Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryResident453 View Post
Your Welcome?...
Seriously, it is well-known that regarding Northerners' manners vs. Southerners' manners, Northerners are very comfortable with much more brusque and direct dialogue.
It can be difficult for either to assimilate easily into the other region due to the different regional perceptions of good manners.

From that perspective, what you said was really pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well now...
Cartoons? Ain't that what grandparents are for, stuff like that?
If I had continued to eat cookies and drink sody pop at the pace my grandfather gleefully fed them to me, I'd be big as a bus.........
Had to share this, that I posted just now on the Real estate forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The guy who cuts my hair is originally from Lebanon.

He spoke no English when he came.
Got his license to do hair, and was very concerned.
His family told him, "Watch cartoons."
He did. The Lion King, with the nieces and nephews.

Scar tells the Hyenas, "Stick with me, and you will never be hungry again."
He absorbed that.

His first client was very pleased with his work.
He said, "Stick with me, and you will never be ugly again."
And dang near got killed.... LOL

I told this to my wife and dang near had to Heimlich her....

Language matters. Greatly.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:39 PM

25 posts, read 27,081 times
Quote:
Before anyone starts with the RACIST comments, I my self am Indian (Born and raised in Michigan) and I recently moved to Cary. I went to go check out Morrisville and I noticed the high concentration of people with and Indian background that are from India. I know this is because of RTP and the high number of IT jobs. I checked out a neighborhood that was recently built and most of the residents were Indian. But what I found weird was that one of the white neighbors said and waved hello to his Indian neighbor, and the dude just ignored him and walked away. I just thought it was very rude, and it made me worried about the attitude towards Indians here. And please, for the love of God, don't start a fight in this thread.

Thank in advanced!
from my experience with my indian friends, it must be either a case of a new guy coming in or just a relative of someone who is not 'used' to or 'aware of' the openness that is typical of the local residents here. Its Christmas time and there are chances that someone has visited either for the first time here or just not reciprocating enough because of the cultural differences. Many of my friends were 'shy' at first and then learnt the typical interactions amongst the locals here.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
Quote:
When did I say I was generalizing?
Huh? Are these not your words?

Quote:
...waved hello to his Indian neighbor, and the dude just ignored him and walked away. I just thought it was very rude, and it made me worried about the attitude towards Indians here.
One odd encounter with an Indian person and now you're worried about all Indians. Is this not a generalization?

You haven't answered my question though: what exactly is your concern? I continue to be confused, sorry.

I can assure you though that most normal people don't just look at one person and think that all Indians / Americans / whatever are just like this one person. That would be generalization and one usually does not declare that explicitly.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM

236 posts, read 555,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
The Indian community is also growing in Apex. My neighborhood is approximately 1/3 Indian and I would say they are just like our other, non-Indian neighbors in that some are very nice and will go out of their way to wave, say hello, or stop and chat if walking by....others will never turn your way. They do seem to have a tight network and will usually only socialize within their nationality/culture but I do understand it is probably hard living in a country very different than your own.

The two neighbors next to us are Indian and our interactions have been very different. One family has been in the U.S. a lot longer than the other. They waived and said Hi, etc. pretty much since day one. The wife works and wears western clothing. The husband would wave or say Hi to me (a woman) even if my husband wasn't around.

The family on the other side has only been in the U.S. for a couple years, I think. The husband was very nice to my husband when we first moved in but wouldn't even look at me. I was nice and would say Hello or wave when I saw him and he would ignore me. The man seems to have acclimated and has gotten used to me saying hello so he will now respond and talk to me even if my husband is not outside with me. The neighbor's wife is much more traditional in dress and behavior and doesn't work. She spoke to me once, and I think only a few words, so she may be shy in addition to not being used to our culture. If my husband sees her outside with the kids and waves or says hello she still ignores him and will usually turn around and walk away even though her oldest son will run over and start talking to my husband. My husband has worked with several Indian women over the years so he was really confused and thought he had done something to make her mad but then I explained her behavior is much more traditional to their culture at home.

You will find people who do not like foreigners living and working in the U.S. but I would say that is pretty rare in this area, or at least rare that they would voice their opinion out loud.

Edit: I just re-read the examples of my neighbors and had to add after thinking about it...they aren't much different than the women I encountered when traveling to India for work several years ago. Some dressed very traditionally, were soft-spoken, and would not interact with my male co-worker. Other women wore western clothing and were very outgoing and had no problem talking to my co-worker. The same for the men; some would shake my hand and talk to me (a woman) while others kept their distance. If I really thought about it I could probably think of similar examples of people I've interacted with in other countries. Maybe it just boils down to some people don't want to interact with people they don't know. oh well!
^This is very similar to what I experience. We live in a small neighborhood in Morrisville that is about 80-90% Indian. I notice when I out walking with my husband most of the men only acknowledge him and ignore me. The Indian women usually hang out together and I have never seen them associate with other racial groups. I'm a little concerned because we have a young son and I don't want him to feel excluded once he starts school and wanting to play with other kids in the neighborhood. The interactions here are completely different than the neighborhood we came from in Durham!!

Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
A friend moved to a predominantly-Indian neighborhood in Morrisville. She says while the neighborhood children would talk to her daughter in school, they wouldn't play with her or speak to her at home in the neighborhood when their parents were present. No invitations to sleepovers, birthday parties, pool parties, anything like that. This is the only person I've heard say anything, and I really don't know first-hand about the population of recently-arrived Indians.

The Indians I know are along the lines of what JQ Public described in his previous response. They are folks I went to school with whose parents arrived in the 70s/80s, and assimilated quickly. They are cool, friendly, fun, open-minded people.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:35 PM

27 posts, read 65,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
^This is very similar to what I experience. We live in a small neighborhood in Morrisville that is about 80-90% Indian. I notice when I out walking with my husband most of the men only acknowledge him and ignore me. The Indian women usually hang out together and I have never seen them associate with other racial groups. I'm a little concerned because we have a young son and I don't want him to feel excluded once he starts school and wanting to play with other kids in the neighborhood. The interactions here are completely different than the neighborhood we came from in Durham!!
I don’t think your son will have a problem. Coming from an Indian family, I know that the second generation Indians are very different from their parents when it comes to social interactions with different kinds of people.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:56 PM

27 posts, read 65,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Huh? Are these not your words?

One odd encounter with an Indian person and now you're worried about all Indians. Is this not a generalization?

You haven't answered my question though: what exactly is your concern? I continue to be confused, sorry.

I can assure you though that most normal people don't just look at one person and think that all Indians / Americans / whatever are just like this one person. That would be generalization and one usually does not declare that explicitly.
Fine, maybe I’m generalizing a little bit. But there’s more I should add. I probably should have put this in my original post too. Went to the Taco Bell in Morrisville with my younger cousin, was in the middle of ordering, and this Indian guy came out of no where, interrupted me and cut in front of 5 other people and started ordering. I said excuse me, he didn’t respond and kept ordering. What got me agitated was one, this guy wanted patatos in his Taco🤢. Two, the lady at the cashier did nothing about it. After he finished I told him that he interrupted me and there were already people waiting. The idiot looked at me like I was speaking none sense and took out his phone. Didn’t even apologize. And yes, I know that everyone will cut someone in line by mistake, but normal people would at least apologize.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:35 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Fine, maybe I’m generalizing a little bit. But there’s more I should add. I probably should have put this in my original post too. Went to the Taco Bell in Morrisville with my younger cousin, was in the middle of ordering, and this Indian guy came out of no where, interrupted me and cut in front of 5 other people and started ordering. I said excuse me, he didn’t respond and kept ordering. What got me agitated was one, this guy wanted patatos in his Taco��. Two, the lady at the cashier did nothing about it. After he finished I told him that he interrupted me and there were already people waiting. The idiot looked at me like I was speaking none sense and took out his phone. Didn’t even apologize. And yes, I know that everyone will cut someone in line by mistake, but normal people would at least apologize.
Rudeness occurs with every ethnicity, race, religion, sexual preferences, etc.

What's the problem with potatoes in a taco? They are a frequent ingredient in burritos which are essentially a larger taco in a different 'shell'. That you were "agitated" says volumes about YOUR acceptance of others.

"Normal people"??? I don't even believe you said that. You're calling every Indian abnormal????. AND you claim to be Indian? I call bull ****.

I wasn't put off by your OP, nor did I think you are a troll. My opinion has changed. Go away.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:04 AM

Did someone say "potatoes?"
Taters!!!!!

Tater controversy trails only Pizza, Cheesesteak, and Cue in CD Triangle Chuck Wagon Lore!
The Great Diner Tater Death Match of 2013(?) was a Day of Infamy even though the CD/Moderation/NSA/Tri-Lateral Commission/Illuminati denies its existence and keeps it buried it in Area 51.

Why would Taco Bell deign to put Taters in tacos when even our Faux Jersey Diners don't provide buckets of spuds with their crummy meatloaf?
It is time to demand answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary