Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 04:48 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times

Advertisements

To be honest, LA to Houston/Phoenix/Dallas/Atlanta/Miami would be easier transitions for your wife. Lots of people I know have made the move to NC from LA and most (if not all) hated it. A state that has the same population as LA county can be quite boring and a huge culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 PM

626 posts, read 625,661 times
My family literally just made the move from LA County/Pasadena to NC. My wife did not want to make the move at all either and she fought me tooth and nail, but I sat down with her and did the budget for her to see it then she agreed with me. We moved last month in time for the holidays.

We also were in a 2 bedroom apt in Pasadena, and we are now in a 4 bed room house all the while paying less in rent. I got a job making the same amount of what I was making in Pasadena here in NC. I have a 4 kids so it was choking us as well. Now my kids are playing hide and seek and actually hiding in the house.

What nationality are y'all if you don't mind me asking? My wife is Filipino and loved being in SoCal due to all the other Filipinos. If I were you then look in to the Triad area for you to live. Just be advised that NC does have 4 seasons and right now it is COLD. But the Spring, summer, and fall is great. Also don't forget it actually rains here in NC.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
My family literally just made the move from LA County/Pasadena to NC. My wife did not want to make the move at all either and she fought me tooth and nail, but I sat down with her and did the budget for her to see it then she agreed with me. We moved last month in time for the holidays.

We also were in a 2 bedroom apt in Pasadena, and we are now in a 4 bed room house all the while paying less in rent. I got a job making the same amount of what I was making in Pasadena here in NC. I have a 4 kids so it was choking us as well. Now my kids are playing hide and seek and actually hiding in the house.

What nationality are y'all if you don't mind me asking? My wife is Filipino and loved being in SoCal due to all the other Filipinos. If I were you then look in to the Triad area for you to live. Just be advised that NC does have 4 seasons and right now it is COLD. But the Spring, summer, and fall is great. Also don't forget it actually rains here in NC.
You were fortunate.

We once lived in Los Angeles and understand the difference quite well. We could pick from 2 SCRTD buses for a cheap, direct trip to Santa Monica in 45 minutes.

This area has almost no rail and you must travel on stupidly designed roads, also unlit, to get to many areas.

Now, LA weather is no longer as good and prices are quite high. This may prompt you to consider moving, but do not leave LA unless the place you consider is really a step up.

You need to decide if an over sprawled area with rising prices is what you want. The losers now coming here will raise taxes and prices. Also, the quality of new construction leaves a lot to be desired. When a new home starts bleeding repairs, your bargain may become a budget breaking money pit.

Don't leave LA because of its problems unless the new location is really a benefit.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 PM

346 posts, read 338,926 times
Someone mentioned Atlanta. That is a big city that should help minimize the shock of leaving LA. Went to college in Atlanta and it’s a great place however coming from LA ... the easier transition would be Portland, Phoenix, or Denver.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
For those who found employment, what do you do? Did you find employment remotely or did you find employment after relocating?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
If I were you I would look at the Houston or Dallas areas. They are both very international areas with people from all over the world. Cost of living will be less than California. Your wife would enjoy the urban life and if you live on the outskirts you can enjoy the quiet life. Also, good schools are easy to find and afford.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
Raleigh is super suburban and family friendly. I lived in Los Angeles. It's extremely boring in comparison. However, Cameron Village and North Hills has some shopping options. Some cool nightlife, so maybe she'll meet some friends. People are not as friendly here I have discovered. They are nice and polite, just not friendly until they warm up to you. It can take awhile. There's meet up groups maybe she can scroll over in the area to see if any interest her. There's outdoor things to do with the kids here. the cultural scene is almost none and it's not very diverse. That's just my observation. I'm here for family temporarily.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
You were fortunate.

We once lived in Los Angeles and understand the difference quite well. We could pick from 2 SCRTD buses for a cheap, direct trip to Santa Monica in 45 minutes.

This area has almost no rail and you must travel on stupidly designed roads, also unlit, to get to many areas.

Now, LA weather is no longer as good and prices are quite high. This may prompt you to consider moving, but do not leave LA unless the place you consider is really a step up.

You need to decide if an over sprawled area with rising prices is what you want. The losers now coming here will raise taxes and prices. Also, the quality of new construction leaves a lot to be desired. When a new home starts bleeding repairs, your bargain may become a budget breaking money pit.

Don't leave LA because of its problems unless the new location is really a benefit.

Good luck.
Glad to see you're still playing your greatest hits into the start of 2018. Now, for the real facts about living in North Carolina, at least in the Triangle, there are plenty of neighborhoods that are easy to travel by foot or bicycle if you don't have a car. Many of them are accessible and affordable to downtown areas in Durham, Morrisville, Apex, Hillsborough and so on. True, it's getting pretty pricy to live downtown in Raleigh or Chapel Hill in comparison, but not as bad as much of LA is right now in any respect.

The roads getting to and from places could have better lighting, true, but they're not "stupidly designed" unless you insist all roads should go directly from point A to point B. It's hilly in the Piedmont, so you have to plan roads accordingly.

As for the new home construction quality comments, I can only add this:

Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM

67 posts, read 80,378 times
First, understand that your biggest problem is not where you live... it’s who you’re married to and coming to an agreement (ie compromise) on what is important to you in a new place to live. Affordable housing, job availability, quality of schools, traffic, crime, shopping, weather, etc....

6 months ago I moved my family from SoCal to Raleigh. My kid loves it here, my wife hates it here, and I’m indifferent (I love the southeast, but I don’t care for Raleigh). Here’s a few things you were probably told, like me, that just aren’t true:

Affordability- unless you want a ridiculous commute, houses out here aren’t a bargain if you want to live in a decent neighborhood. Prices are going up every day.

Traffic- driving on winding 2-lane roads with a 35/45mph speed limit has its issues, esp when there’s an accident. The infrastructure here hasn’t kept up with the population. There’s a lot of bad drivers here, which says a lot coming from CA. Along that line, my car insurance rates didn’t go down very much by moving here and gas prices aren’t much cheaper.

Weather- biggest change was the summer rain and humidity, but this cold winter weather was a surprise, esp if you’re used to the dry LA climate

Shopping- high end shopping doesn’t exist here. Flashy cars, expensive handbags, etc are rare to see. Most things are very plain. If that’s not you or your wife, it will be a tough move.

Jobs- people here seem to really be into their degrees. Seems like a Masters here is equivalent to a Bachelors everywhere else.

I’d suggest you have your meeting of the minds with the Mrs and figure out where you want to be. Moving all the way across the country is no small task, and would be a huge waste of time and money if your expectations are too high.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Glad to see you're still playing your greatest hits into the start of 2018. Now, for the real facts about living in North Carolina, at least in the Triangle, there are plenty of neighborhoods that are easy to travel by foot or bicycle if you don't have a car. Many of them are accessible and affordable to downtown areas in Durham, Morrisville, Apex, Hillsborough and so on. True, it's getting pretty pricy to live downtown in Raleigh or Chapel Hill in comparison, but not as bad as much of LA is right now in any respect.

The roads getting to and from places could have better lighting, true, but they're not "stupidly designed" unless you insist all roads should go directly from point A to point B. It's hilly in the Piedmont, so you have to plan roads accordingly.

As for the new home construction quality comments, I can only add this:
Very stupid design. If you want to use the right lane, many roads have right lines that suddenly appear then disappear. What causes it is dumb ways to resolve problems by gerrymandered solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary