Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times

Advertisements

I should have left the outside spigots drip overnight...frozen again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM

333 posts, read 287,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My faucets were covered on the outside, but the lines in the wall froze anyway. I suspect some problem with the insulation Until I figure it out, I might let the faucets drip outside when temps and wind chills get in the teens.
After reading these comments I went around and checked the outside faucets. Two, that had covers, were just fine. On the other, the cover had fallen off (it was on four days ago), and when I opened it, nothing; but after about 30 seconds some dripping. Two minutes later it was gushing.

This faucet is on the far side of the house from the water intake, and on the north as well; inside the wall it's on is a utility room. I put an oil-filled radiator near that wall last night for a couple of hours, and this morning, for a bit, when I got up, and the wall feels appreciably warmer. The faucet is working now.

I think I'll need to keep up this routine until the cold breaks on Monday: increase nighttime temperature to 67 degrees; close doors to sun room, and my study, which don't have water supply; set dishwasher to run at 3 AM; drip kitchen faucet as well; heat wall next to exterior faucet with propensity to freeze.

And, you know you are used to the frigid cold when 30 degrees feels balmy!

Last edited by marialidia; 01-05-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 03:48 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Does dripping outside faucets actually work? Seems risky, but that device from amazon seems good.

We are still dripping faucets days in a row now and still continuing - forecast is 11 degrees tonite and 9 degrees tomorrow night. Again, this is for a tankless water heater installed in a carriage garage, and pipes run along the garage wall which were frozen in Jan 2017 storm (we woke up to only cold water and no water coming when hot faucet knob turned on).

Hearing lots of people at work where their pipes are frozen - it’s hard to thaw anything because the daytime high doesn’t even get above freezing. Only have to rely on the sun and space heaters.

Can’t wait til Tuesday!

Old 01-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Does dripping outside faucets actually work? Seems risky, but that device from amazon seems good.
The reviews do make it tempting to order two of them.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
well the drain hose for my washing machine must have frozen up because when I went to do laundry today I got a nice little waterfall in my laundry room till the blockage blew out.

I'll be sure to do a hot water wash tonight.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 AM

6,821 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
well the drain hose for my washing machine must have frozen up because when I went to do laundry today I got a nice little waterfall in my laundry room till the blockage blew out.

I'll be sure to do a hot water wash tonight.
So you had water all over your floor then? Where is your laundry room located? Inside room, outside wall etc? My room backs up to the garage.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So you had water all over your floor then? Where is your laundry room located? Inside room, outside wall etc? My room backs up to the garage.
It's over the garage, and is on a south facing outside wall. Never even occurred to me to worry about this scenario, but I would say maybe a gallon of water escaped, however, the thing with water is it goes where it wants to go....everytime we have an issue with water I'm reminded what a nuisance it is when it does go where it's not supposed to! Easy enough to clean up, as it did not escape the laundry room (which is really a glorified closet) except some is under the dryer, have a fan running on that now (although I think I got most of it).

Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 AM

6,821 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I have never tried moving my washer and dryer to clean underneath. Not sure how heavy they are.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:00 AM

When I was little we didn't have to worry about freezing pipes and such. We didn't have indoor plumbing until I was about 5

Old 01-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have never tried moving my washer and dryer to clean underneath. Not sure how heavy they are.
They are heavy and there's not a lot of places to move them, especially the dryer which is a gas hookup and has the vent thing on the back which doesn't have a lot of slack to begin with. My husband has a knack for not being home when the crap hits the fan too LOL.
Most of the water flowed to the side and front of the laundry room so I think I got almost all of it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: