Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:00 AM

68 posts, read 77,840 times

Advertisements

That is the reason why I am looking into Raleigh to have kids and have a family one day, once everything is settled. Land a nice job, find a nice place to live and eventually buy a home.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG718 View Post
That is the reason why I am looking into Raleigh to have kids and have a family one day, once everything is settled. Land a nice job, find a nice place to live and eventually buy a home.
This makes perfect sense. Have you visited? You should.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Nice as long as your not blue collar

Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The personal experiences of random strangers on a message board will have ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on whether or not you will be happy here. Everyone's needs, desires, and expectations are different.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 AM

264 posts, read 238,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From66to40 View Post
I moved from the DC-area and miss it terribly. I would consider staying there, if I were you.
I'm thinking about actually leaving DC and transitioning back to NYC on a full-time basis. --Currently, I'm renting in DC and own property in NYC and live there as well.

I have distant relatives in Raleigh and initially liked the idea of reconnecting with my family's "Southern Roots," but now I'm thinking about everything that I will miss. Even though I will be traveling back and forth to NY, there's nothing like living in NY. I will however miss residing in the DC area, if I make the move back to NY.

Of course, in addition to not going through with closing, I'll need to cancel the lease agreement with family in NYC, if I decide to move back to NY full time. I really feel bad, because rents are so high in NYC, and they will be left (at the last moment) to find another property to rent.

I feel so bad about arriving at this decision last minute... but what's done is done, I can't change anything.

I will lose my deposit, and the money that I paid out for the home inspection and appraisal in Raleigh, but it will merely be sunk costs, so I can live with it...

Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
If you're already having doubts, don't come here. Please *do* come here if you like driving everywhere. You have to drive because there are different things in each city that you might want to see and do. Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill. Everything is pretty spread out. I came here from the SF area (peninsula) and do miss it some. I miss Chicago more but I haven't been back there in a long time.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I think you will really miss Brooklyn, unless you keep your apartment/home in Brooklyn. If you are thinking about relocating for good, savor every moment and do not get ahead of yourself by thinking too much about your future in Raleigh.

NYC is such a beautiful and unique gem. Yes, there are some quality of life issues, but I love NY and I'm so happy that I own property in a wonderful area.

One word of caution is Raleigh real estate (in the better areas, i.e. downtown and midtown) are not exactly cheap. I did get a good deal, but still it's not exactly peanuts to live in the better areas of Raleigh.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
If you're already having doubts, don't come here. Please *do* come here if you like driving everywhere. You have to drive because there are different things in each city that you might want to see and do. Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill. Everything is pretty spread out. I came here from the SF area (peninsula) and do miss it some. I miss Chicago more but I haven't been back there in a long time.
I was looking at real estate in Chicago and wondering.. why haven't I considered Chicago! It's such a wonderful city. Of course I'll need to revisit the area before making any decisions, but based on my zillow and redfin searches, Chicago has some wonderful properties. My only trepidation about Chicago is the harsh winters. I don't like the cold.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM

68 posts, read 77,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
I think you will really miss Brooklyn, unless you keep your apartment/home in Brooklyn. If you are thinking about relocating for good, savor every moment and do not get ahead of yourself by thinking too much about your future in Raleigh.

NYC is such a beautiful and unique gem. Yes, there are some quality of life issues, but I love NY and I'm so happy that I own property in a wonderful area.

One word of caution is Raleigh real estate (in the better areas, i.e. downtown and midtown) are not exactly cheap. I did get a good deal, but still it's not exactly peanuts to live in the better areas of Raleigh.
As of now, I rent in Brooklyn, NY and the prices for what the offer you is robbery. If i owned something in NY I would be in a different position, I suppose. With the way the are building in the metro area, unless you are a millionaire you can't touch anything, in my opinion. The apartment rentals I have seen on truila and zillow in the northeaster Raleigh area, cary and apex are beautiful! Also the money rent is so reasonable for all that you are getting. But what do I know? I haven't even been there yet but I surely do look forward to it!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
I was looking at real estate in Chicago and wondering.. why haven't I considered Chicago! It's such a wonderful city. Of course I'll need to revisit the area before making any decisions, but based on my zillow and redfin searches, Chicago has some wonderful properties. My only trepidation about Chicago is the harsh winters. I don't like the cold.
Chicago is really, really cold. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary