Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:36 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times

Advertisements

Lead Mine Rd - yes, there was an old mine

here's some interesting reading for you

If Raleigh's Roads Could Speak: A History of Street Names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I believe Lake Lynn was built in the 1970's for flood control.
"Rebuilt" is a better word. A new, much taller dam was built downstream of the old dam to create a much deeper and longer pool for flood control. If you go to historicaerials.com, click on Viewer, search for Raleigh, and pan to the Lake Lynn vicinity, you can compare the 1968 aerial photo with the 1993. North to south, the 1976 lake is about three times the size of the older lake.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
"Rebuilt" is a better word. A new, much taller dam was built downstream of the old dam to create a much deeper and longer pool for flood control. If you go to historicaerials.com, click on Viewer, search for Raleigh, and pan to the Lake Lynn vicinity, you can compare the 1968 aerial photo with the 1993. North to south, the 1976 lake is about three times the size of the older lake.
OK thanks...interesting stuff.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 29,958 times
This is the kind of stuff you have to look at lots of old maps to gather info.

I can tell you there are lots of interesting tidbits out there about Raleigh. I've only been around here for about 34 years.

A couple examples:
Lake Wheeler Road used to be known as Rhamkatte Road (and variations of spelling of Ramcat, etc). and you can still find some maps with that name for the neighborhood that straddles Lake Wheeler Road, just outside of the Beltline (and near Carolina Pines Community Center and dog park.

Oh, here's one, from a great guy & former Raleigh Firefighter Mike Legeros:
Map of Rhamkatte, 1944*-*Legeros Fire Blog Archives 2006-2015

In fact, when my wife & I lived in the area between 1984 & 1988, we were members of a square dance club called the Rhamkatte Wheel-a-rounds. At that time, you could still find a couple of road signs for Rhamkatte, they said.

One I've been curious about is Rock Quarry Road. Exactly where the rock quarry was, I haven't been able to figure out. Yet. Tho Quarry Street connects E. Lenoir St. with MLK, just a bit west of Rock Quarry Road, and the area is labeled on one map I looked at as 'Quarry Hill'

Other place names live on. There's a neighborhood in what is now West Raleigh, known as Method. Amazingly enough, it's near Method Road, which runs between Hillsboro St & Western Blvd, just inside the Beltline. There's also Millbrook, Bay Leaf, Asbury, and others.

One of the more esoteric bits (IMO) is the area called Dandridge Downs, Southeast Raleigh, just outside the Beltline. Dorothy Dandridge was a African-American actress in film & theatre. Other streets there are Bunche Drive (Ralph Bunche, African-American political scientist, academic & diplomat in the 40's & 50's), and Campanella Lane (Roy Campanella, African-American baseball player of the 40's & 50's ).

Traveling down to where I live, Cary, Kildaire Farm Road was little more than a dirt track heading south out of 'downtown' Cary in the 70's; the manager's house used to sit near where the Wendy's is now on K.F.R, north of Cary Parkway. As things developed, and the farm shut down at that site, the house was moved south, and occupied a big lot just north of where US 1 crosses under K.F.R. It was recently torn down & the land has been developed for some sort of housing.

Those maps at the UNC Library site are invaluable. A great website to get lost in.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 PM

164 posts, read 143,726 times
Is there a connection between the names of Buck Jones Road and Jones Franklin Road?

And from another thread: what about Caitboo Avenue at Crossroads in Cary?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeerHeer View Post
Is there a connection between the names of Buck Jones Road and Jones Franklin Road?
I remember someone telling me about that years ago but I have simply forgotten
My guess is that these were family names living around that location when the roads were given names.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM

379 posts, read 580,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukster View Post
This is the kind of stuff you have to look at lots of old maps to gather info.

I can tell you there are lots of interesting tidbits out there about Raleigh. I've only been around here for about 34 years.

A couple examples:
Lake Wheeler Road used to be known as Rhamkatte Road (and variations of spelling of Ramcat, etc). and you can still find some maps with that name for the neighborhood that straddles Lake Wheeler Road, just outside of the Beltline (and near Carolina Pines Community Center and dog park.

Oh, here's one, from a great guy & former Raleigh Firefighter Mike Legeros:
Map of Rhamkatte, 1944*-*Legeros Fire Blog Archives 2006-2015

In fact, when my wife & I lived in the area between 1984 & 1988, we were members of a square dance club called the Rhamkatte Wheel-a-rounds. At that time, you could still find a couple of road signs for Rhamkatte, they said.

One I've been curious about is Rock Quarry Road. Exactly where the rock quarry was, I haven't been able to figure out. Yet. Tho Quarry Street connects E. Lenoir St. with MLK, just a bit west of Rock Quarry Road, and the area is labeled on one map I looked at as 'Quarry Hill'

Other place names live on. There's a neighborhood in what is now West Raleigh, known as Method. Amazingly enough, it's near Method Road, which runs between Hillsboro St & Western Blvd, just inside the Beltline. There's also Millbrook, Bay Leaf, Asbury, and others.

One of the more esoteric bits (IMO) is the area called Dandridge Downs, Southeast Raleigh, just outside the Beltline. Dorothy Dandridge was a African-American actress in film & theatre. Other streets there are Bunche Drive (Ralph Bunche, African-American political scientist, academic & diplomat in the 40's & 50's), and Campanella Lane (Roy Campanella, African-American baseball player of the 40's & 50's ).

Traveling down to where I live, Cary, Kildaire Farm Road was little more than a dirt track heading south out of 'downtown' Cary in the 70's; the manager's house used to sit near where the Wendy's is now on K.F.R, north of Cary Parkway. As things developed, and the farm shut down at that site, the house was moved south, and occupied a big lot just north of where US 1 crosses under K.F.R. It was recently torn down & the land has been developed for some sort of housing.

Those maps at the UNC Library site are invaluable. A great website to get lost in.
They are great. I've been using it lately to try and identify why I've found NC Civil War Sunburst buttons on my property off Ray Rd/Strickland. Not a typical location for a civil war find

Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
They are great. I've been using it lately to try and identify why I've found NC Civil War Sunburst buttons on my property off Ray Rd/Strickland. Not a typical location for a civil war find
Not really unusual to find artifacts from that period there. In the early 1970's we were surveying a large property on Strickland between Ray and Old Leesville Rd. There were numerous dwelling that dated back to the 1800's. Underneath a small abandoned shack on rock piling I pulled out a stoneware jug with E.B. Taylor Richmond Va. stenciled on the side. Years later I researched it online and found that it dated to 1870's or 1880's. I still have it today sitting on a shelf.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
For Durham, I only know a few.

-University Drive was originally supposed to lead to North Carolina Central University

-Hillsborough Rd, and Roxboro Rd actually take you to Hillsborough and Roxboro. South Roxboro St, however was originally named Pine Street.

-Last year after the Charlottesville Riots, Durham Public Schools decided to remove Julian Carr's name off of one of its buildings. There's still a road named after him on the American Tobacco Campus.

-Buchanan Street in Durham was likely named after James Buchanan Duke. Maybe even Duke Street as well.

-Watts Street was named after George W. Watts, who I believe founded a hospital in Durham.

-I'm not sure, but I think Cornwallis Rd. was named after someone as well.

-The name for Chapel Hill Blvd in Durham is actually Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd, but no one actually says it as Durham to Chapel Hill Blvd.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
-I'm not sure, but I think Cornwallis Rd. was named after someone as well.
I always wondered if that dated back to Gen Cornwallis's campaign in NC in the Revolutionary War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary