Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times

Advertisements

Thought you guys might like to see some photos of where I've been walking and hiking in the area. I've covered a lot of miles in the few months I've been here.

I have a lot of pics but I'll post a few at a time...

Lake Johnson, Raleigh

Yates Mill, Raleigh

Sycamore Trail, Umstead State Park, Raleigh

Sal's Branch Trail, Umstead State Park, Raleigh

The Company Mill and what's left of it, Umstead State Park, Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 12:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Great pics - thanks

Old 12-24-2017, 02:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Beautiful photos!

Old 12-24-2017, 02:17 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
So pretty - thanks for these!

Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 AM

209 posts, read 219,944 times
Is it safe to walk those trails alone? Just asking, because I'd love to walk those trails on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:56 PM

6,651 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Is it safe to walk those trails alone? Just asking, because I'd love to walk those trails on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
Yes. (speaking as a single male)

Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Very, very nice.

Yates Mill could keep you and your camera busy for days.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
It never occurred to me that they wouldn't be

I walk them on weekdays and never felt unsafe (I'm female). Some of the parks are more popular than others, Umstead Company Mill from the parking lot to the creek is very high trafficked. There are some other parks I've been to where I've seen no one, or one other person in the span of 2 to 3 hours though.

There are some parks that have very little or no cell reception too. But I'd think that on a weekend, you're going to have a lot of company for most parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Very, very nice.

Yates Mill could keep you and your camera busy for days.
The first time I went there I saw the largest concentration of hummingbirds I've ever seen in my life. It was magical. But I find Umstead trails more interesting and complex, I never spend less than 2 to 3 hours there when I go.

Last edited by greenie72; 12-26-2017 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:54 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
It never occurred to me that they wouldn't be

I walk them on weekdays and never felt unsafe (I'm female). Some of the parks are more popular than others, Umstead Company Mill from the parking lot to the creek is very high trafficked. There are some other parks I've been to where I've seen no one, or one other person in the span of 2 to 3 hours though.

There are some parks that have very little or no cell reception too. But I'd think that on a weekend, you're going to have a lot of company for most parks.

The first time I went there I saw the largest concentration of hummingbirds I've ever seen in my life. It was magical. But I find Umstead trails more interesting and complex, I never spend less than 2 to 3 hours there when I go.
Indeed. No safety issues on any of the trails I can think of (from the perspective of a late 20s male).

Company Mill at Umstead is one where you definitely wont get to be "alone"....especially Saturday and Sunday; it's probably by far the highest traffic area in the park and lots of families with small kids (ie...large groups that move a little slower)

The Loblolly trail, which has it's entry point on the other side of that same Reedy Creek parking lot , is generally less busy. It does get a little more intense with steeper inclines and a creek that you have to cross via some stepping stones (no bridge) but it is my personal favorite for a quieter less-busy hike.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Indeed. No safety issues on any of the trails I can think of (from the perspective of a late 20s male).

Company Mill at Umstead is one where you definitely wont get to be "alone"....especially Saturday and Sunday; it's probably by far the highest traffic area in the park and lots of families with small kids (ie...large groups that move a little slower)

The Loblolly trail, which has it's entry point on the other side of that same Reedy Creek parking lot , is generally less busy. It does get a little more intense with steeper inclines and a creek that you have to cross via some stepping stones (no bridge) but it is my personal favorite for a quieter less-busy hike.
During the summer, I went on a Saturday mid morning once and got the last parking spot in the Reedy Creek lot. I was so surprised, I didn't know it got that busy. But since there's hikers, joggers and bicycle riders all leaving from that one lot, I know now to be prepared and arrive earlier. Or go to the other entrance.

When you do Loblolly, do you reach the end and turn around and come back? I was thinking about doing the trail and instead of turning around, heading up the Reedy Creek Lake Trail. But I find the MUT trails a bit boring. I prefer the solitude of less popular trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary