Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Dunno, if I were Amazon, why pick an already super-congested area? They are already super-expensive to live in, difficult to get around (even where there's decent public transit), and public services are saturated.

In other words, the area around Washington DC and around NYC would be silly picks. Same for Philly.

It would be far more sensible to go with an area that is already up and coming, where people are moving anyway, where there's the possibility of increasing infrastructure, including the space, as well as improving what's there.

I do think that with the advent of self-driving vehicles, extensive public transit might (I regret saying this) be of lesser importance in terms of congestion.

Of course Raleigh is a very good choice, as is Dallas and Nashville.
This is why I, as well as many others, feel that cities like Raleigh, Austin, Pittsburgh, and Nashville actually have a very good chance. They are attractive to millennials, have a strong tech presence, doesn't have the congestion that larger metros do, and most importantly gives Amazon the chance to really brand the city the way it wants.

Boston, NYC, and DC are old, well established cities that may not fit the model for the future that Amazon is looking for. That's why we see a number of these types of cities on the shortlist.

Some of those cities on the list are baffling, like Indy and Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
From the previously linked USA Today Article.....

Quote:
The Raleigh bid puts a spotlight on the city's already well known business hub, the Research Triangle Park, responsible for drawing employees to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, which is home to Duke University and the University of North Carolina. While details are scarce, some reports say the area is offering Amazon up to $50 million in incentives over 24 years.

Possible negative: Growing pains at the Triangle may not be able to keep up with an Amazon influx.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It is definitely a major area of employment for the DC region, as is Dulles. Tysons has the advantage of being centrally located in the DC region, attracting workers from DC, MD, and VA. Dulles is much farther out and would attract mostly Virginia workers with a smaller percentage commuting from DC or MD. I'm not sure where the Northern Virginia proposal is based, but I can see Tysons being a highly attractive contender. Traffic is a nightmare all over the region
That's why they desperately need another river crossing between the Beltway and Point of Rocks, too bad it will never happen.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Amazon HQ2: Charlotte's out. Raleigh's a finalist. It's hard to say what we're about to say | Charlotte Observer

Old 01-18-2018, 05:17 PM

183 posts, read 103,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
They have been developing Tysons Corner into a walkable "downtown" in the DC region over the past several years. It's not very suburban like other Northern Virginia suburbs. In addition to Tysons Mall and the Galleria, there are numerous businesses there like SAIC, Booz-Allen, USAToday, etc. in mid-rise and hi-rise office buildings. There are also numerous hotels as well as apartment buildings. As of a few years ago a new Metro stop was added there - on the Silver line. Every time I go up there, something new has been added it seems.

It is definitely a major area of employment for the DC region, as is Dulles. Tysons has the advantage of being centrally located in the DC region, attracting workers from DC, MD, and VA. Dulles is much farther out and would attract mostly Virginia workers with a smaller percentage commuting from DC or MD. I'm not sure where the Northern Virginia proposal is based, but I can see Tysons being a highly attractive contender. Traffic is a nightmare all over the region
Thats sounds really nice, I lived in ballston in arlington and loved it, tons of walkable places right near my condo and metro stop to go into DC. If I never had to drive I would have stayed. The only problem is the traffic in northern virginia (dc and suburbs) ranks worse istanbul, it just really makes the quality of life and the commute there unbearable at times. https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2017/02/...logged-cities/

I took my father to a nationals game and it took us an hour and half to get out of traffic just to get on 95 and moving to get him back to richmond, that whole mixing bowl area and northern virginia traffic is just insane, there is no "rush hour" like you have in Raleigh, it can be traffic jams at 9 pm

I dont know how you solve it, there is tons of rail and the metro keeps extending but traffic just gets worse every year.You have three autonomous areas, the state of Virginia,DC and the state of Maryland would have to work together to solve the traffic mess and they dont seem to be able to.

I will say its pretty impressive to have three spots though on that top 20 list, Bezos must be thinking about politics

Old 01-18-2018, 05:21 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
The comments on that article are so angsty, lol.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The comments on that article are so angsty, lol.
Lol There wasnt one comment that seemed to congratulate raleigh, it was just how poorly charlotte is treated by raleigh and the state government and how charlotte screwed up. One smart comment , charlottes wealthy should have put there money into making unc charlotte a better school than worrying about nfl,nba teams etc

Duke,UNC and NC state and our colleges are a huge draw for amazon or apple

Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
WRAL said something on the news about a proposal from John Kane for an Amazon "corridor" - ranging from the Warehouse District, up Capital Boulevard

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/01...r-real-estate/
Interesting read. the "prime" corridor lol

I wonder how far up capital blvd. They should just demolish so much of that boulevard, its hideous

Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
Interesting read. the "prime" corridor lol

I wonder how far up capital blvd. They should just demolish so much of that boulevard, its hideous
I just do not see Amazon buying in to the Capital Blvd location. Would not make attractive location for their campus.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:19 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
I just do not see Amazon buying in to the Capital Blvd location. Would not make attractive location for their campus.
It certainly would make sense from a transit standpoint, and located close to downtown Raleigh so it has that going for them.

“The Prime Corridor extends from the edge of Dix Park through the Warehouse district and downtown through West and Peace, Capital and Atlantic Blvds and to Midtown North Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary