Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM

385 posts, read 348,167 times

Advertisements

If you have to work and live someplace Raleigh ranks pretty high. However weather is better on the coast. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Summers here can be pretty brutal here and it doesn't cool off much at night. Traffic here is getting worse also. Nothing special here for shopping. Just a lot more of the same stores. Maybe more selection for senior communities here but I'm not a fan. Everyone i know our age that live in them act 20 yrs older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Why would you not recommend Raleigh for retirement? I’m a suburbs kind of person, like to have stores, grocers close by (don’t expect anything walkable), very good healthcare, mild-ish weather, pretty scenery, close enough for mountains and ocean visits, reasonable traffic, medium size city...seem like a very attractive place to retire. What am I missing?
I do agree with all of the above. The thing is, this area is SO family-oriented, it's hard to avoid tons of kids if you're living in a non-55+ neighborhood. I think it's really hard to fit into some neighborhoods if you're coming in as a retired person without kids. The folks in my neighborhood who are older with no kids, just kind of do their own thing. And I don't blame them.

I think the 55+ complexes around here are obnoxious, but that's just my opinion. They're just acres and acres or the same exact house, very close together. I drove through Carolina Preserve once and I literally felt like I was in the twilight zone or something. I felt like I couldn't get out That monstrosity over by Davis/High house (Searstone?) is even more crazy if you ask me. I once heard they built it "rings", and as you get older you move inward in the "rings", until you're in the center where it's essentially a nursing home. That may be completely untrue - not sure.

Heritage Pines in Cary is a little older, and a little more bearable as far as I'm concerned. Also that one in Apex on Green Level Church that they're building isn't bad either - it's not technically 55+, but geared toward "active living". Can't remember the name of it, but I think it's Toll Brothers.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM

80 posts, read 79,563 times
This is just an opinion and you are the best person to know your desires of course, but for me I would not want to retire here because it is growing far too fast. With explosive growth comes more traffic and higher housing cost. The area is always behind with road construction it seems. And every week it seems I see another huge acreage of woods mowed down by a developer to make room for more high density housing.

We're close to retirement and to me life would feel strange living in a community with people around my same age. I like a good mix of ages. Also, in these 55+ communities, if you have grandkids, are they welcome to come stay for a week and do what grandkids do (make noise and play)? Or would you get complaints from neighbors?

There are trails around some of the lakes, but I've come across quite a few copperheads in those areas, and since I've lived in other areas with more scenic beauty, it's hard to fully appreciate an anemic pale pink sunset over a sea of boring pine trees.

But place is more than that: It's the people. And as someone else pointed out, cliques are a problem here. Plan on starting your own special interest clique with newcomers and you might be okay.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Roads are unlighted and terribly designed.

Idiots fly along at crazy speeds.

Little or no mass transit so, as your driving ability fades, you will be stuck home.

Taxes do not favor seniors.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Little or no mass transit so, as your driving ability fades, you will be stuck home.

I know I'm just feeding the troll, but it really is unfortunate that you spread such BS in this forum.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I have no kids, and after 20 years here, have no worries about future retirement in the Triangle several years out.

Pluses:
Easy access to daily needs.
Great medical care is readily available.
Amtrak.
Very serviceable and easily accessed RDU airport.
Great parks and recreation systems.
Good road system with easy traffic to navigate.
Mild 4 season climate. Subjective, of course. It gets hot. It gets cold. But generally very tolerable to me.
Lots of stuff to do. Arts. Sports. Academic pursuits.
Growing diverse restaurant scene.
Diverse population demographics, representing all age groups.
Low crime rates in most areas.

Most of the area is just very easy to live in. Some find it boring. I don't, but I truly believe that boredom is a choice, an internal condition.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know I'm just feeding the troll, but it really is unfortunate that you spread such BS in this forum.
Wish I could rep you, but still need to spread around a bit more love , I guess.

I did see his screeds on this forum before I moved here 4 years ago. I never gave them any serious consideration, and doubt (hope) that anyone really does. In my opinion, he could not have been more wrong, and we've been very happy here. But even if I weren't happy here, I take accountability for my own choices and don't blame everyone else for how my life turned out.

He's a one-man non-welcome committee for this area.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:12 AM

26 posts, read 27,630 times
Default What he said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Pluses:
Easy access to daily needs.
Great medical care is readily available.
Amtrak.
Very serviceable and easily accessed RDU airport.
Great parks and recreation systems.
Good road system with easy traffic to navigate.
Mild 4 season climate. Subjective, of course. It gets hot. It gets cold. But generally very tolerable to me.
Lots of stuff to do. Arts. Sports. Academic pursuits.
Growing diverse restaurant scene.
Diverse population demographics, representing all age groups.
Low crime rates in most areas.

Most of the area is just very easy to live in. Some find it boring. I don't, but I truly believe that boredom is a choice, an internal condition.
I feel much the same as MikeJaquish stated above; though, my wife and I do have 2 kids who are now grown and off to college. Have lived in Cary for >23 years, during which time the town's population has almost tripled. When the kids were younger, we loved all the activities available through the town, the YMCA, the schools, and other organizations. We also love the easy access to the Outer Banks and the mountains. And we were fortunate to have season tickets when the Canes won the Cup.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:

folks, when you're getting older and your physical condition deteriorates over time, he raises some real points.

You don't see all the old people who hang out in whatever lane they want, driving under the speed limit, and assuredly shake their angry fists at folks who pass them on all sides?

It would be nice to have some major roads that are a little better lit, and ESPECIALLY were easier to drive when raining (our reflective tape doesn't work).

And when you get to where you can no longer safely drive, it's important to know that the normal public transportation today is not going to let you go do whatever and whenever you want.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:

I think his comments are reasonable and are certainly something to consider when thinking about retiring.

There are a lot of roads around here, that have poor or no lighting. As people age, night vision deteriorates and it can be a real issue with driving in the dark. For many activities in the Triangle, driving is the only reasonable option, so the driving conditions of the local roads can be an important consideration.

Along with that, knowing that there is little mass transit is also important. Some people hear the word "city" and automatically assume there is transit available. And while there are buses that may be somewhat convenient for commuting, non-rush hour buses, particularly those at night, are often scarce and unlikely to be a viable option for retirees wanting to go to an evening show or out to dinner.

And while property values and taxes are lower here than NY/NJ/MA/CT, taxes overall are not as favorable as some other southern states people may consider for retirement. Many states do not tax retirement income; North Carolina does. People moving here with a large pension or a large 401(k) will pay state income tax of 5.75%. Taxes, in conjunction with other factors, are something to consider when choosing a retirement locale. It is worthwhile to be aware of tax rates and benefits of each state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary