Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Toxicity is that high?

Meh...
Mike, you of all people should know that different consumers have different tolerances to smells. And, I've heard from more than one person that strong cooking smells can really set into a place.

Its one thing if you fry fish now and again, another if you run a fryer five nights a week...I'm sure Curry is no different...different cooking habits, different cleaning habits, can cause a house to smell different.

I'm sure some would be resistant to buying a house where the previous owner smoked cigars in his garage every night, other people would be fine as long as there aren't nicotine stains on the walls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Mike, you of all people should know that different consumers have different tolerances to smells. And, I've heard from more than one person that strong cooking smells can really set into a place.

Its one thing if you fry fish now and again, another if you run a fryer five nights a week...I'm sure Curry is no different...different cooking habits, different cleaning habits, can cause a house to smell different.

I'm sure some would be resistant to buying a house where the previous owner smoked cigars in his garage every night, other people would be fine as long as there aren't nicotine stains on the walls...
Oh, I am aware.
I just stated from personal preferences, for sure. I recognize the preferences are subjective.

But, to compare the aroma of curry, which is really a common spice used in healthy cooking, as equivalent to cigarette smoke?
"Meh."
I've had people walk completely through a house and decide they wouldn't like enough to overcome the curry smell.
I haven't have them open the front door and swivel on a heel to leave because of curry. I HAVE had them do so many times because of cigarette smoke smell.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:31 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I haven't have them open the front door and swivel on a heel to leave because of curry. I HAVE had them do so many times because of cigarette smoke smell.
I'm one of those who would leave immediately at the smell of cigarettes. Can't stand the smell at all, and trying to rid a home of the smell just isn't worth the effort. I haven't been in a home with a strong enough curry smell to make me want to leave, but maybe I haven't visited the "right" house.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:46 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I have no issue with curry, I like it and eat it. I wouldn't cook with it frequently in my house though, because it lingers. Other foods linger too, but are usually gone in a few days. I don't know of any other cooking scent that actually embeds itself so heavily into floors and walls, but I could be wrong.

And for the record, I deep fried something yesterday and I'm sitting here basking in the scent of oil. It'll be gone in a day or two though.

I'm not so sure, I disagree. Have been in plenty of family houses where fish is cooked (pan fried or fried) more than half the week and the smell is not going away. A large portion of my Greek family is actually married to Indians who also cook and the smell problem is the same issue. Personally, would rather eat curry chicken or lamb than this smelly fish.

I refuse to cook fish more than 2 days per week in the house because the smell just doesn't go away. My family members houses have gone on vacation for 2 weeks and we all come back and their house still smells like fish. Absolutely disgusting! Lots of apartments in the area with fish cooking and the smell lingers.

What we really need is a true outside vent over the stove and not that cheap over the microwave vent that just puts the air back inside the house. Also, it is recommended that everyone open their windows every few days for fresh air, even in the winter.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
This topic makes me want some indian food with some good naan bread and i tend to stay away from it but we've been talking about it for days

Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 AM

205 posts, read 182,640 times
Quote:
What we really need is a true outside vent over the stove and not that cheap over the microwave vent that just puts the air back inside the house. Also, it is recommended that everyone open their windows every few days for fresh air, even in the winter.
Seriously, this. Why dont more homes have this feature? Never understood the dumb fan above the stove that just blows right back into the house. When looking for my next house I will absolutely rank homes with a true venting system over others.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
This topic makes me want some indian food with some good naan bread and i tend to stay away from it but we've been talking about it for days
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really want Indian food.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
Seriously, this. Why dont more homes have this feature? Never understood the dumb fan above the stove that just blows right back into the house. When looking for my next house I will absolutely rank homes with a true venting system over others.
Ours vents to the outside. I would not buy a house that didn't vent to the outside or that could not be vented easily to the outside. We can cook something with a strong smell (like fish) and smell it the next morning, but it goes away after that. And, I have a really sensitive nose.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really want Indian food.
ME TOO and I am getting it momentarily!

Popping in to hype Zinsser BIN 1-2-3 primer - it's shellac and used to cover smoke smells. I moved into a cheap rental house in Wilmington for a year that smelled so shockingly bad that the cable guy could not believe I was taking the house. Previous tenants smoked inside and it hit you about 10 feet from walking through the door.

I probably did some damage before I finished using that primer, but it sealed everything in - would surely work for cooking smells too.

The smell of Indian cooking, even old and from the pantry, never bothered me personally. Have dealt with it in apartments before. Just makes me want an invite to dinner if it's a neighbor, or go get takeout of it's from another time.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
Main reason is that accumulated grease in a real vent will need periodic cleaning to prevent fires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary