Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM

18,084 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Obi device is $50 and hooks in seamlessly with Google Voice which is free. My seven year old box died last month and I bought the newer updated one, it was a couple clicks and up and running. The new one is a lot more streamlined.

FYI
Ditto here. I had to purchase a newer Obi device in December. Been on Google Voice integrated through Obihai for 7 years now, was on Google Voice when they were GrandCentral, years before Google purchased them.

I use Google Voice for my home 'landline' phones and on my cell phone as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 AM

379 posts, read 749,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
I'm about to try their router
Testing with wired gigabit ethernet, their router blows away my (at the time $179) 1900 ac Asus router.

Linux machine plugged directly into modem:

Same machine, wired via Asus RT-ac66u:

Same machine, wired via Askey Spectrum:

It seems like a nice router, too. The software is eerily familiar to Merlin, which I run on my Asus.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 19,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
Have to call in to get promo pricing (if existing customer), or can get via website?
Hey, I'm not sure if someone has already told you about this, but I'd thought I'd share. You'll get the new speeds, but your price won't change. However, If you want to get the promo price you can call them and tell them you're wanting to cancel within the next week. They'll send you to the cancellation department which there you can tell them how much you enjoy their service, but you found out you neighbor is only paying *promo price* and you want that price as well. They'll give it to you.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1175 View Post
Hey, I'm not sure if someone has already told you about this, but I'd thought I'd share. You'll get the new speeds, but your price won't change. However, If you want to get the promo price you can call them and tell them you're wanting to cancel within the next week. They'll send you to the cancellation department which there you can tell them how much you enjoy their service, but you found out you neighbor is only paying *promo price* and you want that price as well. They'll give it to you.

I heard Spectrum won't negotiate and will allow an existing customer to cancel rather than lower the price... true or not true?

What is this magical "promo price" you hint at?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Okay, I just called Spectrum. Asked to speak with the "cancellation dept."

They said I'm already on a "promo rate" after coming off the TWC promo rate last year. They said my bill will go up $10 in April this year. I'm on 50mbps and if I want to increase to 100mbps I'll have to pay $54.95. Either way my bill is going to increase in April, according to the rep.

I talked about cancelling my account altogether and while I don't want to do that because I enjoy the service, I want the "promo rate" my neighbors are getting. NO DICE. She said my $45/month 50mbps is already a "promo rate."

Her offer was this: you can upgrade to 100 mbps for $54.95 now or even go ahead and pay the full retail price of $64.95. She also said, "basically your service will increase by $10 every year, that's just the way it is."

Huh?

I said, "no thank you, I'm not going to make any changes that will affect my current price and I'll look into other providers and do a cancellation in April."

And that was that. Spectrum would not deal and didn't care if I was going to cancel and isn't going to lock in my existing price either.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I got stopped in a store while shopping, by a Spectrum rep there. I told him I am not on any contract, just the $45 price after coming off a 1 year promo for standard Internet (no bundle), and I'm getting 50mbps. He told me I could get 200mpbs with *no* change in price at all, no contract needed, and I should just call Spectrum.

I didn't believe him and didn't call Spectrum, not wanting to upset the cart and have my pricing suddenly go up. I don't trust Spectrum and while 50mbps isn't that fast, it's fine for me. I have my own modem (SB6121) which is DOCIS 3.0., not the faster model SB6141.
I wouldn't do it. I'd place money down that it would be a promo price and it would expire after a year, and you'd be paying what others here are paying (roughly $65/month).

What they've done with my Earthlink plan is upgrade speeds for free. I'm at at the same 50 mbps service, but previously had 25.

The biggest impediment to WiFi speeds I've found is my router. I bought a fancy two in one router modem a few years ago after rocking an Motorola SB modem from, I kid you not, 2003.

I had a number at GrandCentral too.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM

So, it appears my choices are:

- cancel my service with Spectrum in April altogether (I only subscribe to Internet), wait however much time it takes to be considered a new customer and sign up later.

- cancel my service with Spectrum and sign up with AT&T on a 1 yr contract (or whoever else serves Cary).

- ? other options?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Okay, I just called Spectrum. Asked to speak with the "cancellation dept."

They said I'm already on a "promo rate" after coming off the TWC promo rate last year. They said my bill will go up $10 in April this year. I'm on 50mbps and if I want to increase to 100mbps I'll have to pay $54.95. Either way my bill is going to increase in April, according to the rep.

I talked about cancelling my account altogether and while I don't want to do that because I enjoy the service, I want the "promo rate" my neighbors are getting. NO DICE. She said my $45/month 50mbps is already a "promo rate."

Her offer was this: you can upgrade to 100 mbps for $54.95 now or even go ahead and pay the full retail price of $64.95. She also said, "basically your service will increase by $10 every year, that's just the way it is."

Huh?

I said, "no thank you, I'm not going to make any changes that will affect my current price and I'll look into other providers and do a cancellation in April."

And that was that. Spectrum would not deal and didn't care if I was going to cancel and isn't going to lock in my existing price either.
They just call your bluff. Who else will you go with? ATT has similar terms and a two year contract. This duopoly crap has got to go. Even EarthLink, while still honoring my current price, isn't a deal anymore from what I can tell for new people.

It's really crappy because 95% of the population really just needs a cheap 25/1 internet plan that handles everything you could ever throw at it. Would be nice at $25/month.

Sadly the price they are quoting you is what we used to pay for internet + TV!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM

I'm S.O.L. as there's no other game in town besides Spectrum & AT&T and they know it.

Earthlink is Spectrum, well same service, using same connections. Earthlink has a 75mbps speed for a 12 month promo rate of $40/mo but they require an installation that costs $70 and their terms say you can't use your own router for wifi, have to use theirs for an additional cost of $6.95/month.

I don't know where people are coming up with this fantasy that Spectrum will make a deal for existing Internet-only customers. I've talked to them once before and they refused then too (after the TWC take over). They have customers over a barrel and they know it. Google Fiber is never going to roll out in my 'hood and I wouldn't pay their prices anyway.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM

119 posts, read 90,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Then he came back inside, re-unplugged the same old coax from my old cable modem to his new one, said "Yup, 1.1 gig down, all good" and swapped them out.
Thanks. That's fascinating, since my other options are Google Fiber, which requires installation of a "fiber jack," or AT&T Fiber, which requires new cabling (Cat5, I believe). Both are already in the ground, so the only remaining steps are in-home installs.

If the Spectrum install is a simple modem swap, +/- a router upgrade, that's a significant advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary