Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:06 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
And you too would have had a "free freeway" if you had just been willing to wait for it, like North Raleigh waited 30 years for 540 and the south side of Charlotte waited 30 years for 485. But you wouldn't wait, so your legislators cut a deal to get a freeway built 15 years sooner than it would have been. It came with a price tag, though. And besides, you got a free four-laned NC 55 in the process. No sympathy from North Raleigh.
540 will eventually be tolled to control the amount of cars using it - just look at other states and what they are doing with their over capacity highways.

Virginia has a toll road going from NoVa to DC (I-66) that is free for HOV's (2+) but if you are a single driver you have to pay a variable toll (only in the direction that rush hour traffic is headed in, inbound in the AM and outbound in the PM) that changes based on how many other cars are utilizing the road at the same time - the more congested it is, the higher the price is to discourage more people from getting on the road (it was in the news because it went up to as high as $44 last week). Strategies such as this will be implemented to encourage people to carpool and to spread out their commutes so that not everyone is trying to get on the road at the same time. The proceeds from the tolls are going towards new express buses along the highway and other transit projects in that area.

So tolls aren't always about paying for projects faster, I suspect in the future they'll be used for managing congestion as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
And you too would have had a "free freeway" if you had just been willing to wait for it, like North Raleigh waited 30 years for 540 and the south side of Charlotte waited 30 years for 485. But you wouldn't wait, so your legislators cut a deal to get a freeway built 15 years sooner than it would have been. It came with a price tag, though. And besides, you got a free four-laned NC 55 in the process. No sympathy from North Raleigh.
What you're saying may be true, but I'd hardly consider NC-55 a consolation prize.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
540 will eventually be tolled to control the amount of cars using it - just look at other states and what they are doing with their over capacity highways.
I don't think so. I don't have a crystal ball, but tolling existing roads is not as easy in NC as it is in some states.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:59 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I don't think so. I don't have a crystal ball, but tolling existing roads is not as easy in NC as it is in some states.
Maybe not the existing lanes as is, but whenever 540 gets a new lane added to it, that lane will be tolled.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Maybe not the existing lanes as is, but whenever 540 gets a new lane added to it, that lane will be tolled.
Maybe. Maybe it will be an HOV lane. Maybe it will take long enough so that it is neither. But in all those scenarios there will be non-tolled options for those who don't mind spending an extra 5 minutes in traffic.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's a map floating around on the NCDOT website somewhere that shows HOT/HOV lanes on the northern part of 540 in a decade or so. The entire thing won't be tolled but any additional lanes most likely will.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Quote:
I remembered when they called me and asked me if I was willing to wait. Also I told them to name my free four-laned NC 55 Awesome Avenue and they messed that up too.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:58 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
I’m going to have to disagree a little bit with this. The road was on the map, tying up people’s land for over 20 years. This was during the previous “equity” formula days that had this area and Charlotte sending all their Highway money for pet projects down east and they were of course robbing the highway trust fund as well to pay for the general fund stuff. Had things been managed properly, they could have built it. Instead they created a somewhat artificial problem and then rammed the toll road bill through practically in the dead of night. Oh yeah, and also stole $60 million in tax money built road from 54 to 55 at the same time.

So, it definitely accelerated the road from what they claimed was possible, but I beleive if they had applied the formulas in use now and were not siphoning money it would not have been nearly as far away as they claimed. Also, it would have been built as 4 lanes and would have not had all the toll infrastructure and some of the extravagances of the current toll road, such as the decorative concrete standards for signs (which I personally think look worse than just using metal) the fancy bridges, etc, so it would have cost less as well. Though it probably would have reasonable radius off ramps instead of what we got but hey, what can you do?

Now, no disagreement the N raleigh sections were also delayed long after it should have been too. The cities really got shafted in the 70s to 90s on road money while legislators and their friends got nice highways to land in the middle of nowhere which made it worth much more money.

This small increase doesn’t bother me and was expected. It does suck some because I have to track my mileage and expenses for business, use the road a fair amount and had just gotten most of the segments memorized. Now I have to relearn it!

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 12-20-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Love the toll road. Use it almost every day.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Me every time I drive on the new section of 540:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxr9U6dG3Bg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary