around on the streets, whereas when I'm in Charlotte I see a several Rolls-Royces each month.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:10 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
As far as I can tell, this is the only Rolls-Royce dealership in NC, so I think they're serving more than just the Raleigh area. I do find it a bit surprising that they are putting a standalone Rolls-Royce dealership in Raleigh instead of Charlotte though. Not that there isn't a good amount of wealth around the Triangle, but I've lived here all my life and can only recall seeing maybe five Ghosts, five Phantoms, one Wraith, and a few older models driving around on the streets, whereas when I'm in Charlotte I see a several Rolls-Royces each month.
Idk, makes sense to me. Raleigh has quite a bit of wealth. Studies showed that the North Hills area had a higher concentration of wealth over other premium areas like SouthPark in Charlotte and Buckhead in Atlanta. Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill, Holly Springs are all pretty high dollar areas including the other parts of North Raleigh. Raleighs housing market is more expensive then Charlotte. Plenty of data that backs up why Rolls Royce only NC dealership would be here. I would guess that you might see more in Charlotte because most people that can afford one are likely going to be concentrated in fewer areas like Uptown. But i know ive seen quite a few in just the 4 years ive lived here. Its pretty special when you do see one because of what they are.

Overall though there could be a number of reasons. Maybe its just comes down to location. Raleigh is also closer to coastal millionaires. Who knows really. Greensboro has the states only official Lamborghini dealership. That hardly means Triad has more people that can afford one over the Triangle or Charlotte.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Idk, makes sense to me. Raleigh has quite a bit of wealth. Studies showed that the North Hills area had a higher concentration of wealth over other premium areas like SouthPark in Charlotte and Buckhead in Atlanta. Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill, Holly Springs are all pretty high dollar areas including the other parts of North Raleigh. Raleighs housing market is more expensive then Charlotte. Plenty of data that backs up why Rolls Royce only NC dealership would be here. I would guess that you might see more in Charlotte because most people that can afford one are likely going to be concentrated in fewer areas like Uptown. But i know ive seen quite a few in just the 4 years ive lived here. Its pretty special when you do see one because of what they are.
Dealerships are typically franchised, so if someone in Raleigh wanted to run a Rolls-Royce dealership here, Rolls-Royce couldn't really object to its location, even if most of their car sales go to the Charlotte area. And what studies are you referring to? I've never been to Buckhead, but it dwarfs both the Southpark and North Hills areas, at least in sheer size.

Quote:
Overall though there could be a number of reasons. Maybe its just comes down to location. Raleigh is also closer to coastal millionaires. Who knows really. Greensboro has the states only official Lamborghini dealership. That hardly means Triad has more people that can afford one over the Triangle or Charlotte.
Raleigh is closer to coastal millionaires, but farther from mountain ones. That's why the high end dealerships have traditionally been in the Triad due to its central location to everything. Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, and Porsche all have dealerships in that area, and I'm sure they do sell a fair number of cars to customers in Raleigh. But I sure see a whole lot more high-end cars like that in Charlotte than I do Raleigh, and not just in uptown.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Goodnight taking a stroll around Target aside, there is way........way more $ in Buckhead than North Hills. There may be some twisted “per capita” type of BS stat but per the spirit of the statement about the 2 areas...that’s ridiculous.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I found the Alfa Romeo dealer in Cary. Surprised to see cars with a 4 cylinder engine, ROTFL.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM

164 posts, read 143,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I found the Alfa Romeo dealer in Cary. Surprised to see cars with a 4 cylinder engine, ROTFL.
That's an curious statement (Cars.com) Did you mean for Alfa-Romeo specifically?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeerHeer View Post
That's an curious statement (Cars.com) Did you mean for Alfa-Romeo specifically?
I'm talking about AR cars with a 4 cylinder. You don't find that strange?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Dealerships are typically franchised, so if someone in Raleigh wanted to run a Rolls-Royce dealership here, Rolls-Royce couldn't really object to its location, even if most of their car sales go to the Charlotte area. And what studies are you referring to? I've never been to Buckhead, but it dwarfs both the Southpark and North Hills areas, at least in sheer size.

Raleigh is closer to coastal millionaires, but farther from mountain ones. That's why the high end dealerships have traditionally been in the Triad due to its central location to everything. Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, and Porsche all have dealerships in that area, and I'm sure they do sell a fair number of cars to customers in Raleigh. But I sure see a whole lot more high-end cars like that in Charlotte than I do Raleigh, and not just in uptown.
Well yeah but that same logic applies to Charlotte. If someone wanted to open one there, they probably could. But they haven’t. That doesn’t mean that the demographics are necessarily more favorable in Raleigh then in Charlotte but it does mean that Raleigh’s(triangles) demographics in itself are perfectly suitable for such a dealership. A lot of the most expensive zip codes in N.C. are in the Triangle. If a large majority of Rolls Royce sales were out of Charlotte then likely the a dealership would be there. My guess is that buyers from Charlotte probably get them from both Atlanta and Raleigh. The dealerships themselves are pretty spread out so the need for one also in Charlotte probably just isn’t there. Might be true of the other super high end brands as well. People with money like that are just having those cars delivered anyways so not every city needs to have them.

Here’s the case study Kane had done before even attempting North Hills as we know it today. https://casestudies.uli.org/north-hills/

“Trade area of North Hills had higher incomes and education levels then that of other premier retail retail areas such as Atlanta’s Buckhead and Charlotte’s Southpark.”

Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm talking about AR cars with a 4 cylinder. You don't find that strange?
I didn't think it would be strange especially these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary